This is bull S#*t

So all you guys who have been ripping into TVNZ are no doubt busy posting full blown apologies and retractions for getting your facts wrong and recognising that the root cause problem was not TVNZ but powers outside their control?

+1. Perhaps some humble pie needs to be eaten by a few

i'll apologise for blaming them for the lack of ability to watch Youtube. Sorry TVNZ

However, I stand by my complaints about the quality of their 'highlights' package. It still sux and i won't bother watching again, unless on at a convenient time and I have nothing better to do.

Same from me.

But they are yet to reply to my queries about what was happening

- If they were to respond quicker to complaints they might not end up getting a slating for something that they did not cause / do

Yes - it was the numpties at *should I say?*.

I heard back from the person at TVNZ I asked, and he said exactly the same thing (and he's in a position to know, or find out the facts). *numpties* were embedding the footage in their site without permission, so in the end ACEA blocked the relevant IP address ranges from viewing the footage.

Just had that story verified by a second source. It seems they were embedding the footage in their site (without any credits even) and that's why ACEA had NZ's IP ranges blocked.

A fairly wide-ranging action to take to punish one party. Reminiscent of the old school days and "everyone is going to be kept late until the person that stole Bobby's lunch owns up."

A lot could have been avoided if the people who were aware what was going on had been forthcoming with that info (including keeping ETNZ informed).

I do apologise to TVNZ, partially... I assumed that since the blockage applied to New Zealand that it was at the request of the broadcast rights holder for NZ. I was wrong.

However, I still don't understand why:

1. TVNZ doesn't just provide the full set of feeds on their website for all of the racing and all of the replays.

2. Why they think a magazine show and highlights and one fleet race live is what the viewers want. Why not do what is suggested in 1. above and then monitor the hits to actually find out what the viewers want.

3. Why NZ was blocked because sailworld was doing something...

30s this time :lol: wonder if they are paying someone to sit there and edit it?

You bet they are. They have to. Because the internet is way too dangerous to leave unsupervised. As this example has illustrated, whilst the internet is great for fast communication, it can also be lethal because the uninformed masses can jump onto your company website/facebook page and trash your reputation in a matter of minutes with 100% false and inaccurate accusations.

It's ironic that the public (including many people here) often criticise the media for inaccuracy. And here is a classic example of the opposite i.e. the media could rightfully criticise the public for the same error!

1. TVNZ doesn't just provide the full set of feeds on their website for all of the racing and all of the replays.

2. Why they think a magazine show and highlights and one fleet race live is what the viewers want. Why not do what is suggested in 1. above and then monitor the hits to actually find out what the viewers want.

chap

After the discussion this morning I can assure you they are stepping up the program heaps for the next one. They are struggling to get people to do things as producers and editors are tied up with that game that uses an odd shapped ball. They will be doing live coverage of fleet and match racing and an extended highlights package as well. I suggested they run it on sunday morning about 7 am before we all go out sailing for the day. They are also looking at putting the whole race on tv on demand.

As you are probably well aware they cannot put whole races for us to watch in prime time as we are a such a small part of the viewing population. After the talk I am happy with the direction they are heading. Perhaps if you all put nice comments in the suggesttion box with no foul language you will get some more traction and they are open to sesnsible suggestions.

I suggested they run it on sunday morning about 7 am before we all go out sailing for the day. They are also looking at putting the whole race on tv on demand.

If they do that I'll go back to the feedback page and thank them for listening :thumbup:

chap

After the discussion this morning I can assure you they are stepping up the program heaps for the next one. They are struggling to get people to do things as producers and editors are tied up with that game that uses an odd shapped ball. They will be doing live coverage of fleet and match racing and an extended highlights package as well. I suggested they run it on sunday morning about 7 am before we all go out sailing for the day. They are also looking at putting the whole race on tv on demand.

That really is great to hear.

For clarity I was not even considering what they put on broadcast TV, as I would not watch it on TV anyway... I want to be able to see the content when it suits me, not when it suits them... I was talking entirely about the feeds over the internet and them putting them ALL on their ondemand site. I can't see why they need producers and editors for this. (For TV yes, and good luck to them, I hope that's successful)... The point is, and I think always has been, the feeds, live races, and full replays of ALL of the fleet and match racing were all available on Youtube. Then they were not.

I thas emerged that this is apparently due to what sailworld were doing. I understand that (except the bit about how what I thought was an Australian website resulted in the feeds being blocked to NZ but still working in Australia) but in the meantime I don't understand why TVNZ just doesn't take the youtube feeds we used to be able to get (at Cascais and in the early days of Plymouth) and put them through their on demand site... that's the point I was trying to make.

What they do with Broadcast TV - hmmm, yeah, whatever..

As you are probably well aware they cannot put whole races for us to watch in prime time as we are a such a small part of the viewing population.

Yep, but I don't really care what they do with TV. I am living in 2011. I actually still have a TV at the moment, but when it dies I won't be replacing it... It's a twighlight technology going the way of casette tapes and VHS.

After the talk I am happy with the direction they are heading. Perhaps if you all put nice comments in the suggesttion box with no foul language you will get some more traction and they are open to sesnsible suggestions.

Yep, roger that.

I still don't buy it.

There are many things on Youtube that have embedding disabled. Lots of music videos and stuff like that. I often find videos embedded on facebook or somewhere else and upon clicking get a message stating it can only be watched on Youtube.

If it was an embedding issue, they would have done the same.

If it is a copying issue, then we have a copyright infringement which would/should be resolved in the normal way, rather than blocking every IP address from a country. Besides, blocking NZ would not resolve this as the offending website can access and copy the footage from elsewhere.

In terms of apologising to TVNZ? It was Sailworld that pointed the finger at them and we reacted in the corresponding manner. It would now be up to Sailworld to apologise for this, not us viewers. If, in fact, this is the full story.

I didn't take a swipe at TVNZ so all good there but suppose I should apologies to Phil Goff for calling him Silly Philly.... yeah right as if that'll happen, the guys still a dick.

But this thread does show it's best knot to annoy you uppity lot :lol: :lol:

Have checked and Sail-World.com uses ip 119.82.150.7 which is an Australian IP not a New Zealand one see here http://www.checksitetraffic.com/ip_address/119.82.150.7.

So we all got blocked for no good reason, looks like the Aussies have done it to us again. :evil:

G'day 'Team-Willow' person. OK - I'm in OZ & have been known to be a tad persuasive & somewhat of a negotiator - - so What U want me to do?? Is there anything or anyway I can assist this 'total stuff-up' to not happen again? I do agree with the above 'B-E' that we've not seen all the cards on the table. I also don't for 1 little nano-second believe that - who (whom) ever they were - will try to do it to the event in the USA. If I can be of any assistance - say so & I'll give it all I've got. Ciao, james

Archived