Auckland Internatioal BoatShow

BvanVugt

Yes Wheels,

I also looked at the electronics and thought wtf

An auto pilot I would think 2k or 6k very hard to go passed

I think some retailers here have had a permit to print money, yes I know a lot are going to say but we have overheads yadey ya but they need to realize that they are in a global business now and maybe they should be working out of a shed and containers not a big flash high cost site

Strange thing this pricing business. I took a wee look on line to see what the Garmin AP could be had for overseas. It's the GHP12 that I need for my boat size. There is a GHP10 and a GHP12. I found a US Seller called Wakezone that had the 12 for US$1699.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garmin-G ... 4159cabe0d

They will ship worldwide and have 5 units. I would need to query them before I bought, but looking at their add, I can not understand why and how this is so cheap. I have found other retailers with prices rangine from aprox $US1800 and US$1900, yet I have also found Retailers selling the same thing for aprox US$4K, which is more like the approx NZ$6K I was told by Garmin at the show. So this wild range of pricing makes me a little hesitant.

I think the RRP from garmin is 1999USD for the core pack, I got it for 1600USD. the drive B unit is RRP 2999USD and I got it for 2300USD . $100USD for shipping and it makes it very reasonable, even with GST added by customs. The prices you have queried online are the correct ones to pay. $4k and $6k NZD for the core pack without a ram is bullshit (with ram ok and even better with the windvane but I doubt that price includes those). Given that it takes me 2 weeks to just earn the difference let alone save up the difference (months) then I'm not parting with my moolah that easy. They get the same wholesale deals as the places we buy from overseas even though it looks like they buy from the places we buy and add a commission (2x middle men) when infact its not. It should be as 'knot me' has said for some instruments, cheaper here or at least the same price. Internet shopping makes it easier for us and harder for retailers now.

I would tend to disagree with some of the comments regarding looking after the local market, I know we are big on it, and we are working hard on it at NZ Rigging, just because things look nice and shinny, it doesnt meant that they come with a huge price tag. I agree that there is a lot of product that is suited to the High end. 95% of the product we had on our stand was not out of reach of the local market.

I know we had a very good show and made a large number of sales, and also a huge number of enquires to follow up, I was personally surprised at the number of people that were still doing home builts, which is great.

We realise that the local market is a big market, and we are actively working on increasing our profile for that and making sure our doors are open to help people with there questions, queries etc

Just look at the work we are doing with the dinghy class, which are the grass roots of yachting in New Zealand and we get to try and get them stronger so the market will start to grow again in the years to come.

Bartb, I think you are outside of the norm and good on you/NZrigging.

Re the Garmin again, so who exactly were the Garmin people at the show?? That is, in regards to how the products is brought into the country. Because if they buy it from the US and then distribute it, then that is a middleman that isn't really needed. If they are the same company as the US and simply distribute it, then a different story and I expect the prices they stated would have been full Retail and a retailer may discount perhaps.

Re the world market thing, we saw a similar thing with the NZ local market when I was in Chandlery 20yrs ago. We could no longer set a normal mark up and say, that's the price. Travel and phone calls became cheap to Auckland and people would happily call or get on a plane and go buy. So we had to meet the prices offered by the big players up here. Now it has gone from a National market to an International market and has been that way for several years now. But I am not entirely sure the industry has accepted it, or understood that to be the case yet.

I think that people miss the point a little with buying online and comparing online prices to what the chandleries etc charge, when you buy online or overseas, the warranty becomes the issue of that company that sold it, ( well it should). not the local agent

Its easy to sell online cheap, and then the suppliers get customers with returns, warranties to pay for the goods to be returned to them overseas for the warranty at a cost to the purchaser,

At the end of the day the retailers need to cover cost like warranty and service which should be enough to warrant buying from NZ suppliers if they are not being greddy and have good service and cover warranty.

Im sure if we purchased a garmin product on line, and it had a warranty issue the local guys would not to be happy about servicing it etc, but the catch 22 is that if they dont, everyone paints a picture of them been a bad supplier and or brand which is no good and lacks service.

Maybe we need a huge display shop were people pay to enter it, and they get to play with all the latest products etc that they are thinking about buying online and see if thats what they really want before they went and internet shopped, that would help everyone right?

who would pay to go to a shop like that?

Yep I understand that comletely Bartb. And because of that, it is very rarely worth buying electronics from overseas. But in this case, US$1699 against NZ$6K. You do the math. You could buy two and still have change. That is if the price is for the complete package that is. I am trying to understand what is wrong with the deal. It looks too good to be true and we all know the rest of that one. Or maybe the Garmin fellow gave me the wrong price. Perhaps he included a Pump or something i don't need.

If a retailer of Garmin is lurking, maybe it's a good time to jump in with the correct price if the $6K is wrong.

Has to be with the ram, it just can't be that expensive without.

We bought two jackets at west marine in San Francisco last year. The zip failed on one at the start of winter and westmarine got it picked up from work, shipped to the US and while that was happening a new one was sent straight over! I thought WTF who does that?? I buy what I can from them (within reason) just because of this service. Service and what I think is a fair and acceptable ("in my head") price to pay for something always get my loyalty. One supplier of chains from these forums already has that loyalty for all our future ropes and chains, and I havn't even bought anything from them yet!. All this just from a quote request and some wicked advice :mrgreen: I wouldnt have found this supplier if it wasnt for this forum and surfing around. They do exist, just hard to find. I've found one in nz, where are the others?

Bartb, thanks for your responses.

