This Weekend's Achievements

2 hours ago, 44forty said:

First step of the new rudder done .... aircraft wing style of construction .

carbon foam sandwhich panel laid up in the garage then sent to the CNC dude .

next step is to wrap it in some funky sh*t then tip in some 2 part expanding foam .

The foam will be sanded back to the ribs and then then it will get skinned carbon .

design and construction is being done by my mate Scott who is handy with a computer and carbon . Check his Ross 490 rebuild here on creworg and in boating Nz

The rudder will be hanging off a second generation E780 that we are bringing into this century ....next project will be a prod ...possibly a hybrid fixed job with a retractable prod inside it that stays outboard so cabin doesn’t have a bit of carbon right through it 

CA9EE9DA-21DD-4782-9919-4BF4396CECCF.jpeg

How does the top work? How much balance forward?

10 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

How does the top work? How much balance forward?

The top is where it gets interesting . It’s going to have an 18ft skiff style box where it slots in from aft rather than a drop-in style box . Rudder will have a socket on top to plug a carbon tube tiller into , we have that system on the Shaw and love it . The idea is to be able to take rudder and tiller off at anchor or at the dock to free up cockpit space and prevent any expensive accidents after a few beersies .

I couldn’t tell you the percentage of balance forward ...the pic shows the current rudder in blue , the Shaw 750 rudder in yellow and the new rudder in red which is way more forward balanced than the old Rutter . Weight wise there should be a massive difference the current rudder would be at least 15+ kgs and the box is about the same so it’s like having an extra outboard on the transom ! 

69823E99-CB2B-4E13-8C39-FBC67DFAE6B6.jpeg

10 hours ago, Deep Purple said:

Set up new code zero. Not quite on its marks in this photo. At full hoist it's 300mm further inboard but looking great. Should plug the light wind tight reaching gap we have. Thanks Willis Sails. 

73DABEAF-19DD-4016-A2B6-6FB318B87B6E.jpeg

41429E7C-0700-4C3F-89D2-C36B7CFD0BE5.jpeg

3AB55681-B360-438F-A3F6-F3806E157CB3.jpeg

3A646BDA-06D1-44AF-80A2-F0B9FAD56617.jpeg

Looks like a beast , see how you go with it , we have tweakers for ours cause it really twists off as soon as you crack the sheets a bit . You should be able to match the wind speed up to about 6-7 knots and then start ripping stuff off the deck above that ! 

• Haha 1
On 25/04/2021 at 8:22 AM, 44forty said:

The top is where it gets interesting . It’s going to have an 18ft skiff style box where it slots in from aft rather than a drop-in style box . Rudder will have a socket on top to plug a carbon tube tiller into , we have that system on the Shaw and love it . The idea is to be able to take rudder and tiller off at anchor or at the dock to free up cockpit space and prevent any expensive accidents after a few beersies .

I couldn’t tell you the percentage of balance forward ...the pic shows the current rudder in blue , the Shaw 750 rudder in yellow and the new rudder in red which is way more forward balanced than the old Rutter . Weight wise there should be a massive difference the current rudder would be at least 15+ kgs and the box is about the same so it’s like having an extra outboard on the transom ! 

69823E99-CB2B-4E13-8C39-FBC67DFAE6B6.jpeg

Our rudder. No balance at all, neutral helm all the time. Never lets go. It's a work of art.

D016DFF4-1E1A-4826-9C62-ACCF1A5F0758.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

Our rudder. No balance at all, neutral helm all the time. Never lets go. It's a work of art.

D016DFF4-1E1A-4826-9C62-ACCF1A5F0758.jpeg

That looks more like a carving knife than a rudder. You could get it out at Christmas to carve the ham...

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Kick Ass said:

Looking good Nigel, no extra pairs of hands today?

Nah for some reason yesterday's keen helpers were otherwise occupied today!

I've named the area around the sail drive 'Brendan's Rectangle '

Kind of like the Bermuda triangle but instead of aircraft and ships dissapearing, more yacht keeps appearing 

• Haha 1

Since last installment...

