Simrad 60

Marshy

But you took a shortcut
Yes but after we stopped for lunch... and a long lunch it was.

I must say some of the big fleet sailing past us down the Bays looked damn cool. See the lights and then the silhouette coming out of the dark. The darker sails can give some cool efects.... or maybe it was it the rum. Wobblykins (and he was very wobbly by the time we got to the marina carpark :) ) spotted a fizzy roaring up behind us and said I hope he's seen us. As it got closer we saw it had sails and was smokin, also the nav lights were a long way apart. Didn't look large so we were picking that as Charleston. She was going great guns and did look more like a fizzy than a yacht with the speed, it was a big step up from everything else around us at the time. This was off the bottom end of Long Bay after we, and a few others had gone inshore.

We pasted just behind Timberwolf in the Tiri Pasage. She got home 85 mins before us, probably 70 odd as we still had to pop around Navy at the time. She was looking good and sliding along real nice. Wickedly cool silhouette at night time, had quite a Star Trek thing going on with little sparkles of Phos coming off the arma bows.

We pasted just behind Timberwolf in the Tiri Pasage. She got home 85 mins before us, probably 70 odd as we still had to pop around Navy at the time. She was looking good and sliding along real nice. Wickedly cool silhouette at night time, had quite a Star Trek thing going on with little sparkles of Phos coming off the arma bows.

We just had the most awesome beat home from Tiri passage.

We had stuck left on the run and right on the beats in case the breeze got a bit more west in it.

At Flat rock we were basically miles behind the first three multis, in virtually no wind, and really saw no one but there were a lot of Dolphins.

But once at Tiri there were literally boats everywhere. Mostly Shorthaul. But we thought we saw Charleston going along the Bays off Long Bay. But couldn't be too sure.

But we absolutely smoked home in a beautiful 15 knot SSW.

The boat is just a delight to sail once its powered up, it is very light on the helm, points really well and we go very fast through the water.

We had no idea at this stage that we were catching Taeping and got a massive shock before the finish when they popped out ahead to beat us by under 3 minutes.

Then after the finish we saw 888 and were delighted that we weren't too far behind the winners, either.

By the laws of averages in Simrads we are in for a stonking breeze in the last race and we just couldn't be looking forward to a race in a bit of wind.

The last race looks like being pretty interesting for the elapsed time prize in the Smallboat fleet (Quarter Pint v Overdraft) with less than a minute in it at this stage. Hoping we can stay close enough to watch a great display of matchracing, although Bays Flyer is right up there as well. Quite tight too at the top of the Shorthaul fleet.

Guest mental outlook

That may have been us on Attitude, upwind speed was 11-12 knots over the ground.

We banged right fairly early on after Tiri and could see someone in front of us closer to the beach.

Didn't look like said boat had ANY lights on from behind.

May have been MO, it's sure wasn't TW or a big one, nav lights low so must have been on the hulls. All the boats by us, all long haul, looked lit OK but one did have a limp masthead stern lite we noticed as she slipped past. Was on and visible but it wasn't that strong.

Whoever the multi, no way it was a mono, was she was smoking along, so much so we did think it was a fizzy until the sails got silhouetted, and they weren't huge looking. Couldn't quite make out if it was heavily square topped mainsail wise. She tacked before us group of mono's did, we all went quite hard inshore where the multi tacked a little sooner.

Ya have to love night races like that when you arrive at the finish zone to be surprised by other boats in your fleet. We had one pop up 100mts from the finish much to our surprise, and probably theirs, as we skimmed across their bow.

Guest mental outlook

Yeah that sounds about right.

We tacked before the the mono's in front of us, and that would make sense with the weak masthead tricolour.

Charlestons Report.

Had an average start which forced us to tack off & then tack back & sit on the fleets hip, this probably helped us as we got clear air & rolled over the rest of fleet & back into 888 & Taeping whilethey parked up before Waiheke, We got thru the parkup relatively unscathed pretty much level with Taeping & 888, Taeping tacked back in towards Waiheke , while us & 888 stayed on the one tack basically to the lay line, got lifted up under Taeping & overtook them towards Gannet – may have had a bit more breeze further out, Akatea, Floyd, Starlight & Wired rounded Gannet before all the multis, in that order.

