This Weekend's Achievements

Spent 4h dicking around trying to find leaks and stop leaks and then get an actual vacuum to hold while attempting to DIY a vacuum bagging setup.

Got frustrated.

Went online.

Spent money...

zzb100561_kl.jpgzzb100837_kl.jpg98.0003_kl.jpg

All depends on which boat you're being invited to raft up to ;)

I got restless so the heavily retrenched fleet has swapped back to expansion mode.   

Did you buy, or otherwise acquire a boat KM?

Is this a sign the garden ornament has found a new life, as a garden ornament?

This is less of an achievement and more of a warning and reminder to all of us who like to mess about with our boats n fix stuff ourselves. 

Epoxy hardener in your eye hurts like a mofo and can occur despite the use of safety glasses. 

If you do find yourself thrashing around your workshop like a deranged idiot at an all night rave, the best bet is to use water, and copious quantities of it, if you can't find water use beer, or anything that's non-corrosive. Epoxy harder is an amine with a high pH. Alkali burns are the predominant cause of chemical eye injury in men. Wash that stuff out for 10 min. Seriously, 10 min. Your eye will clamp shut like a republican's wallet on tax day, so you'll need to pry that thing open to wash it. Then go see a doctor, a decent one not one like the idiot I stumbled into first, preferably go to the ER at a hospital, and go fast. Get someone to take you 'cause your other eye will also be useless - you'll have to keep it closed to avoid using it because moving one eye moves the other. The  hospital should check the pH of your eye and likely flush it some more, then pump you full of pain killers and give you steroid and antibiotic drops with daily checkups. The risk of permanent corneal damage is high - and can occur in as little as 15s if you have a strong alkali.

10 days later I can see through it but the image is blurry.

Did I mention it hurts?  Photo is 3 days post event...

gallery_123_80_84552.jpg

• Upvote 1

ohhhh no! I thought it was rough when I had to take my mom to the emergency optometrist for supergluing her eye shut (turns out superglue can come in little bottles that are identical to eye drops). That was solved by a lot of vaseline.

I hope you recover fully!

And yes... how?!

Current achievements: 3 coats of primer and a sanded hull that's now back bobbing around in seawater. I hauled out yesterday and was just about to open the tin of antifoul when the storm that had been threatening Auckland made good on its threats and shat all over Merc, me, and my best-laid plans. the fellow who booked the floating dock this morning was unable to shift his booking later, so I had to re-launch at my scheduled time and re-book the dock for the afternoon. I have a feeling I'm about to spend more on this than it would have cost to pay someone to do it. I'd like to go back to sailing other people's boats now please, hahaha.

Ouch.

How??

The bridge of my nose is so damn broad that most, if not all, safety glasses don't fit down on my face properly - offering vast protection to my eyebrows but unfortunately leaving a small gap between the cheekbone/lower eye socket and the bottom rim off the glasses.

In this instance I was running late, mixing a small batch in a pottle (paper mixing cup), I'd just added the hardener, which is lower density and more liquid than the resin and pools on top, and as I began to paddle around with the stirring stick I managed to splash a little out - right through the aforementioned gap. Chance in a million.

Nonetheless, risk is not only a product of probability, but also of consequence. R=P*C

If the consequence is catastrophe, then the risk value is higher.

ohhhh no! I thought it was rough when I had to take my mom to the emergency optometrist for supergluing her eye shut (turns out superglue can come in little bottles that are identical to eye drops). That was solved by a lot of vaseline.

I hope you recover fully!

And yes... how?!

The ER ophthalmologist also related to us a similar story! 

Wow, badluck!

You tend to get casual dealing with corrosive hardener after many mix cycles.

I learned early to turn the bucket away from my face and go slow and methodical while stirring as when still a teenager flicked some MEKP into a mates eye several meters away. 

Instantly grabbed a pint of milk nearby and upended it on his eye. Did the trick.

Got to watch those almost invisible bubbles that float off the mix and hover around too.

Good case for PPE. Not that I'm that overboard on that.

All the best for a full recovery. Cheers

Yep casual/complacent. It slips in as you get comfortable working with these things. Good idea to actually read the MSDS for the more nasty things you have lying around - just in case.