I guess this may not relate directly to your industry, however

1. Warrantees. I understood that warrantees were derived from the manufacturer, not the retailer, therefore any warrantee work was an income stream for the retailer. I.e. the manufacturer would reimburse the retailer for the cost of repair, or ask the retailer to return the item to them at their cost. This is how its worked in a number of retailing channels Ive worked it.

2. Service. What cost do you need to cover? Every time I’ve had someone ‘service’ my gear, I’ve paid them money to do it. It’s been part of their income stream.

There's no doubt you can often buy the same product online cheaper than locally - in most cases its simply economies of scale. I know that Westmarine can retail (and profit from) one very popular brand of electronics cheaper than the NZ wholesaler can buy it.

In most cases a manufacturers warranty will mean the local agent may well cover it's warranty even if purchased online. In almost all cases any (if any) reimbursement from manufacturer will not cover the time and effort spent in resolving the issue. Make no mistake warranty claims can be time consuming and costly for an agent. This is where service comes in. Again referring to the electronics brand referred to earlier, they would cover a faulty item if you took it to them and happily liase with the manufacturer about it. Your priority would likely be very low - they have their own paying customers to give higher priority to. Unfortunately this may mean you're without product X for a month or two in peak season. Bit of a pity if this is an anchor windlass or plotter. However, with products they sold and we installed on boats, they would provide onsite service to us - if we had to remove the item, we would charge them and they would pay. If something went wrong on an important item, they would happily replace or repair it in a hurry.

I'd personally happily pay a premium for a locally purchased product if I was satisfied with the service level of the local agent. As Bart alluded to, maybe agents should charge for their knowledge and advice if all people want to do is window shop their range then try and cherry pick product cheaper from google....

Bartb, thanks for your responses.

I guess this may not relate directly to your industry, however

1. Warrantees. I understood that warrantees were derived from the manufacturer, not the retailer, therefore any warrantee work was an income stream for the retailer. I.e. the manufacturer would reimburse the retailer for the cost of repair, or ask the retailer to return the item to them at their cost. This is how its worked in a number of retailing channels Ive worked it.

2. Service. What cost do you need to cover? Every time I’ve had someone ‘service’ my gear, I’ve paid them money to do it. It’s been part of their income stream.

1) Sometimes but not always and the rate at which the manufacturer reimburses the retailer may be a pittance. If the product is to be returned the manufacturer will generally get a credit on their account for the next reorder. Great if you have lots in stock, but if you only order 1 or 2 every 3 - 4 months its potentially a lost sail and empty shelves

2) Service = knowledge + effort + priority. Most of the service you receive from an agent is not paid for. They provide it in part so you will be persuaded to purchase from them. Don't expect this service if you saved a buck fifty from Westmarine...

I think that people miss the point a little with buying online and comparing online prices to what the chandleries etc charge, when you buy online or overseas, the warranty becomes the issue of that company that sold it, ( well it should). not the local agent

:lol: :lol: Been there done that Bart and you are bashing your head against a brick wall. But good on ya for havin a crack all the same.

Nicely said Dan.

Oui hang on a mo, wasn't Tuffy running the 500% odd margins in a previous incarnation of this pricing theme? If it was he must be in Chch, that's also on wobbly ground :wink:

Oui hang on a mo, wasn't Tuffy running the 500% odd margins in a previous incarnation of this pricing theme? If it was he must be in Chch, that's also on wobbly ground :wink:

Yup, and still are. Nothing wobbly about it.

However, we might have to put it up to 600% to cover the cost of the new anchor and chain if the dude who scoped the gear ever gets around to sending me the quote :wink:

Not sure what is worse though Sailfish. That we are a bunch of whinging old men that can't remember what we talked about 12mths ago, or that you went looking for a thread 12mths old, because we all know how much of a Pain in the A it is doing a search on this site :wink:

Rrather than whinge about this boat show, lets come up with something for next year...

How would you lot react to an "Interactive" Farr 3.7 stand???

I'll supply some sand paper and a pot of paint, then you guys can participate in doing my boat up! :D

New Zealand Marine Industry is FANTASTIC. You try getting products, service etc here in Europe... FRUSTRATING!!!

I have had my moans in the past about NZ Marine industry ...especially ignoring me, a mere female when entering a store and obviously looking at a product, happened also at the Auckland boat show, husband had to walk up to salesmen who were walking around me serving all the males and ask them specifically to talk to me about a product. But I say again NZ Marine industry is great.

There are thousands of boats in the med .. try and find a decent marine shop ... very hard. Seems most people order on line from UK or US. But then postage/ delivery becomes a problem especially for us itinerant types. Cruisers who go to UK usually come back with marine gear as their souveniers. Here in Gibraltar about 5 planes land on the runway beside us each day from the UK but deliveries mail and courier can take up to 2 weeks from the UK or US. One aussie cruiser at the moment is waiting for a letter from UK sent 9 days ago! There were quite good marine shops in Palma Mallorca but not cheap. The marine industry in Marmaris, Turkey is also good but for us that was many miles and 6 months ago. Here one well known firm has the monopoly on chandlery and workshop, they need more opposition. If you are a marine tradesman, electronic or mechanical this would be a good place to work.

Overseas boats who arrive at Opua or Auckland and see everything they may need right in front of them must think they are in heaven.

Although Just because the NZ industry is better than overseas including Our aussie neighbours...in my opinion, doesnt mean there isnt room for improvement!!

How would you lot react to an "Interactive" Farr 3.7 stand???

I'll supply some sand paper and a pot of paint, then you guys can participate in doing my boat up! :D

One incy wincy little problem. You obviously have not asked what they charge for a stand. It would be cheaper to get your boat proffesionaly painted.

Archived