We were very slow in hoisting around gannet & 888 & Taeping were gone., Once we got going we slowly hauled in Taeping, crossing gybes a few times. 888 went to their reacher – so we assumed must have damaged there Gennaker. Towards Flat the brezze went very soft & we were able to put a bit of distance on Taeping.

Btwn Flat & Motorua Taeping initially steamed into us using a reacher – we stayed on a headsail for to long, the brezze lighted off & we were only just making way behind Motorua, Taeping & 888 stayed a fair wayout along the keel boats who came back into us, in the very light stuff btwn Flat & Motorua.

Around Motorua we had Taeping & 888 tucked away about 500m to leeward, that was the last we really saw of them was’nt able to keep track in darkness. We only made about 4 – 7 Knots boatspeed between Motorua & Whangaparoa on average. Only boats we could see slowly catching were Wired & Akatea.

Thru Tiri Passage brezze built a bit more, probably only about 8knts, boatspeed about 8knts, We crossed tacks with Wired (we dipped a few tacks after Whangaparoa, about this stage our Port Nav Light gave up the ghost, (Now off the boat & fixed) Brezze built a bit more & we were able to pass Wired again basically we stayed in contact with Wired all the way up the beat – Boatspeed never really above 10.

About Rangi Light we saw 888 Loom thru the darkness moving rather fast. They continued to gain on us after crossing Tacks afew times , until Under North head where they basically sailed thru our lee when the breeze went soft, either under momentum or more breeze higher up. After this we had a little match with race to the finish 888 & a Elliot 50 Tourer thrown into the mix to make things interesting (breeze was probably about 5knts) Coming into the finish about 25m we & the elliot forced 888 to tack onto starboard, which gave us no where to go apart from into the back of the keel boat – tacked off , tacked back, & then had to tack back to get over the line, wasn’t sure who got the gun till read the results on the website.

Overall enjoyed the race probably could’nt of had better conditions for us, plan was always to take it very easy. – Also was amazed at how quick Timberwolf , & Borderline & Attitude came back into all of us on the beat. – Now just have to decide if we do the next one in the little boat?

- Shane

The last race looks like being pretty interesting for the elapsed time prize in the Smallboat fleet (Quarter Pint v Overdraft) with less than a minute in it at this stage. Hoping we can stay close enough to watch a great display of matchracing

nothing like going into the last race as a marked boat. was pretty close to a match race in the last 2 races really. cept they had a much bigger lead in the 2nd race that we clawed back. first race we were just that 33s behind the whole way. race 2 they were the same distance behind, just that we were all going slower.

Yep col, Overdraft got away quickly - we were right next to them at the start of the last race but they accelerated a bit quicker than us off the line, funnily enough. You came up through the fleet pretty well and seemed to manage to hold your kite for quite a while in that tricky Waiheke bit. We should have headed offshore earlier like you guys, but glad we got out when we did at least.

A little soul destroying having a lead like that eaten into almost as quick as it was gained but this is yacht racing I guess...

We are definitely looking forward to the 3rd and final showdown!

Ok, I'll settle for that :lol: What if I claim to be at 94% the performance of a true world class sailor on only my 5th time out on the boat??

I gotta get some glamour somewhere.

So many questions and such a small internet to ask them all on.

1) Do these statistics indeed reflect any actual improvement in sailing prowess or do Ross 40s simply go a bit faster in the light? Could it be race 2 was in fact worse?

2) I note a difference in crew between race 1 and race 2, Smithy may wish to elaborate, possibly in conjunction with point (1)?

3) I note a difference in crew between race 1 and race 2, Atom Ant may wish to elaborate

4) If in indirectly attributing improvement to himself, is Squid not implying that Atom Ant and Smithy contributed equally little, Smithy and Atom Ant may both wish to comment

5) Could it be Squid is in fact equally as proficient is the previous owners and Smithy and Atom Ant are in fact dragging the chain by something around 15%, Squid, Atom Ant and Smithy may all wish to comment?

6) The boat is the same, one crew change with slight change in performance and one crew stayed the same, should we not therefore assume the big difference in performance which applies to both races may in fact be the one crew member who sailed both races?

