This Weekend's Achievements

Hi Smithy,

We draw 1m with both CB's up, 2m with the main board down, if only using the aft one draw 1.75m. usually unless on the wind or needing extra bite (when manouvering) we often don't use the main board, off the wind I use the aft one for trimming, or when flat off with a reasonable wind I keep it right down, Gwalarn then more or less tracks like a surf board, unfortunately being  a displacement hull it doesn't get the speed of the SB. The channel into Whangape is on the STB side, we had no trouble picking where the shallow spots were. Definitely recommend a 1 to 1.5m drouge for control when you anchor inside in the river. Our one of 2,5m dia worked, but was really too big and was difficult to manage. still bloody glad I had it!

Thanks Steve. It would want to be flat calm to squeeze the Marshall in there. There's a lot to be said for centreboards!! I'm not a great fan of bars, but if you can manage them it certainly opens up a lot of NZ harbours!! Good on you having a go!

There are some holes in the river that could accomodate 2m draft and the depth in "fiord" is definitely deep enough, though you would be limited as to how far inland you could go. With Gwalarn the keel base is 700mm wide so as long as the ground is firm she will sit quite happily on her bum without legs etc., (though if I had them they would guarantee security) and if she does decide to lie down, with only 1m draft she doesn't have far to go compared to a 2m fin keeler.

If you go to "www.trismus.populus.org" you will find all sorts of info. Unfortunately it is all in French. there were between 350 and 400 of them built most of them out of polyester or strip plank etc. around 36 were built professionally in alloy in france + a few in Canada. Ours is one of the 36, she has been to the arctic, Hawai, Cape Horn, and Alaska before she ended up in NZ.

• Upvote 1

We rode our mountain bikes along the beach up to Whangape from Mitimiti some time ago. Looking down on that bar from up above there is no way I would attempt it in anything drawing over say 1.5m.

By comparison the Kaipara bar is a doddle as long as the swell is less than 2m of course.

Good one to chalk up Steve.

Did you do the Fiordland trip ?

Sailed this beautiful creature from Auckland to her new home in the BOI. Very VERY happy bunny. Thanks so much to all of you who offered advice and suggestions over the course of my painfully long and frequently frustrating search for a new boat. With your help, I'm pretty sure I nailed it. :D

IMG_1096.jpg

Gotta love a Mull!.

Some weekend, man , come to work for a rest.

neat seeing the One ton boats start and then I spent 2 days watching the classics either do nothing or finally on sunday get some wind for a race, terrific spectacle.   A bit of a wander around the volvo boats on sunday too, its all going off.

been buying a few more 'wants' from trademe

1 - an old large 10' colour GPS plotter....didn't realise how big these things were!, may just fit in the now empty stbd side cockpit bulkhead but for now have it tied up on top.

came with no sounder transducer or gps ant.

don't need the sounder as the old nasa target sounder is fine.....and am getting the gps position via nmea from the non-plotting garmin 128 already fitted

ray.jpg

2 - also an old 1998? navico autopilot......apparently only ever had occasional light use to drive an aries wind vane on days when the wind was too light for the vane to work properly

nav1.jpg

has been a revelation soloing on the storfidra!

no more pinning the rudder, while motoring into wind, for the panic dash to the bow to drop or raise the jib, then back to the rudder to correct course drift, then dash to the mast to drop or raise the main, then rush back back before the bow gets across the wind

also before the autopilot, upwind and reaching were able to balance the sails nicely before pinning the rudder so she would self steer

but couldn't find a setting for downwind

but the autopilot holds course best downwind, light wind, allowing me to read a book

So far this weekend I have...

Bought a house.

Been on a fullers harbour cruise.

Seen Sundreamer sailing up the harbour with full working canvas - She looks good! 

At the end of the same cruise, steamed past the back of the now moored dream machine, so got to see her up close-ish, too.

That's a lot for a Saturday I reckon! And since I have never seen said rocketship before, it was pretty cool!!