LARGE Solo race in the offing, comments please

SSANZ will run it if that's what's wanted

The course will be what you want

When you want it

The category will depend on the above

Eg, if you want longer distances then it's safer further from land so a higher category

But we need more input as I make it only possibly 10~ boats keen so tell us want you really like as the more commitment we can get now the easier it will be to provide it

I have no intention of doing this race but only because I've turned into a softie who would fall asleep at night time regardless of what is happening. But I reckon what you're talking about is terrific!

SSANZ involvement is a no brainer and it's great to see them jumping at the opportunity. Does SSANZ have an email list they can send a questionnaire to in order to accurately gauge a likely turnout? Or do most SSANZers lurk here already? Just wondering.

You go for it guys! :thumbup:

As a slight aside but on sort of the same topic. I see in the poll there is a few interested in the 60nm range.

The WBS Short handed Series. All are good length races i.e Arkles bay around Rangi and back, Arkles, Navy Tiri, Haystack and back sort of a thing. I've been leaving Bayswater and going up for them (18nm odd) and home after (another 18 odd) so are nudging 50-60nm for the day.

If there is enough interest from the ditch dwelling (Akl harbour) fleet in doing that series, and there is growing interest and boats actually going up, should I have a suss, which would include chatting to the WBC race committee, to see if we could make it a race up there, do the WBC race and then a race home? It would be 3 races in the day tied together but they would total the 50-60nms some seem to be interested in. A game of 3 halves one might say (as his maths teacher turns over in his grave)

Back to the thread in hand. I'm in as long as it's knot programmed when I have no keel.

Ruthe Passage might be dodgy late at night,
But a lot of fun.

The WBS Short handed Series. All are good length races i.e Arkles bay around Rangi and back, Arkles, Navy Tiri, Haystack and back sort of a thing. I've been leaving Bayswater and going up for them (18nm odd) and home after (another 18 odd) so are nudging 50-60nm for the day.

yeah but a extra hour at the start of the day so you can hear the start gun. :lol: :lol:

ok, i have been quiet for a while.....

love the idea of round raoul island...... 300nm out and then return so 600 total ..... have a few sleeps single handed... no hard bits to hit along the way...

people could use it as a interim step to doing the mooloolaba single.......

Oh, do I see a Raoul Island fleet developing? ;)

I think I'm getting a bit moist........

So back to the race in hand 1st. Timing, who thinks what re that?

I'd like early next year so I can have my tweaking finished. Looks like my Xmas Hols will be on the boat........ on dry land :(

ok, i have been quiet for a while.....

love the idea of round raoul island...... 300nm out and then return so 600 total ..... have a few sleeps single handed... no hard bits to hit along the way...

people could use it as a interim step to doing the mooloolaba single.......

umm, try that one again...600nm out and the return so 1200 in total.

nice trip, although the first three days motor sailing to get there with a decent SE swell weren't much fun. That's the problem with a schdeule..

Sometime in Feb, 'normal' weekend, Friday 4pm start, small and big boat course finishing either Kawau, Waiheke or similar Saturday for a BBQ, beers. Cruise home Sunday.

If its a long weekend then finish should be Fitzroy Sat arvo for a cruise home Sun / Mon.

My 2c worth.

I'll chime in on this, I think it is a great idea. I'd lean more towards a longer course rather than a short one and booze up then a killer slog home... definitely wouldn't want to have to get back from barrier after a big night and a hard day.

I like the all islands course with the big caveat that I don't think the bottom end would be a good place to be single handed at the wrong end of 24 hrs at the helm. Also, I think in the trade off between daylight second half and being a bit tired from work on Friday, much better to have the daylight hours to help with staying awake, so would go for a Friday night start. Ideally, the course would have the fleet in the middle of the gulf from 0300 till 0600 (when nav will not be 100% accurate), which may mean rounding kawau isn't ideal given it can get a bit narrow around there too.

I think there are already a reasonable amount of ~40NM races (Gold cup etc) that could be done single handed if people wanted, at the end of the day though, please the masses. By having a race (or series) like this, mini fleets and the like are far more likely to get going.

In all likelihood I wont be in the country when this is happening, so treat the above as just an opinion, not a vote. Sounds great though.

Archived