This Weekend's Achievements

8 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I put it to full throttle which Angela says is 250c. Plus I wait till it is up to temp before putting in the bread.

nice, I can barely get 200... more like 180. Must be bad gas...

1/2 cup tap water, 1/2 cup boiling water.  Some salt and a tablespoon of brown sugar. Stir then add 1 tablespoon yeast. Wait till it has a serious head on it like someone doesn't know how to pour a beer.

In bowl put 2 cups hi grade flour ( I go up to 50/50 white to wholemeal. ). Pour in the yeasty liquid and mix to a dough.

Put flour on the bench and knead for 2 songs. Add flour if necessary, dough should not be sticky. Roll into  a ball and roll in a bit of oil till covered. Put somewhere warm. In cold weather I run the watermaker and sit it on the engine box. Should be covered with a teatowel.

After 2 hrs it should have doubled in size. Back to the floured bench and one more song of kneading.  Stick in a pan that was buttered and floured. Back on top of the engine till it doubles in size again.

Melt a gob of butter in a splash of milk and use to glaze the top.

Get the oven as hot as you can. Put some water in a dish in the bottom and put in the bread. About 30 mins.

54 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

1/2 cup tap water, 1/2 cup boiling water.  Some salt and a tablespoon of brown sugar. Stir then add 1 tablespoon yeast. Wait till it has a serious head on it like someone doesn't know how to pour a beer.

In bowl put 2 cups hi grade flour ( I go up to 50/50 white to wholemeal. ). Pour in the yeasty liquid and mix to a dough.

Put flour on the bench and knead for 2 songs. Add flour if necessary, dough should not be sticky. Roll into  a ball and roll in a bit of oil till covered. Put somewhere warm. In cold weather I run the watermaker and sit it on the engine box. Should be covered with a teatowel.

After 2 hrs it should have doubled in size. Back to the floured bench and one more song of kneading.  Stick in a pan that was buttered and floured. Back on top of the engine till it doubles in size again.

Melt a gob of butter in a splash of milk and use to glaze the top.

Get the oven as hot as you can. Put some water in a dish in the bottom and put in the bread. About 30 mins.

Cool - thanks for that. Will give it a go 👍

11 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Now it's Muzled turn for sourdough. 

Yes, so....  I've watched about umpteen dozen videos and read double the amount of articles of tips, tricks and pointers.

But I follow Irish guy below after having tried a few other methods and come out with a lesser result.  A lot of other recipies don't knead the dough, they strech and leave over multiple hours, I haven't done that but it supposedly works better.  For me I find kneading fits my daily routine better.

I use Rye and wholemeal flour for the starter and a dutch oven to cook it in as didn't have a pyrex dish. 

My dough mix is 90% white and 10% Rye or WM.  Get the oven as hot as it'll go, mine takes 35mins to hit 250 and I do the first lid on cooking for 25mins rather than his 12 or so.  

If you watch other vids they'll use way less starter and more water. 

I think it's probably a bit like anchoring, if you asked 5 different people, you'd get 11 different opinions.  

I've only been doing it since last years lockdown so am still experimenting changing one thing at a time and find one day I'll get an awesome loaf, repeat exactly what I did the next day and it comes out not quite as good. 🥴

6 minutes ago, funlovincriminal said:

Also built a covid testing centre at home and painted a mast in it.

35 years old and she still scrubs up ok 😉

20211002_144010.jpg

20211002_180529.jpg

20211002_190312.jpg

20211005_170320.jpg

20211005_180355.jpg

20211005_180622.jpg

Nice work. Looks mint. Out of curiosity

What's the middle coating? 

why did you decide to paint Alluminium?

How did you transport it?

I have a similar project coming up...