19yrs worth of antifoul finally scraped off during the week, factory non-taped keel join sorted and 10 hrs of hands above head orbital sanding with 120g disc's completed today 😅

Now to find some 1000g disc's for the D.A and have a crack at the stripes 😔

20210522_113555.jpg

20210520_182006.jpg

20210520_164853.jpg

20210519_175713.jpg

20210519_194840.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Received negative PCR test.

Drove 1240km in 12h15

Washed squab covers, pillows and duvets

Water blasted 10 months of algae off deck

Broomed rudders back to orange

Experienced 3 gales in 4 days

Didn't lift boat for wash as marina crew quite leery about lifting in that kinda weather

Got in 3.5h of sailing

Installed inverter

Installed 12v DC/DC converter to charge 80Ah LiFePO4 for dinghy

Installed gas detector (finally)

Toured Pogo factory (again)

Spent €300 on wine

Drove 1240km

Didn't scratch boat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Almost got the brand spanking new trailer finished. It's been a long road, trying to use the old parts, and failing miserably.

Just a couple more nylocks to go, then the boat gets mobile again.

Would put pics up, but didn't think about it and suddenly it was night.

Solo Delivery Waikawa - Lyttelton - Ross 30 Ballistic

Got up 3.00am Friday morning and drove to Picton from Christchurch , arriving at 8.30am, quick stop at Picton supermarket for delivery trip food.  Caught Cougar water taxi service from Picton to Resolution Bay, Queen Charlotte where boat was moored. Grabbed some tote tanks etc and dinghy. Inflated dinghy and loaded dinghy to get out to mooring. 15 metres offshore and flipped said dinghy....gurgle ... and who was the idiot who didn't close their 110 litre gear bag properly....  now a 2hp motor drowned... wet gear, wet sleeping bag and a wet, somewhat unhappy but still smiling idiot. (never ever flipped dinghy before!)

Drained dinghy, retrieved and sorted gear and reloaded dinghy to get to boat. Loaded gear on boat, warmed up boat , idiot changed clothes into the driest clothes available...fortunately idiot had put all his wet weather gear, woolly hat, gloves etc. in a separate sealed dry bag.  Motored back to Waikawa to fuel up - fueled up and put 20 litres water onboard.  Turned around and motored back down to Diffenbach and Tory channel.

Exited Tory channel at 6.00pm Friday night in a light, land affected northerly with an ebbing tide but later than the planned Tory entrance HW at 3.00pm due to the previous dinghy issue.  Slow trip across Cloudy Bay motor-sailing in a varying N-NW. Milky way was incredible...  Set up a waypoint for a comfortable separation distance from Sheperdess Reef off Cape Campbell ( 155-165S mag) which was approached around 11.00pm Here the the sea - state and wind picked up. Hand steered for a while with a conservative double reefed main only...with an ocassional surf in the irregular waves. Eventually made enough southing to be back in deeper clear water with better waves and a more stable ride. Shook out one reef to enable the boat to better accelerate when on a wave and fine tuned the response rate on the pilot where I could happily leave the boat to steer itself.

Made a Milo, had a snack and enjoyed the ride. The breeze built nicely between 20 - 25TWS broad reaching. I checked the AIS and had a good look around and headed below for a quick kip.  Inshore and South of Cape Campbell but still north of Ward. Plenty of Hectors darting about like small grey torpedoes.

A 930 broad reaching in waves in 20-25 knots going relatively slowly is not the most stable platform and any rest/sleep was fitful but the boat started to cover some good ground until about 3.30am when the breeze started to drop as forecast. Being solo on my first delivery South I wasn't keen on chasing the considerable forecast 25knot + N breeze offshore.

As dawn cast its orange glow the wind was light and we were motoring again.  Arriving off Clarence, katabatic winds teased that we might be able to stop the motor and sail but they were fleeting. As forecast from Waipapa to Kaikoura next to no breeze in a sloppy, left over Northerly wave state.

Our planned route had the boat pass passed just to seaward of the Kaikoura Peninsula where there were many long weekend fishers and cray pots to be negotiated. Made slow progress all afternoon till abeam Haumuri Bluffs where the approaching ridge was generating warm NW puffs off the shore. Up went the jib top but the breeze was unstable varying from on hard on the nose to aft of the beam.  Just out to sea I saw a whale blow but hadn't seen anything within 500metres of the boat. Still plenty of Hectors zooming about including a mum with a small calf who came and rode the bow wave for a bit. 

