SIMRAD 3

Changed

I'm pretty confident the "Shorthaul Course" selected on the day will be the one that provides the greatest upwind component.

You left off 'but only if the wind is exceeding 40kts'.

Please say you did {insert Preying Hard smilie here} :lol:

Speaking of SIMRAD 3, can anyone help out some newcomers to the Hauraki Gulf by providing coordinates for Tiri Channel Navy Buoy? The interweb thingy isn't providing any answers and the last thing anyone needs is Smallboat competitors in a trailer sailer getting lost....

Looking at the charts I am assuming it is somewhere at the SW end of Tiri/Whangaparaoa passage nearish the peninsular?

Thanks

Speaking of SIMRAD 3, can anyone help out some newcomers to the Hauraki Gulf by providing coordinates for Tiri Channel Navy Buoy? The interweb thingy isn't providing any answers and the last thing anyone needs is Smallboat competitors in a trailer sailer getting lost....

Looking at the charts I am assuming it is somewhere at the SW end of Tiri/Whangaparaoa passage nearish the peninsular?

Thanks

From a previous PaulR post:

" 36.917S 174deg 50.648E Fl.Y.3s

A small yellow special mark buoy with yellow X topmark.

Often hard to see until rather close.

Just north of a rough bit of water at Tiri Channel entrance,

western side."

My chart has it at 36o36.923'S 174o50. 653'E

Sounds easy until you get there and there seems to be two of them - the Eastern one has the topmark and the light so perhaps this is it?

2 Yellow Spheres very close together, at least one is lit, possibly both. Shite loads of water to the Sth and East. Be a tad careful north of and don't venture to far West of, lots of hard lumps in there along the Whangaparoa coastline and some come up from the deep very fast.

The circle is roughly where to aim your bow.

post-646-141887186874.png

Yes both were lit after sunset for Simrad 60; nice flashing Yellows, but low powered so you might not see them until close.

An easier way is to look out for yachts doing funny things, funny manoevers, roundups and other sudden course changes.

This is because spinnakers are going UP or Down, Headsail changes and other stuff including trawling & washing; often accompanied by voices struggling to accomplish good order and a new course.

Bewarned. This next race we have a super weapon onboard which may possibly be used for "our" first time, Autohelm 2000. It worked OK on our berth :think: :oops:

FYI: Once upon a time, there were 5 black round buoys which marked the Navy's De-Gaussing strip. Navy buoy itself was more mid tiri passage, a really BIG thing made from steel tubes and with a big black cone on it, a similar size to the average car I think. At least that is what I remembered one time when it left out of the water at us. It was also mainly black but possibly a white band. Tiri light was a lot more powerful then and it would light the whole passage up, and one could see the 4 beams at 90degrees to each other slowly rotate around the sky and all the gulf. Closer in, the chart could be read without a torch!!

They down powered everything. Removed all but 2 buoys and now painted them the international yellow colour.

It was more fun looking for the black buoys on a dark and stormy night but that is progress for some, and those trying to sleep in Orewa. Airline pilots had picked up Tiri light 200 miles out. It was erected as a memorial for a guy's son who drowned and so it is IMHO a pity it is now only a shadow of it's former brillance. (I forget the names but google for details.)

Our friends at Google have said that if you click on this link it will take you magically to the mark on the interweb and the coordinates I logged against it.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207 ... 1,0.002634

Make sure you have your google maps sent to "satellite" and are zoomed right in. You want the yellow can on the right. The left one is there to deceive short sighted and inebriated sailors.

Not sure if it will show the windshifts, tidal currents and remaining rum on board when you get there but may help.

Let me know if it works

PaulR

You fitted an Autohelm 2000 as a secret weapon for the B&G Simrad Series ?

Sounds more like a liability than a weapon.... Especially when the organizers find out ! Anyone got photographic evidence of this major error ?

Don't be silly Cam, we tried it:

1). During work hours

2). Under the cloak of darkness and

3). Within the cone of silence,

4). Hidden behind with smoke and mirrors.

HAVE I LEFT ANY THING OUT.

Yes the Rain. No rain so our dry footprints may still be visible, if you look closely :thumbup:

PredictWind was showing plenty but I'm picking it'll be revised downwards. For those on short and long haul, give my regards to the wind hole off LB, be sure it let it know I miss it, just not very much.

Anyone noticed the MASSIVE storm coming over from aussie on friday night?

It covers half the tasman in 12hrs! Thats moving!

I would think its a very unstable forecast, potential for there to be plenty of breeze saturday night or bugger all if it slows down. might not know what its going to do until friday.

Yeah Metvuw has some heinous stuff coming through over the next 7 days really. Weather for saturday could be harder to pick than a broken nose.

In saying that a repeat of last year could be quite fun with that new gennaker BooBoo!

Archived