PPE helps to reduce (not eliminate) risk but doesn't necessarily make things safe. A little bit of reading studies around in the medical journals one can conclude that serious chemical eye injuries in industry occur regardless of whether the patient was wearing safety glasses or not, there is no significant difference. I guess if you catch a bucket full of caustic soda solution in your face your glasses are going to do nothing. Like a lifejacket while solo sailing in the southern ocean.

Probably the Meltemi winds this time of the year. We sometimes waited days for windows, to move. You passed Poros but it is worth a visit if you are returning the same way. "SailingIssues.com" looks like a good reference site for cruising this area. Would love to be back in Greece.

Unfortunately we did not have time to wait it out. The boat was due back on Saturday morning and the meltimi was to be already very strong on Friday. Cyclades was forecast +35 on Friday, and Saraonic bay 12-16. So we left the cyclades (Kythnos east) on Thursday and headed west past hydra to dokos, little bit of motoring across the dead zone picked up a nice southerly to give us a genny run into dokos.

Perfect cruising. Wind clocked round to just shy of N in the morning, still gentle. Headed out of dokos about 10am in flat water but with alternate gusts up to 20 then back to 5. Bit tricky. Cleared the point and picked up a steady 16 from 340T letting us charge across on a good reach at about 9-10 knots, 060T. About a third of the way over it rose up +2 Beaufort above predictions clocked to 020T and the sea turned washing machine. The fun began. The pogo stops almost dead punching into the short steep seas unless you keep it powered up - which makes it pretty uncomfortable for the younger crew members and those less experienced (read nil). So we changed down, headed up and slowed up to make it more comfortable, with a little motor sailing sometimes steering up to 20T in the puffs.

Other observations from a week on a Pogo36:

I couldn’t get any speed up if trying to point in less than 12-13knts wind in sloppy seas. couldn’t really move when above 60degrees true. Probably a combination of me still learning the boat and generating power and momentum. So might as well get out the code zero and keep the power up.

The Thing points high (35-40) and fast in flat seas even with two reefs and the staysail in just 14 knt.

200L of water disappears very quickly when 4 adults and a teenage girl are aboard. Anyone got some watermaker recommendations?

When it’s 35 degrees outside, inside it’s almost intollerable. If you motor at all in that heat the technical/motor room gets hot and keeps the two aft cabins uncomfortable we’ll onto the night.

Those short steep sea just about stop anything, foot pump for the water, solar shower, lux liquid followed by a swim instead of a shower. 2nd Island times suggestion of allowing the crew to cart the water, even if there is a hose. Many years ago my then to be wife worked on a 70' Hatteras out of Zea marina and had 3 greek lovelies use 2 tons of water in a day and a half, swim, shower, swim, shower etc. They objected strongly at being asked to be a little bit more frugal.

Yea I did mention to the young lass that perhaps she could rinse off only after her last swim of the day and not every ten minutes between dives, lol. Boat only has 200L tankage though.

Also, Cyclades during late July is a dumb idea primarily because it’s damn hot. We’d originally planned for October and booked, but the owner later decided he’d like to do the middle sea race. So late July it was...

A couple of weekends work:

Sold my 830 Shapeshifter and helped pack her up for a trip to Nelson, drove up to Whangarei and bought a replacement 930, sailed her back to Whangaparaoa, did a race, and started scraping/heating/grinding and sanding the horrible textured feature coating off the saloon ceiling/sides/under decks surfaces. Oh and I need to get it all finished by this weekends SSANZ race ????

81769683-09CD-4386-922C-8176E18E04E4.jpeg

64412037-5584-4D97-B352-1663BC957310.jpeg

C00D6180-A102-48EB-AFF1-1DB2CA452C65.jpeg

39C845E1-4822-4B50-8824-9F1CF697FD1C.jpeg

CFCB0CD6-B39B-4695-B598-AF674F16CFC7.png

You have no idea how happy that makes me that you are ripping that ceiling out. We nearly bought Mean Streak but found SMU instead. Partly beacuse we preferred some of the things on SMU but mostly because we didn't have the time to do exactly what you are doing! Love to see how she looks when you finish it. See out out there on Saturday.