Auckland Internatioal BoatShow

BvanVugt

Hi, Can anyone tell me the 0800 number for doyles stand boat show heard it on zb ,Im over Deaker listening for add again ,they are offering 25 % discount at boat show cheers
In the Show booklet thing they have - 0800 472 457.

What, you Been there and back again KM??. Did you just idle through on your Motorbike??

:lol: :lol: I'm knot quite as trinketcentric as you Mr Wheels. I breezed past things in milliseconds you would have spent an hour at.

KM, I could see our big yellow test bed there and maybe a few competitions on what pull something would break at. Demos of some techy splicing and maybe a few classes on basic splicing.
Back in the days of Imtec on the wharf there was a small stand with 2 dudes sitting there splicing basic ropes. Mainly, I'm told, to stave off boredom but that stand always had a big crowd, people liked seeing something happening. I do very much believe the Show would be a vast improvement with things like that, glassing demos as you noted and other things like those happening. Maybe we do need to go next year and inject a bit of old school roughness and shite happening back into it :lol: :lol:
KM, I could see our big yellow test bed there and maybe a few competitions on what pull something would break at. Demos of some techy splicing and maybe a few classes on basic splicing.

YEAH :!: :!: Busting stuff is always fun and draws a crowd.

Now just get people to bring along all their old shackes, samples of worn bits of chain and have fun!!

Perhaps even a pre-bust guess of strength LEFT could earn a varing discount on replacement gear, like a "spin the wheel" but you need to choose 5%, 10%, 15% etc of "normal" breaking vs your old chain or shackle going "BOINNNNGGGG".

Happy to help on this one!!

Options for side bets as well from Joe Public.

Might have to sell access tickets for queue spaces to visit KM's stand staring the "Dangerous Wheels".

We won't charge tickets, but we may have to charge for safety items. Hard hat, Safety Glasses, Bullet proof vest and maybe a Criket Cup. The more the punters pay, the more safety gear they get to wear :wink:

Hey wheels, our garmin autopilot (ghp12 released this year) has auto tack, auto gybe and gybe preventer.

Well funny that, because the Garmin man said yes it does it, but he couldn't show me. He pressed a few buttons and kind of gave up. I do like that gybe preventer idea and that it is pretty much fully programable to suit your own needs. Not cheap though eh. :problem:

I guess the boatshow price would have been quite expensive. I imported when the dollar was high (well same as now) and bought from boatfix.com . You press the middle and left button at the same time to tack left, or middle and right to tack right. Yup you can configure everything and anything. What did they want for it at the boat show? Cost me about 7k all up including gst to the door and thats with the class b drive (1 ton ram) and wind thingie at the top of the mast.

I guess the boatshow price would have been quite expensive. I imported when the dollar was high (well same as now) and bought from boatfix.com .
Just had a suss out of interest and you would be far better off buying in NZ. I know the price of a few instruments, knot boat show specials just std pricing, and buying at Boatfix would cost you quite a few $100 more. In one common case I found at US$1750 where you can buy the exact same gear here for NZ$1695.

like a "spin the wheel"
Better check that with Mrs Wheels first to see if she's OK and he just won't keep falling over :)

The Garmin was close to $6K. Without all those extra's you got. I thought a little on the steep side. But then, that would be full RRP because it was Garmin themselvs and not a retailer and they suggested a retailer i should go see.

The Garmin was close to $6K. Without all those extra's you got. I thought a little on the steep side. But then, that would be full RRP because it was Garmin themselvs and not a retailer and they suggested a retailer i should go see.

And I guess its those retailers that will give you a good deal or not and knowing which ones to go to. For a noob like me I didn't and only know the places like bartonmarine and burnsco. We bought our garmin chartplotter in the states and got it here for $2500NZ and in the shops here its 4k! So with that experience I didnt even look for the autopilot here. It would be good if they did deals here, or boat show specials that way I would support retailers here, but paying 1500nz for the privilege of buying from a nz retailer just isnt worth it.

Not really anything to interest the small boat owners/cruisers like us.! :crazy:

Innovation this year came with a price tag that I think a lot felt was not justified. Dissapointed? Not really, the idea is to see whats around the corner once the market begins to turnover enough product (or competition is moving in) to level out pricing where the real kiwi boat owner can afford. "Bimini Babe" is right, a lot of product was ,more suited to the "super yacht" brigade than your average non company owning bloke who works for a living who dreams of one day sailing into the sunset. NICE stuff!!.... but win lotto to ever buy it.

no food stands as it clashed with skycity/viaduct events centre contract to provide food.

CHANGE IT then. Don't fight it, Just fix it then. If you don't everyone will loose. Think positive - it's easy - try 'PINK' like 'Sundreamer' Try it It woprks. Ciao, SR aka jj

Oh! Some will remember my rant about the cost of two glasses of wine at a viaduct basin eatery some months ago??................. We cued for coffee (yes no sign of food about) but down came the rain so headed to the main pavilion and up stairs to the caferteria and (silly me!!) decided 2 glasses of "house red" would be nice.....

