Where are the shorthanded races?

OK so it's time to start sussing the 11/12 season programme.

I know of -

SSANZ

WBC

Panmures

Bucks

PCC

DYC

Talking solo or 2 handed only. Series or single races, doesn't matter.

Any others out there I've missed?

Oh and better add in John Mi :lol: Which I may add I have raced solo against while he was also solo, neither of us died even if he did try to sink a channel marker while dodging a boat load of coppers fishing :lol:

theres the J L Harkin honourary yacht squadron i14 & javelin single handed series coming up in a few weeks. its an invite only series though

:lol: :clap:

No one can beat you if you're the only one racing! I guess you could take a fair beating from your boat though. Particularly if the rig falls on you.

KM, which of the clubs listed run a singlehanded (with extras) race?

I know there is more than 1 multi sailor keen to race in a race like that. Wonder if any would let the multis play?

Weiti run 2 single handed races with extras in their shorthanded series. We welcome all comers, unicycles, bicycles, tricycles are all welcome! Keep an eye on www.weiti.co.nz over the next few weeks. Summer NoR's will be up soon. If you want a schedule of our summer sailing just let me know & I'll send it to you.

Ah KM

we DID survive, even the channel marker survived.

That was a good race, so I am going to try to get to Weiti again this yr.

Clipper, that's with extras.

(we should try and talk BooBoo, or Creepy or some of the others into it)

Sadly the CC, WI and Tauranga are out until after the rebuild. She'd do it but the nursing factor we are running at the moment would just annoy me too much. Nothing structural but we do have a fair few bits of deck gear that is being held together with 1000mph tape :) Don't want to change them now as there is some tweaking I want to do with positions etc during the big tickle.

Squaddy and Richmond added to the list.

Clipper, all of those I listed use extras or have a extras and a non-extras Div. No idea which ones, if any, say no to multis. I'd think most wouldn't mind but that is only a guess.

Re the Weiti Shorthand Series. I've had a couple of other harbour dwellers saying they are keen to come up and watch me kick Bump N Grind again :twisted: ..... sorry, do the Series. It's looking like that Series may have a nice number of visitors next/this season. It's top of my 'to do' list for sure as it's damn well run, great courses and the handicapper is good at his job, very good. Nice to bimble up the Coast the evening before and park up in Arkles for a few quiets, which have turned to louds once or twice. Parked up at the jetty a few times and one or 2 of those have got real loud, a cunning pan by the WBC Black Ops team to nobble me I'm sure. Race the next day and bimble home after. For a ditch dweller that means a nice 60-70 miles split into 3 sections over 24hours, nice. And I've left at 7-8am some mornings, raced and been home 12hrs later.

It is a 15ml odd trek to get to the start area, and the same home after (for us ditch dwellers), but in the scheme of things it isn't hard nor a pain to do. Quite pleasant really on those 10-12kt twilight breezes with stereo cranking, beers in hand and Ray the auto driver doing it's thing. And interestingly enough 90% of the time it's a easy lay or reach home, only once or twice over the couple of Seasons I've done it has a tack been involved.

If you want to have a crack at short handed the WBC series is well worth the effort. A good mix of races and courses that will give you a good work out, you get to sail in some beautiful non-yellow buoy infested waters, watch Bump N Grind try to rearrange the Hauraki gulf island lay out and you'll learn a lot. Also a good mix of boats so there is always someone to play next to. And worth noting the Series involves a mix of solo and 2 handed races, even a His and Hers and a big Olympic course to finish on. Some courses go thru the Tiri Passage and some go Rangi way.

Sounds pretty good doesn't it. Book it in now, I know you want to :thumbup:

And yes we sure did survive John. Luckily you were there and in front for that one, I had no idea where the course went so was following you :)

It was good that we came up to spoil your clean sweep was it?

It was good you came up and gave us a good laugh with your crazy ivan tactics. You were like D1 driving, the wheel (your tiller) seems to aim in the same direction your eyes are, be it down the race track or that hot chick in a bikini 90 degree off somewhere else :) :) I think you need to work a bit on that ;)

Clean sweep?? Haven't had one yet, got close but that bastard Bump N G is a real party pooper you know and Yes you didn't help last year either Mr Changed.

Last Series I only got 3rd.... which was above Bump, just thought I'd remind Bruce and JH of that while I can after seeing some new pointy end sails arrive on their bow, I may knot have the chance to do it again :twisted: :lol:

But then I may have been shopping also lately...........

:lol: :lol: I'm knot even a member of WBC, but I suppose I should be seeing I have also driven their Patrol Boat a few times.

AA, you watching this?? Keep us all informed please. That is called deligation :lol:

Ya never know that now Clipper may come for a play Pedro's pitchfork may have to come to play also. Oh and Kant Know. And a certain other green westhaven dwelling tweaked pitchfork did express some interest last season. Obviously JohnMi will be there now :twisted: :lol:

WTF am I doing building a multi fleet?? Something's going wrong here :?

Pine Harbour has a great single handed weekend to Gulf Harbour, stay the night, then race home. No extras I'm afraid..

HOWEVER!!!

My next project is to promote through SSANZ, a decent sized single handed race. It will be coastal, so not so far that anyone needs a sleep. But not so short as to make it easy. A hundred miles or so. We've only just started talking about it so a bit of input here might go a long way. Courses? Time of year? To somewhere and bbq brekkie? That sort of thing. Oh yes, definitely extras. It is SSANZ.

In Tauranga the Mount Club run a 2 handed series throughout the winter season then TYPBC in the Summer have a 2 handed division in their Friday night and weekend races as well as a single handed round Karewa Island race, not sure of the dates yet maybe Ballystick knows?

New thread for that I think Zen. I like that idea a lot and I can see a healthy discussion as to what, when, where etc.

[edit] New threat started for Zen.

[edit-2] Knot sure if Zen needs new threats so I should say I meant 'new thread started' :)

Archived