Simrad 60

Marshy

Really KM, you don't think he'd be doing as well as he is if I had anything to do with the handicaps do you?

Bit concerned about this Marshall Law mob though, all very polite, one's giving all credit to the autohelm and the other has not only broken out with a case of rampant honesty to some blatent stirring, but seems to be agreeing with two thoughts I thought diametrically opposite. I'm starting to suspect a virulent case of political correctness has broken out on the boat, AA hasn't replied as yet, probably been put into an isolation ward.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I just had a certain Marauder owner on the phone saying stop picking on him and he's being harassed on the race track by some dodgy dudes in a Whiting....... that is speeding up and should have it's handicap raised.

And I was right, it didn't take long and was a funny phone call.

I love it when a plan comes together :thumbup:

Really KM, you don't think he'd be doing as well as he is if I had anything to do with the handicaps do you?

Bit concerned about this Marshall Law mob though, all very polite, one's giving all credit to the autohelm and the other has not only broken out with a case of rampant honesty to some blatent stirring, but seems to be agreeing with two thoughts I thought diametrically opposite. I'm starting to suspect a virulent case of political correctness has broken out on the boat, AA hasn't replied as yet, probably been put into an isolation ward.

:lol: :lol: :lol: You'll have to do better than that to get a bite Mark! :D Trouble is, we both know our limitations and what we did wrong..... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

That why one of last weeks crew wasn't that sure which way to stand when using wheel steering??

The other shot was after them wondering around the fleet looking very much 'Bill and Ben Go Boating' trying to bludge a winch handle or 2. They decided you probably did have some somewhere but they were just very good at playing hide and seek :) :)

I didn't post another shot where the 2 had decided the bulbs on the front of ships must make then faster so the 2 lads had altered their body silhouettes to match :twisted: :lol:

Oh yucky. Just noticed AA may have actually been peeing his pants as he had seen a gust coming....................... or maybe the motor was running ;)

post-646-141887185693.jpg

post-646-141887185724.jpg

The Cool Change's Race

Firstly a big thanks to all of the series organisers from SSANZ for their patience and dedication. During the week I had decided that a code 0 would be a nice to have and thanks to WT it happened. The motor to North Leading in the fog wasn’t a promising start to the day. We followed one of the big boats down assuming that they were more likely to be seen. It was nice to see the sun, and ultimately some breeze, and a start. The code 0 was a nice sail to have for the lead through to Waiheke but a couple of big headers saw us heading out to Tiri, and then nothing only to watch as the Mercenary steamed passed us a couple of lengths to windward. Decided then to head out from Waiheke and managed to carry the code 0 even if it was a bit low to start with. We hung in and the breeze swung. Ultimately we had to go back to the number 1 to climb over Gannet, arriving with the Pepe and a couple of other boats. We hoisted the m/hd gennie but realised our mistake as the Pepe started to power away faster and lower. We then peeled to the M/hd kite and followed them across to Tiri switching back to the code 0 as the breeze moved forward. We rounded a few minutes behind Pepe, tacked and then hung onto the starboard tack, for to long. Ended up going back to the Number 1 for height and hung on right across to Motutapu getting good lifts all the way but well out of touch with the other short haul boats. A couple of short stabs on port saw us staying out of the tide and keeping in behind Rangi light. It was very tempting to try and get back across and in touch with the lights we could see hugging the coast. Once past RL we kept in shore until we could lay through North Head. Pleased to see the finish but disappointed that we had opted not to go along the Bays and stay in ouch with the others. By the time we got back to Westhaven we’d talked ourselves into last place and were surprised not to see Pepe and E-nine back on their moorings. Pleasantly surprised when we saw them come in later. Pleased to put good time on the Pepe on the beat home but still plenty to learn. Every now and then the decision making and the sailing find congruence. Just not often enough. Maybe next time. By the way my nav lights were the bright ones.

photo_2655.jpg

It felt fast and high but we should have stayed in touch with the other boats. Bump n Grind put time on us as did a couple of 88s so Bays was probably the go. I went the Rangi way because I've been slaughtered on the other board so many times. Tide was only a factor down by Rangi light by which time we could keep out of it (mostly).

The 2011 SSANZ B&G Simrad 60…. a Young 88 “Tail”

As a little boy (and still today), I loved a story about Scuppers the Sailor Dog.

Scuppers wanted to go to sea, and like myself he found a little boat with a sail, that had a hook for his coat, and a hook for his hat, and when it was dark he made his bed and went to sleep.

