This Weekend's Achievements

This weekend was spent bogging and grinding (and cursing!).

The bob stay was slowly falling off and that held the rig up, so needed fixing. Once off the reason for the issues became clear- no filler or reinforcement. The bolts were simply through bolted into duracore which offcourse was now the consistency of soup.

Pretty lucky we did this actually. So traced the wet stuff back and luckily it was constrained by glue lines. Still big hole in my boat;

A37A0B84-9D25-45BB-8835-4F9AA1EEAB28.jpeg

So replaced with high density foam and hi density filler, laminated with biaxial cloth and faired. Vinyl patch and new fitting goes on tomorrow.

While out I antifouled and started to fit my new Selene prod so one the rig is properly secured we can load her up.

Wow tazzy lucky you caught that before it tore right out. An item like that bolted through foam is a disaster waiting to happen.

We have been ver busy on the Motorboat II(ex squealer) Elliott 10.5. Replaced some large sections of deck where there was some soft spots, rewired the entire boat, all new lights, all new instruments, new autopilot, new stereo(quite large...), sorted safety gear for cat 2 plus so many smaller jobs.

And 2 weeks ago I completed the trip from France to NZ with the family, sold the 50fter and brought the Elliott.

Been a big few weeks, or years actually.

received_183953015832627.jpeg

20181102_235705.jpg

• Upvote 1

That theme sounds familiar. Congrats on your self discipline.

Looks great.

A 3 month "quick and dirty"  morphed into  10yrs leaving no stone unturned.

Nights, weekends, the odd week off.

Did one 22hr shift on the deck. The boys fronted bigtime.

Still puzzled.

Salt in them tha veins?

Thanks Lats, looks good from a distance...up close? Well, the paint is ON! Rain catcher getting a good workout right now in Pekapeka Bay, Whangaroa and ran the still saturday so now have 7lts of premium export quality Crazyhorse HOOCH...life in the wind and rain (with fresh snapper) isn't too bad!

1543776676896883790776.jpg

Got around cape Jackson. What a bitch. Lots of wind, huge currents, whirlpools and long ugly reef with the lighthouse on the wrong end. Angela tends to watch the wind speed indicator and gives me dirty looks if it's over 30kn. This was steady 30-35 but I didn't have the nerve to tell her that was,apparent and we were going downwind at 12.

That's the gap, between the lighthouse and the headland, with two rocks in the middle, that the Russian cruise ship Mikhail Lermontov went through, was holed, then sank on the beach around the corner. Did you go inside or outside the light?

Best when tide and wind is with you, can be a bit swift!

Welcome to my homeland!

We just done our firs night on Topaz. Wasn't a pleasent night in Pigeon Bay on Saturday with the 30-35 knts N-NW wind after midnight, but I finally I tested the new anchor, the re-positioned anchor winch, the newly added remote for it in the real world. Everything passed (including myself). Nice sailing back to Lyttelton on Sunday (as nice the NW could be to sail up on the coast). 

Topaz in a NW.jpg