7) Whilst I would not wish to speculate on Leslie's weight in a public forum, could the performance change be attributed to a slight discrepancy between the current and former crew physique?

I await a most thought provoking and productive discussion on these many interesting issues.

1) Do these statistics indeed reflect any actual improvement in sailing prowess or do Ross 40s simply go a bit faster in the light? Could it be race 2 was in fact worse?

2) I note a difference in crew between race 1 and race 2, Smithy may wish to elaborate, possibly in conjunction with point (1)?

3) I note a difference in crew between race 1 and race 2, Atom Ant may wish to elaborate

4) If in indirectly attributing improvement to himself, is Squid not implying that Atom Ant and Smithy contributed equally little, Smithy and Atom Ant may both wish to comment

5) Could it be Squid is in fact equally as proficient is the previous owners and Smithy and Atom Ant are in fact dragging the chain by something around 15%, Squid, Atom Ant and Smithy may all wish to comment?

6) The boat is the same, one crew change with slight change in performance and one crew stayed the same, should we not therefore assume the big difference in performance which applies to both races may in fact be the one crew member who sailed both races?

7) Whilst I would not wish to speculate on Leslie's weight in a public forum, could the performance change be attributed to a slight discrepancy between the current and former crew physique?

I await a most thought provoking and productive discussion on these many interesting issues.

1. Both races have pluses and minuses. Race 1 got beaten by Coppelia and the J102. Race 2 we didn't. Race 1 we were about 12 minutes behind Kiwi. Race 2 we were 50 min... Swings and roundabouts.

2. Helming and crewing shared in race 1. Not sure about race two.. (Did you wrestle the helm off him AA?) Equal share of good and bad (crew and helm) in race 1. Squid and AA may care to elaborate about race 2??

3. See above.

4. I know that I stuffed the start in race 1. Squid let the genniker go swimming, and we were both to lazy to go up front and change down to the #2 after Waiheke..... :lol: :lol: can't comment on what Squid is alluding to.

5. Could be!! But Leslie told me to drag the kite halyard out the back on the drop and somehow we both forgot that so the answer I guess is NO.

6. Could be. Could be all crew members are equally average compared to the previous owners.

7. That's a lot of blame to pin on a few kg... :wtf: :wtf:

Report From Voom

This race had ‘the saint’ come up from Wellington to race with me, as my crew from the first race (and for the 3rd race) had to be at work. Start was OK, although we thought the boats out to the right were looking better. Kyle worked hard and we managed to sneak under rental going through the Motuihe channel, and then it all went pear shaped for us. Big hole, unsure of whether to head out to sea, or stay in close to Waiheke. We split the difference, which on reflection did not seem to work ,and we should have headed into Waiheke earlier. Exodus and attitude sailed away from us at this point, may have been the tide sucking as back in…

Rental and Hyper went from being miles behind, to equal, perhaps in front in the case of hyper, and then as we got near to gannet, we managed to pull out a small lead. Very disappointed to see rental turn around with damage, was shaping up to be a repeat of race 1 match around the gulf.

Half way to flat rock, we were feeling pretty lonely in terms of multis, and our motivation was consequently a bit low. Difficult sailing at night with no instruments as well, and no boats around us. May have been pointing too high, and not footing off enough, but with no multis around, hard to tell.

We got a bit of breeze at tiri, maybe a few gusts to 15, but in general, seemed less than 10 all the way back home. We should have tacked into the bays to avoid tide, but for a long while, it looked like we were laying nicely, so didn’t bother. Next time we will….

Had some close crosses with boats coming into the finish, including with Zen and Squid.

Thanks to the SSANZ committee, and Kyle for coming all the way up from welly.

Here is the track. Covered 83nm in 12hrs 15mins. Average speed 6.8knots

20110813 SIMRAD 60.JPG

Ask smaller questions then.

Now go put that dodgy Marauders handicap up. To add to the fun value drop the Whitings one................ then stand well back, I would expect some dude wildly ranting roughly 0.00002 seconds after he finds out. Tape that call, I'm damn sure it would be very funny to listen to :) :)

Go on, I know you want too ;)

Archived