Well he did, however I was on the harbour in this month’s Simrad 60, but still with that childhood dream. There are a few points that Scuppers had the benefit of, one being that he wasn’t amongst the most competitive fleet of Young 88s searching for every second of performance, it wasn’t cold, he remembered his lunch, and didn’t forget his long pants!

Saturday 13th August started early with a decibel deafening blast on the sound system of various artists who I understood were to have motivated the athletes who had run faster, flew further, and set records that stand today.

There was little breeze, the sea was flat, and a fog from the cool evening took its time to clear. The morning offered nothing and an AP as expected was signaled.

After a short couple of hours, the great race was on. The easterly of 5 knots had come in. On days like this you wish the main hoisted another 20 mtrs and the class jibs were not to dissimilar to the zero’s of a Volvo 70.

We were looking forward to a lot of transoms. Not the start we wanted and half expecting a bucket not weed I checked the rudder. The light weather manual suggested twist and weight forward. Both were dialed in and the pace improved.

I know you make your own luck, but we were just fortunate to be that far behind, we saw the hole many had fallen into just off the edge of Waiheke. With the pace of a snail, we moved through the park up, finding ourselves mid fleet.

Outrageous Ross was heading to shore, Flash Dougie appeared backing up, and there was Heaven offering nothing but Hell. The eagerness to go wide was soon balanced by the lifting pressure off the coast and many had found it. Mike and Rod’s War Machine, Skitzo, and Cosa Nostra stuck it out there, finally lifting to course as we approached the Rock.

It’s been years since I was down the back of Waiheke, and you’re reminded what’s there and the appeal that took you there those years before. These Simrad’s get you out.

We had the kite to contend with next, as we rounded Gannet Rock and set up for Navy Buoy in the Tiri Channel.

I did the bow, set the pole, got the brace back and stood by for the hoist. With Tom in the back I was concerned the kite would not hoist quick enough and was about to assist at the mast. My thoughts turned from can it happen to “made”. I had rope burn from being slow to keep up, and was now concerned we had pulled the head through the little sheave. Tom takes about 5 metres in each arm’s length and just “sorted” it.

Jib down, the chase was on. Heartlight was only just ahead, we had already seen Des on Nijinski, Nathan’s Slipstream, Yarko Sailor, and Flash Dougie round as we approached and they were goneski!

It was all about little gains, easy movement around the deck, soft helm, gentle trim. Closing on Heartlight took some time as we battled, finally earning the right to pass. On dusk the dolphins came over to visit, and the day became night. A cool night……. not a shorts night!

The boats visible in the distance had dropped their kites and were tight coming into the Tiri Channel. We went high in the hope of holding it for longer as Des had, but that went wrong and then you question your logic, your skill, realising why you’re not in Europe on cats, wingsailing.

We didn’t give up and it was all on again for the long leg from Tiri up to town. I can’t say how I know this but it has worked each time before…… the breeze lifts coming into the bays, and thinking we were out of tide, we beat into the coast and lifted in calmer waters at a speed generally reserved for naval aviators.

The pain of the cold on my knees that bleed foredeck, lessened as I realised the shadow crossing ahead was an 88. Sailing fast we cover tacked, match racing still after 40 miles. Another 88 ahead, it’s Nijinski Des.

We invite ourselves though the little window left open, heart rate at 160, it’s uncharted territory at 140, so 160 has us gasping for oxygen and recalling the emergency 3 digits. The tension is almost unbearable, but we stay focused on trimming a headsail we can’t see.

It’s almost over, the day has been long, the sun set many hours earlier. We cross the channel of an outgoing tide to Orakei. We can’t make it, it will be two tacks and in.

The lights of a hunting pack close on us, but they too are drawn down by the force of the tide and we flop over for a cross and sigh, what a finish, so close, Yarko just ahead, Dougie already heading home, but its Slipstream sailed by a fantastic couple, who are deserved victors in the Young 88s.

Congratulations all, and big thanks to the volunteers of SSANZ. We each won our own battle, and we loved it when we hated it, and like Scuppers, we’re grateful we had the opportunity to go to sea.

Rick Hackett

Skitzo

post-3043-141887185735.jpg

post-3043-141887186039.jpg

post-3043-141887186042.jpg

post-3043-141887186044.jpg

post-3043-141887186046.jpg

Last photo is great showing nav lights and TIRI light :thumbup:

Shows 4 out of 5 yachts prefer masthead tricolours :thumbup:

No who would have known that statistic :?: :oops: :thumbdown:

where's my bucket, red one with a black handle and orange fleck lanyard. tried the seaweed but they wouldnt stay on. My knots must have let go from the bucket, the water was a bit cold also.

Next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Archived