OH DEAR!!... "Orchard Road" and again less than 1/2 a glass at TWELVE DOLLARS a glass! It had me wishing I had a intrevenous drip to get the maximum benifit from the little drop that occupied the glass!!!!!.... it reminded me of a Prime UK comedy show where the shop owner announcers "I saw you coming.."

Another thread on a different topic reminded me of the Sail cloth on display. All guchii carbon fibre stuff. I think many of the Businesses at the show are completely missing the size of the "Family" type sailor on the Gulf. Not all can afford or need the big dollar products and are very interested in what solutions are offered for the everyday sailor/cruiser.

But lets take this thread to a different angle with the question of why are we not seeing that???

Is it cost of buying a stand???

Is it that many componies are out of touch with reality??

Is it that sales of the top end gear simply outstrips the middle of the road and so they are not interested in the middle of the road

Is it that there are simply no products in the middle of the road. Is it just top end Gucchi and then Chinese??

Guest Saturday Night Special

Most bussiness are chasing the big project dollars and dont consider the small family/home builder an economic viabililty.Also the General public have been convinced into the concepts of foreign envy so very little do it yourself work is being done either building new our reto fitting just buy something cheap from overseas but the the reality is it aint cheap in the long run

Thanks all those who visited and introduced themselves. Always nice to put faces to names. And apologies to those who were wandering past when I was off the stand or with another customer.

We had good feedback for our stand, and look forward to sorting out those who were on the hunt but not buying today. And we do watermakers too! But with the swiss franc the way it is, I think we're the most expensive per kg you can find. Still good tho'

And I hope our promo girls were up to par for the boys, and the balloons and decent bags helped make the day more enjoyable for the family.

Agreed re the food. Sky City were great last time but might have run out of steam for this show as well as all the World Cup festivities.

If you didn't find us or have time to get to the Show, come and see us at Gaunt St.

Is it that many componies are out of touch with reality??

Is it that sales of the top end gear simply outstrips the middle of the road and so they are not interested in the middle of the road. Is it that there are simply no products in the middle of the road. Is it just top end Gucchi and then Chinese??

A case in point... many auxiliary displays. I walked past a Gardener that was almost as big as my boat! A lot of intercooled multi-turbo common rail jobs until I came to Brent and the Yanmar range. SMALL and affordable diesels. Even most of the rigging was SUPER F@^%EN YACHT stuff! A sheet winch bigger than our washing machine! W H Y !!?? In the hope of that one MILLION dollar sale?? I wonder how many $500 sales walked past with wallets tightly closed!? Its as though the chandlery industry is more out to out do the competition in the "mine's bigger" stakes than actually target where the money really is.... the average medium size business employee who has bought a yacht or launch and wanting to do it up! And who brings boats to a CAR sale? Oh! it was a boat show? They even managed to shove some display car into the upstairs cafeteria.. it was RED so probably acceptable 8) Wheels is right. Start a real "boat" show and put it in SOUTH Auckland somewhere (anyone around Otara with a good size swimming pool? :think: ), charge 5 bucks to get in and a 2 dollar sausage sizzle and hold on to the Y fronts babe coz they are gonna come! .... time for a new direction or should that be focus for the marine industry in Auckers. (Anyone see the life raft for PETS at Maritime NZ?? cute! .. although 2 cats would be the limit :lol: )

I totally agree with whats said above.

The boss wanted something from a stand in the tent

We stood there for about 5 min while the man on the stand talked to another exhibitor.

We were the only one's there !

Eventually he came over and asked if we were interested or just looking ?

Then he told us we could buy from any good chandler store

When we asked if we could buy direct from him he said that the person that did that wasn't there. WTF

We came home and have purchased the same thing at 1/3 the price direct on line

Didnt find Jono as we entered from Gaunt St just waved our tickets at a guy on the ramp down to the boats, when through all the exhibits on the west side then when we walked across the draw bridge the guy on that side said we needed a wrist band and we could get one at the events centre back over the side we had just come from.

So we went back and had another look at the 45 to 55 footers then went home.

Overall I thought it was slightly better than before (more yachts) but it needs to be more together not a blood crap hunt to find a handful of good stands

Strange thing this pricing business. I took a wee look on line to see what the Garmin AP could be had for overseas. It's the GHP12 that I need for my boat size. There is a GHP10 and a GHP12. I found a US Seller called Wakezone that had the 12 for US$1699.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garmin-G ... 4159cabe0d

They will ship worldwide and have 5 units. I would need to query them before I bought, but looking at their add, I can not understand why and how this is so cheap. I have found other retailers with prices rangine from aprox $US1800 and US$1900, yet I have also found Retailers selling the same thing for aprox US$4K, which is more like the approx NZ$6K I was told by Garmin at the show. So this wild range of pricing makes me a little hesitant.

Archived