i14 single handed

awesome day for it.

we both have 14 foot boats, we should have a race:)

I just need to sort out my new 9 meter mast :)

looks like a lot of fun, did you have the kite out there ?

JH, I'm not sure you can claim to have successfully single handed an i14 really ... not when you only had a Jav main up. What are you going to do if it blows a bit harder, hoist a P class mainsail?? I'm not even sure why you'd want to sail a 2 handed boat single handed .... where's the fun in that?

If you want the freedom to sail single handed when you want but would like to take someone else out on occasion, why not get yourself something like the Weta which is designed to do that kind of thing. I dunno ... just a thought.

To each his own I guess.

fair questions, the javelin main was me being a bit conservative. i didnt have a safety boat out with me so if i ended up capsizing the rig would stick into the sand and i'd really be in the poo. i like sailing 2 man boats by myself cause its more of a challenge and it really tests me. i will be sailing it 2 up as soon as i buy another trapeze harness

I'll race ya single handed, :wink:

You stick with your i14 running the sails of your choice. Of course you'd be mad not to go with as much as possible in order to beat me... But with your first capsize I'll sail away and win... It's a fine balance between enough speed to beat me and not crashing.

I should get my spinnaker this week - now just to find a race course we can both get to....

I do like the battleship grey though, even if it is a little hard to see when you're capsized in the middle of the harbour...

How much wind was there that day, btw?

it does look cool but i think i'll paint P T O in big orange letters on the bottom. can the paperjets be sailing solo with the A rig or do you use a smaller one? it was a westerly, which is an absolute shocker in manly because you get the breeze coming down out of the valley, a breeze out of swan cove on the point and then a breeze coming around the point. so a steady 15kts out of the bay and a 1-15kt all over the f-ing show wind in the bay. its good fast sailing in the puffs but very very tricky to read them cause each one brings a massive wind shift

PaperJet can be single handed with the kite. Was designed for it. But I think I'll need to eat some more pies before doing so in anything more than about 7-8 knots. Already on a reach in 10-12kts she's a handful two up unless you both hike like crazy. only have one trapeze set up at the moment, so the helm can't hike properly - need to fix that before hoisting the kite me thinks.

What's the luff length on your i14?

although I may have asked that Q before... hey, i'm getting older

This thread cracked me up .. Thanks chaps ! You know what - I used to race I14s in the UK . I tried single trapezing my vintage '49 one - and later my asymmetric Morrison. It can be done I assure you. BUT .. that wind had better be light And consistent, AND you have got to be super quick playing the main. It Can be done .. complete waste of time, other than for a bit of fun .. Looks cool though, when you Know that you can do it .. Cheers DHRB

Archived