Team Wheels Thrid leg.

wheels

Love the shot with Bean Rock Lighthouse and the William C Daldy in the background with the crew flag flying. :thumbup:

Only thing missing is a large glass of the sponsor's product!

Well done guys :clap:

Oh well, what do I say. Apart from geeez guy's, I don't think I have ever been made to feel so welcome anywhere as you guys have today. So awesome and it realy means soooo much. AC thankyou thankyou thankyou for the pics. I am so glad you got the Crew Flag in the shot for Squid.

We got in the door at 5.30pm. KM txt us as we came under the bridge and said I would be looking forward to some zzzz's. I said "actually I feel really awake" But boy oh boy am I tired now. Early to bed tonight.

We got to see some whales and I think I got some good pics. I will post them at some time.

What a mission. Good work :thumbup:

The good thing is you can now cruise the gulf knowing what your boat can Handle and you can feel safe and relaxed knowing that you have been thru much worse.

Enjoy the summer, it's going to be a good one :D

Congratulations Guys on a brilliant voyage...thats a pretty yacht you have there Wheels, you gonna have a fantastic summer cruising the Gulf and beyond.

Hats off to you!!

Poor boat is looking a little shabby actually. I can't wait to start getting some maintenance carried out on her and get her looking better.

She matches one of the owners. He was looking a tad second hand today ;)

But he was a happy puppy, which is good to see. No more pining for his baby.

And as Wheels has promised to do, knot that he knows that bit yet, I'm sure he'll give us a run down on the Sounds Verse the Gulf. I was quite surprised when I said parking at Hobby means your around an hour to Nth Head and into the Gulf he said it was 3 hours, I think, for them to get out into more open water when down the Sounds. Also some very interesting chats about depths, he thinks 5-6mts is shallow :)

Give the team a quick run down Wheels. I think many would be very interested to hear the differences, I sure was and often a tad surprised at the same time.

The treo will love the Gulf, assuming they can get over the shallow water, all the extra boats and the kamikaze attacks by big fizz nasties :) :)

and the kamikaze attacks by big fizz nasties

Yeah, you gotta stop doing that KM ..... you've got some boat owners so scared they won't even leave the marina anymore ;)

Hey Wheels

Well done, sounds like you had an exciting trip to say the least.

Where in Hobby are you keeping her? My family has our yacht up at Herald Island, and despite the slightly longer trip to get out to the islands its a safe and nice spot.

Enjoy the summer, i bet even the tempereture difference will make it a different experience for you.

Regards

Yeah well when I see 30ft on the chart, I start to think geeez that's shallow. Will I bump the bottom soon???? :shock: If I was in 5ft in ther sounds, the bow would already be halfway up the beach. There is one place in the sounds where I can get close enough to jump(well OK, maybe when I was younger)from boat to Rocks and the sounder is still reading 200ft.

From Havelock Marina to the end of the sound is ruffly 35Nm. The first 7Nm is the main channel to the Marina, so that is an hr for us of a very narrow and extremely shallow waterway. Much like the channel into Westpark, but for 7Nm. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that we had so much room and depth up the channel to Hobbsy and we even motorsailed much of the way. Very strong tide thought. That made it easy to sidle upto the mooring bouy. So in the future for us, to be actually sailing within an hr is going to be a real buzz. And seeing as open water was once 4hrs for us, 4hrs in the gulf is going to put us out toward the barrier and other such areas. Or much closer in if we want to just pop out for a lovely summer evening sail to a bay around one of the closer islands. Because of the depth in the Pelourus sound, it was often a race to a mooring and you may have 5 other boats on the same block with you. We knew many and so that was quite fun. But with anchoring going to be som much easier here, we will see two things happen I think. One will be no rush to get somewhere, because we can anchor, but the other will be that you don't actually get to met others so much because you are not rafting up. So I want to make sure yuou all have an invitation right now. I will one flying the crew flag as a "Welcome over and met us". I love meeting people, but am quite shy and unsure about going and meeting others. So please pop over, or invite us youyr way and we can share a cold one together. We came to realise that for us, it was all about people out there. We loved to meet others, see their boat and hear their stories. And man have we heard some stories over the years.

Oh yeah, the water is much warmer up here. Although the water off Bay of Plenty was 14.4degC, and only 12.6degC in the Gulf. I was expecting better, so perhaps we need a little volcanic action or something to warm it up huh?

Oh yeah, Grinna had txt me as we were out in deep water off Bay of Plenty. He said, "hope you have a lure out". My reply was, "Ummmm, we are in over 3000ft of water, and it is pitch black out there. I am not sure I want to catch what could be lurking, because it might be a case of who has caught who" :wink:

That's the sort of time you're likely to catch a tuna .... right when you least expect it. Freshly caught tuna ...YUM!!!! There's also a fair smattering of kingies lurking in the BOP and they're a pretty tasty critter too. You guys probably had your hands and your heads full as it was though, so a fish on at the same time might have been a bit too exciting, but dragging a lure around the gulf often results in a kahawai or two or the odd kingie. Ya never know your luck.

Actually, now that you've mentioned it, how does one go about getting hold of a crew.org.nz flag??

That's the second request in a week, I'll get on to ordering some.

G'od-on-yer, 'Grinna' - 'Squiddley' that shold be 3 - what with me. Ooops, maybe burgees are out of bounds for OZ'ies, eh? TNX Ciao, james

Archived