i14 single handed

lets just say,hypothetically speaking, i got an international 14. how good are my chances of sailing it 1 nutjob up? in under 7kts without a headsail of course. would reefing points in the main work?

whats with your school boy obsession of trying to show everyone how tough guy you are with single handing stuff! a 3.7 will womp your ass as your upside down calling for mummy! Get a mate and sail it properly. Considering the mast is half again what the jav was your bloody dreaming and how gay it would be singled handed. So un-balanced it will be like riding a bike on one wheel, people may laugh but its not at the bike its at the clown riding it...

nah just saying if you get a skiff like an international 14 sail it like a skiff not like a laser that it was never designed to be. Its the old knife to a gun fight story really. If you use the boat for what its designed for its a) easier B) faster c) you break less as you do things properly.

An international 14 is not a single handed boat full stop...

I've always thought I14s look like great boats, but is anyone racing them in NZ? (realize that's prob. not the point of your question - just curious)

nah just saying if you get a skiff like an international 14 sail it like a skiff not like a laser that it was never designed to be. Its the old knife to a gun fight story really. If you use the boat for what its designed for its a) easier B) faster c) you break less as you do things properly.

An international 14 is not a single handed boat full stop...

Yes but this is JH we are talking about... Let's not get too serious! :D :D

My bigger question wouldn't be what Jordan could do with the i14, but why would you? Why not put the money and more importantly, the time, into the mini? Do apprentice boatbuilders get paid so much they can afford to have half a dozen boats lying around - each of them being sailed half a dozen times before being discarded in favour of the next fad?

Finish your mini Jordan then you can go sailing on your own as much as you like in a boat that was designed to do it!

Are you still giving my mate in Napier the full run around with his I14?

He rang me a while ago to ask if I knew you and if you were for real or a tire kicker, to be honest im not sure which answer is correct these days......

Personally I think you are tugging yourself anyway, why would you bother trying to sail it single handed. What are you trying to prove. How are you going to right it by yourself when you capsize....

Put your efforts into the mini, both time and money or give it to someone who is going to have a real decent crack at it.

You have been given a great opportunity- don't blow it.

yeah its a done deal now booboo. guys im knot trying to prove anything. i think ben hubbard is going to race it with me for the summer. i was also told i couldnt sail a phase 2 or a javelin single handed. but now look, ive got the jav going faster than a 3.7 on all points of sail.. without a jib up. to be honest the thought of going out in 5kts when the crew says 'f**k that theres no wind!' and flying around instead of drifting in a 3.7 sounds like alot of fun. just as i did in the jav a couple of weeks ago when i went out with a couple of 3.7s. marshy do people abuse you for sailing an sr single handed? cause they sure werent designed for it. stop trying to prove something and just sail it the way gary intended.

Haha slight difference there Jordan... No one bags me for sailing my boat because of 3 main reasons:

1) I dont buy and sell every second week and frankenskiff boats to make them singlehandleable when they were cool boats to start with.

2) Its a keel boat, not a skiff. When i had the 18footer i sailed it properly and trust me you will have alot more fun. Hell if you dont i will come and show you how to make it sail properly.

3) I didnt jump on a public forum asking questions about whether its doable just to turn around and say well the other times you said i couldnt i did so stuff the advice - Why ask?

yeah its a done deal now booboo. guys im knot trying to prove anything. i think ben hubbard is going to race it with me for the summer. i was also told i couldnt sail a phase 2 or a javelin single handed. but now look, ive got the jav going faster than a 3.7 on all points of sail.. without a jib up. to be honest the thought of going out in 5kts when the crew says 'f**k that theres no wind!' and flying around instead of drifting in a 3.7 sounds like alot of fun. just as i did in the jav a couple of weeks ago when i went out with a couple of 3.7s. marshy do people abuse you for sailing an sr single handed? cause they sure werent designed for it. stop trying to prove something and just sail it the way gary intended.

A couple of weeks ago when we were out, there was absolutely no wind. You got ONE puff where you got onto the trapeze with the genniker up and maybe hit 6 knots. You weren't faster on all points of sail. We had more speed upwind and were pointing higher. You were faster downwind, but hey, you had about 4 times as much sail up as we did.

The last time I saw you out there in even a mild breeze I smoked past you trapeze reaching out of the bay before you decided your rudder was too heavy to go upwind and pulled out of the race.

With my 3.7, I can sail on the 90% of the days when there is wind, then take a day off when it's nice and sunny and do other things. On most of the days I sail, my 3.7 will double the max speed you can do in the breeze you can handle. So really, who is getting the most out of their boat? I'm still enjoying mine after 4 years, but you want rid of yours after 6 months!

You're an idiot

lets just say,hypothetically speaking, i got an international 14. how good are my chances of sailing it 1 nutjob up? in under 7kts without a headsail of course. would reefing points in the main work?

Well I guess it's fair to say that the answer to that question is a negative!

Not really a No. No-one has said it cant be done, everyone has asked why would you bother? Something about whacking heads against brick walls?

remeber when i was gaining on you upwind aswell gavin? yeah i totally agree that in more than 7kts you are alot quicker. but the new scuppers i put on have completely changed the boat. it actually stays dry now and doesnt want to be a submarine. and no kite reaching in 7kts is borderline. i was wiring the whole time and it was alot of fun. marshy i am going to sail it properly. if you re read the question you will sea that it is more aimed at those days where this is stuff all wind and ben doesnt want to, or cant, come sailing. i dont wanna change the boat, cause i know that it will go alot quicker when sailed properly. i was hoping for someone who has actually sailed 14s to chime in but i guess no one has. i would of been stupid to say no to this deal. also why knot much work has been done on the mini, ive been sprucing up the javelin to make it more sellable 'cause its going on trademe soon. i didnt realise that people would be so negative about someone buying a fast boat and having a go. maybe i should just buy a fast car and become a bouyracer. that way id probably get a better response from you guys!

Archived