Team Wheels Thrid leg.

wheels

While I was up on my roof fixing the hot water overflow stays I was thinking of you guys as I felt the gentle southerly on my face. Hope it's a good trip through the night. You guys rock! :thumbup:

We are now 1hr from Tologa Bay. Very light wind from behind that is usless to try and use. We have a 2m swell that is now more stern on whiuch is better than before when it was side on. Weather report said 4m and the odd 4m does roll through. But big lazy rolling things. Must be a good'in out to sea somewhere.

I was hoping to be away early so we could round the cape in daylight. Not happenign now. But the good thing is that we might be able to time it for slack water. Just depends on the trip ahead with tide and whgat ahve you as to when we actually arrive at the cape. We will have to moon for a while tonight, not much of it and not for long, but it does still help. mWith the stunnign blue sky, I am rerally looking forward to the Stars tonight.

Thanks heaps for the support. To you folks that don't know me, yeah I know this is probably all rather "what's the big hooohaar with a simple trip like this", but for me, it is a personal battle to deal with this kind of thing. And I tell ya, when Dawn and I arrive in Auckland, it is going to be something very special for us, more than just sailing a boat up. And all I can say is, If I can do it and you have a dream to do it also, then you certainly can. You just have to push through the barriers whatever they maybe. Each has their own in someway.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great stuff team wheels. Those long night hours often make reality warp, and East Island and Percy Island are not too hard to mix up. It's a beautiful fine calm morning in Wellington so hopefully the ride across the BOP is calm and pleasant.

Sounds like the weather you have faced sometimes would have been a challenge for anyone - but its pretty nice out on that water around the cape sometimes too. Sounds like it aint too bad for you barring the lack of wind... Are you heading straight for the Hauraki gulf once you round the cape or keeping the coast in sight?

Might be worth a stop over at the mercs. Scallop season is now open

I am really enjoying this thread. Boats defiantly give you the best and worst experiences and you cant help going back for more :D

Poor buggers. Shite lads of wind and big woblly bits x 2

Now no wind and still the wobbly bits.

Knot sure what's worse, probably no wind and wobbly bits.

I suppose he'll be late to work tomorrow then :)

Just sth of the Murcs, Wheels snoring and Mrs Capt in full control.

I suggested they park up fr a snore off and finish the last bit in the morning. Damn reckons Wheels has become good at getting into weird harbours in dark. I suppose they have had some practice lately :)

Oh oh, flashing lights have been spotted.

Maybe navigation ones or maybe Dawn has got more speed out of the boat and is now being chased by the constabulary :)

First it was nervous tension, now it's nervous excitment. I thought I had taken this recreagtion up for relaxation :wink:

Getting a few hrs of sleep is so important, for me at least. I know mqny can push through, but for me it can be the difference of night and day.

We rounded Est Cape with a head wind. KM was giving us good weather info, but it wasn't what we where experiencing. After we rounded, i realised the wind was being sucked around the cape and so as we rounded, it remained right on the nose. 15kts all the way around. Then we got to the point to peel off and straight line across and we must have had a big tide against us because the caspe just wouldn't let us go. Hrs and hrs of slowly clawring away from it at justy 3 to 4 kts over ground. The4n sopeed rose and we styarted making progress. We had the big southerly swells and now the new Southwesterly was creating a vdery steep 2 to 2.5m action against it. Talk abouyt uncomfortable. But the wind helps stabalise somewhat. It got worse during the daylight as the wind decreased down to 6kts and we were rolling all over thde place.

What an unbelevably long way across that bay is. I hadn't thought of no cell coverage and so was a liuttle worried about those keeping tabs on us wondering if things were OK.

We took lots of turns at tryign to get some shut eye, but not easy when being rolled around. Dawn got seasick and that doesn't help things much. You feel so helpless for your partner because you can not do anything.

Finally we saw land again and being pitch black dark, we decided it best not to navigate when not knowing the islands, rocks and being so tired. So we anchored up, got some good sleep for a few hrs, and had a good breakfast and are now on our way.

7.5kts SOG, 10kts wind, bvut expect that to die away as we get closer. Still sloppy out here, but under MoSail, she is fairly stable.

Next stop, Auckalnd. :thumbup:

In a few minutes time Team Wheels and vessel, Leisure Lady, will be entering the mighty Hauraki Gulf.

Nice to see that even if the rest of the East Coast just wanted to bash them silly at least our very own Hauraki Gulf puts on a cracker day for their firstest ever trip across it.

She's been a mission of a relocation but that chapter looks to be shut firmly later today.

I think the 3 of them will find their new cruzing grounds a pile of fun.

Archived