Steering in quickly moving waves/difficult winds

I had a bit of a tough morning sailing on Lyttelton Harbour today, and I am not sure why. I am hoping someone can offer some advice.

My problem was with steering. When I was on starboard tack, largely sailing into the oncoming waves, I had pretty much no steering, and occassionally the steering that I did have was working in reverse (i.e., the boat pointed left when pulling the tiller to the left). When I finally managed to tack onto port tack, with the waves coming more across the boat, things were better. I am a bit puzzled why I struggled so much on starboard tack.

I was sailing without the jib, and I know that this can affect steering, but I always sail my boat without the jib and I can usually steer it just fine. I did adjust my body position (both forward and back) in an effort to improve the steering, but it didn't work.

The sailing conditions were pretty bad. The wind was strong and constantly changing direction. The waves were large, but nothing larger than I have sailed in before. There was a strong current (well, I am basing that observation on the fast speed of the waves, I don't know what was happening below the waves).

My speculation is that when I was on starboard tack, I may have hardly been moving in relation to the water below the waves, perhaps being pushed back by the waves, even though I thought that I was moving forward at the time, and hence I had no steering. Would this make sense?

Any advice on sailing a dinghy in rougher conditions would be welcome.

Thanks.

You can't steer without flow over the rudder. Also The boat is unbalanced without a jib. Point a bit lower, and get moving, then come up. Have you got lee or windward helm - it, when moving is the load on the tiller windward, leeward, or neutral?

The windier it is, the more the rig windage effects the boat, and partially cancells the drive of the sails. Steep waves also slow/stop progress.... Same, bear away a bit, get going. point up a bit up the waves, and down a bit down the back to get momentum for the next one... :D

it's all about balance!

Thanks for the replies. I might reword my question a little.

What is happening with the water when there is a strong surface wind producing fast-travelling waves? At the time that I was sailing, I was thinking that since I was pointing largely into the oncoming waves (but not directly into the wind), that I should be able to steer (even if perhaps I was effectively not under power) since water was flowing past the boat and hence the rudder. In retrospect, I am speculating that the water below the waves (maybe a foot lower, where my rudder protrudes to) is traveling much more slowly, and I might have been stationary relative to that flow, and thus unable to steer. Does this make sense? Is this how the water behaves?

Thanks.

I am speculating that the water below the waves (maybe a foot lower, where my rudder protrudes to) is traveling much more slowly,.

The water at the surface is not moving with the wave, it is more like sound traveling though the air as apposed to wind moving the air. if that makes sense ?

wheels maybe able to explain to better.

My little boat goes well with main only in flat water but in any kind of waves it's really difficult to tack - I have to bear off, get going and throw the helm over. In a heavy breeze even though it's an extra job to do, sometimes it's better to sail with the headsail and backwind it a bit to get your bow through the waves. You just need to figure out a good system to make sure it doesn't trip you up!

Archived