Off Gore Bay the breeze finally came back at 15knots from the North which was welcomed and the 25m deep water meant the swells where starting to setup with the boat speed increasing nicely.  As dusk approached, I tidied up the boat and cooked up a meal. The breeze was building.  After dinner I sat and observed how the pilot was driving and further fine tuned the settings so that the boat stayed on course with minimal steering input from the pilot.  As darkness  enveloped the boat I decided I wanted to go back to a second reef.  A quick round up off course to the west to unload the main slides, dump the mainsheet, flip the halyard, secure the tack strop at the mast, back to the cockpit, halyard up to the mark, wind in the 2# reefline and a quick tack to resume course at 191S Mag. Only 60nm to run to the second Starboard channel marker at Lyttelton.  The breeze was now at a steady 18-24knots with a building sea state.  Idiot was getting tired...

Now able to see the glow of the Christchurch lights against low cloud which seemed to take forever to get larger. The boat was constantly accelerating and decelerating between 6 and 12 knots on some of the waves. The wind was directly aft and at times by the lee. Pegasus Bay is a big shallow bay and in the forecast 25kn Northerly breeze the waves started to crest behind the boat with a roar. The boat would then accelerate with a woosh before falling off the back and the process would begin again.

AIS picked up an approaching 235m long container ship on a converging course doing 14.5 knots. I thought I could see the lights to the east but the low cloud was making everything gloomy. I watched as the AIS target quickly closed, passed and then set up for anchor in the Anchorage off Godley Head outside Lyttelton.  

Fatigue had set in as the breeze died again about 5miles from the channel marker waypoint... I was starting to have real difficulty gauging distance despite what the plotter was telling me.  I passed the outermost anchored ship close to starboard and finally I could see the 5 second green flash of the Starboard channel markers. Almost there. Really tired.

I turned to head up the main harbour channel but hadn't really been up the channel at night since the Lyttelton Port Company had completed its sizeable reclamation and installed its considerable new navigation aids. The place was lit lit up like a Xmas tree. My depth perception was now completely shot... I was starting to see things, like large barges being pushed by tugs that weren't there! 

Finally made the turn into the inner basin between the moles past the new unoccupied cruise ship berth and lowered and secured the main...made it!   Despite the fatigue I felt a great sense of satisfaction despite the timing late season. I motored around towards the visitor berth at Te Ana but it was occupied by a 40 something Lagoon. So turned around and headed out and around to the Naval Point Floater... I needed sleep. 

I berthed alongside the floater, made sure everything was secure and collapsed into my bunk under my wet sleeping bag. Four hours later I was up and organising for my wife to come collect some gear and then meet me at Purau Bay, near Diamond Harbour where the boat was going to be moored on a mate's mooring. 

Got the boat on the mooring and launched the dinghy and rowed ashore. Got home and sorted all the wet gear out, pulled the 2hp motor to bits... had a shower and crashed into bed Saturday afternoon at 2.00pm.  Checked in with my mooring owner mate after 6.00pm that night who said he was travelling to Picton next day (Monday for work).

Sunday Justin turned up at 1.00pm and we drove to Picton arriving at my car at 6.00ish. Fueled car and left Picton for Christchurch at 6.35pm and was home at 10.45pm. It was a big weekend.

Footnote - I spent weeks watching the weather waiting for a decent weather window to do this delivery where I wouldn't be thumped by a Southerly in the final stages crossing Pegasus Bay.  The weather forecast was 20knot Northerly in Cook Strait with a 25-30knot Northerly pulse in the Campbell area/Southern Castlepoint area before settling into a 25knot northerly offshore in Conway building to a 25-30knot Northerly gusting 35knots in Pegasus on Saturday afternoon evening. My inshore route meant I missed most of the breeze offshore but did see 25knots TWs for sustained period.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 8
18 minutes ago, splat said:

182NM down the rhumb line I think

Hi Splat, I am very curious to know, how did you flip the dinghy?

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but I've never experienced it, and would like not to if I can understand the causes.