johnMi

Bean Bags

I've seen a few beanbags on various boats and wondering about a few things

1. Are they waterproof enough

2. Can you tie them down

3. Roughly what's the price

4. where can I buy a couple

Hi John

Beanbags are great for boats. We had them on sweeny comming back from little barrier in the simrad, 14 hours up wind and comfortable.

You can get waterproof ones. I think the best boating ones are from a lady that use to advertise here. Can't remember who sorry.

We have a couple on royale that we got from ezybuy and they are all good

don't go the waterproof way. Waste of time.

I've used a tough mesh bean bags, that allows the water to flow out.

Makes them easier to drip dry and not try to be comfortable on a sodden mass that will never dry.

Easier to rinse out all the smelly salty stuff upon reaching port or freshen up with some detergent during a decent rainshower in the doldrums.

Think comfort!! KNOT SMELLY SODDEN MASSES.

don't go the waterproof way. Waste of time.

I've used a tough mesh bean bags, that allows the water to flow out.

Think comfort!! KNOT SMELLY SODDEN MASSES.

.........so where do we get them???

Don't know about Chch.

There was a bean bag maker in Panmure but that building has been pulled down recently. There is one who advertises here, as mentioned above.

JohnMi: It's really a question of specifying what material you want e.g. a thin but strong plastic mesh, plastic zip & puller PLUS

Adding some straps on the outside, possibly a loop at the top or grommets, so you can rinse / dryout by hanging on a boom.

Any sailmaker / cover maker should be able to knock one up. I would try the furniture shops, kids section. See what sizes are available / what you want for your needs / onboard storage etc.

Basically they are 4 triangles, with a square base.

Try google?? for a pattern. Spotlight stores?? Warehouse?? K-Mart??

1st hit from google: bean bag pattern =>

http://the-linen-cupboard.blogspot.com/2009/12/beanbag-chair-pattern.html

Bought one of the indoor outdoor ones from the warehouse. $49 and it has an internal bag and canvas outside. Can say it floats! And it is fine with rum and beer spillage and is minta on the Mercenary.

was that a serious post paulR?? $1200???

F*ck me.

I have bought 4 Bags from Jilly beans, they are great. 2 for Voom, 2 for my folks. Excellent quality.

Nobody else quoted so I thought I would use the important words of "MARINE" "GOOD" to imply the high quality aspects and "MESH" being a different from normal material.

It gave everybody a starting point.

Now those who have paid less are happy with their budget options and the world has gone around.

Alternatives would be: Choose any 2 of: "QUICK, GOOD & CHEAP".

Still happy to supply as quoted.

WARNING: Tread Drift

If you think I'm expensive, I have just been quoted by VECTOR / NORTHPOWER $5,071 for digging a hole in the footpath and putting an electrical pit in the ground for elecrical supply, in the footpath next to my water meter. The power pole is 3m away max including the dog leg (right angle).

And they wanted payment in advance.

Currently the council has dug up the footpath and is laying new concrete as I type.

Vector said " We will dig that up again, and then reinstate."

The council have done all the digging and backfilled after Telecom dropped their wires in the trench.

This has nothing to do with the services on my property as I have already dug the 70 meter trench and put all services in. Admittedly the power is just orange trunking with a draw string at this stage.

Crazy really, But guess what :?: :?:

If I don't pay they will do it for FREE when all the power supply in the road is put underground.

No brainer from my wallet's viewpoint.

Archived