This Weekend's Achievements

A tumultuous weekend at 830 HQ, whilst trying to get the spreaders fitted to the correct angle we discovered that some silly sausage had put the mast step on 140mm too far forward 20 years ago, and with the benefit of blissful ignorance this muppet had gone ahead and painted the boat. If we had of used it we would have ended up with a spreader angle of 34 degrees!

Once the inevitable was accepted it was out with the sabre saw and off with it's head. Some unwilling grinding and sanding later..... a new hardwood pad was fashioned and temporarily screwed in place so we could test step the mast. For the first time in 20+ years we had what appeared to be a yacht. Quite a milestone.

Of course the shrouds were now too short thanks to the relocated chainplates but a temporary solution has been found so back down it came and the step was glued, coved, glassed, faired , primed and painted (although a bit more roughly than the first time).

All we have to do is wiring, plumbing, lifelines, anchor fairlead, fit the new headsail tracks, vang, main, traveller purchases, backstay system and anout a dozen other things and we will be ready to launch xmas eve apparently.

Insert Tui billboard here

20151220_123646_resized.jpg

20151220_181210_resized.jpg

20151220_162932_resized.jpg

• Upvote 2

After a major inspection last night, I can certainly that the urban reptilian beasty is indeed looking very sexy. I did bring up one small concern. All the hatches, being of carbon fibre are extremely light weight. I expect one good belch from KM and the hatches are likely to all lift off the boat. They are going to need landyards.

After resigning myself to the fact that the boat won't be in for a wee while yet on account of me mate busting his ankle with one coat to go, I'm having another tidy up of the aft deck "planks".

Doing it at me same mate's factory - what a difference a proper shop with proper tools, clear space, flat floor, good lighting, proper mechanical ventilation and just generally better all round working conditions, makes!

Almost didn't want to come home to the screaming kids and annoying dogs this morning!

Not a weekend, but I just achieved my first Sydney to Hobart a few days ago.

Well done , which slow boat where you on.......all the boats where slow there year.......my son had to change his flights back to Nz a bit like I did in 81. My plane took off as we where rounding Tasman Island.

Just finished "re-purposing" the composites workshop back to it's original man-cave condition (yes there is a difference - one is where you wanna be while the other is where you tell the wa where you need to go). If you look past the laminating table (thanks again John B ) and sheet product box I really don't think you'd know - she has a different opinion! (if you look the other way I can kinda see her point - no need for pics though!)

Footnote - strategically positioned bottles of proper beer for KM's benefit!

DSC_1206.JPG

Well done , which slow boat where you on.......all the boats where slow there year.......my son had to change his flights back to Nz a bit like I did in 81. My plane took off as we where rounding Tasman Island.

Midnight Rambler, ker 40 from Sydney.