LARGE Solo race in the offing, comments please

I like the idea of a finish at Barrier, don't fancy doing a long race, drinking a bit to much then having to race again. Would like to make the trip up to do this one.

Thats were Whitianga could also work really well

About 40 nm in two different directions

To a place most never sail to

Appeal to more than just Akld boats

Cruise,race or what ever home

Down side is nav into may make a friday night start work ?

The Great Auckland Solo Sports Challenge; Iron Man, Cycling, Sailing etc. All start same place,same time. A real solo sports extravaganza. Lots of publicity. Start in the Orakei area, one gun!

Bit of a thread drift but I've bin mulling over a run from the Mt Eden summit to Orakei, a sail to Gt Barrier and a run to the top of Mt Hobson.

Substantially more hard core would be a Bethells to West Harbour run, a sail to Corromandel and a run over the hill to Whangapoua or thereabouts.

Just for the hell of doing it really.

Obviously something to do to liven up some old NW/W/SW/S day.

Running???? Iron Man??? WTF??? I think it's lucky Squid doesn't drug test some Crewers ;)

Zens last post I do like the idea of..... especially the no arse bit :lol:

I like the idea of a finish at Barrier, don't fancy doing a long race, drinking a bit to much then having to race again. Would like to make the trip up to do this one.

Thats were Whitianga could also work really well

About 40 nm in two different directions

To a place most never sail to

Appeal to more than just Akld boats

Cruise,race or what ever home

Down side is nav into may make a friday night start work ?

I'm just not sure about where to stay in Whitianga. The Marina wouldn't take the sort of numbers we're talking, neither would Back bay, the main channel is out of the question. That might leave Flaxmill bay. We could probably arrange a shuttle to Ferry Landing I guess. Bears thinking about.

Whatever is organised there needs to be a social aspect. If it's a two handed/ single handed / fully crewed kind of approach the the SH guys will be lost in the crowd. The enjoyable thing about the Bucks series is that it is single handed, extras or none. The get-together at the end of the first day is great fun and the race home on the Sunday an added challenge. Longer courses good. Would be great to have an epic SH event. cat 3 plus is acceptable and very achieveable for most though you won't need a dan buoy unless you're going to tie yourself to it before you are the MOB.

Would be very tempted to follow up Willow for this one so Whitianga would really suit. Having done more than my share of double and singlehanded I would caution having courses that have skinny bits to go through well into the race as when 20 hours into it a bit of sea room can be important for tired people.

Raoul Is to Port and return?

I reckon that's brilliant. But for another day. Baby steps Squid, baby steps.

Here's a baby step.

Northern leading

Waiheke to port

Ruths Passage

Cow & Calf

Gannet

Oneroa

That's the smallboat/cruising course. 50nm

Here's the big boat one

After Cow & Calf

Motuora to Port

Rakino Channel

Oneroa

90nm

BBQ hosted by some Waiheke identities saturday night.

please yourself Sunday, Not far to get home.

The biggest problem I see with a close finish, a lot of the competitors will just sail home after finishing and what makes these events is the bs either after or at half time

The Mercs could also work

Any one else out there with ideas or will you all just turn up if we make it happen ?

Good course Zen

I reckon Waiheke is still far enough away to keep most people out for post match events. Could always finish at Te Kouma or possibly even down the bottom end to keep a bit more distance from home.

To be getting up on a Sunday morning in Fitzroy after a big night and sailing home SH might not be attractive to everyone. A 20nm sail home certainly more doable for a weekend and Waiheke easy for the other crew to come over for any events.

Finish at Kawau. Tim C and the guys at Sandspit Yacht Club maybe able to do the finish. Not Tim he will be racing)

Suggest if this is a long term race idea then building numbers and momentum is the key.

Course (75 miles-slower boats)

North head

Navy Buoy Cow

Motuora

Martello Transit to Power cable Marker to finish

Course (approx100 miles-faster boats)

North head

Navy Buoy Cow

Motuora

Flat rock

Motuora

Martello Transit to Power cable Marker to finish

Prefer racetrack to PHRF

Sail home is now a cruise and if SW much closer than Barrier for most

Finishing somewhere that there is an easy ferry to so family and crew can come across after the finish might help to liven the after party up a bit and allow people to spend the sail home the next day with family/mates

If I've just raced 100 miles solo, I imagine I will want to do nothing but collapse into a bunk or bed and slep for next 12 hours...

But if people are keen to have an away game, finishing waiheke somewhere sounds reasonable to meander home from the next day.

Like Clipper, I think after a good long race, I would not be interested in meandering home from Fitzroy on Sunday, specially with a stiff SW.

Here's a baby step.

Northern leading

Waiheke to port

Ruths Passage

Cow & Calf

Gannet

Oneroa

That's the smallboat/cruising course. 50nm

Here's the big boat one

After Cow & Calf

Motuora to Port

Rakino Channel

Oneroa

90nm

Perfect!!

And fun, sailing down to and thru the Waiheke channel at night, nothing dramatic, and plenty of points to navigate by.

Remember doing that years back in the WYS hundred milers and loved it!!!

Count me in!!

Archived