The real CC

Justuts

Hey all,

Unfortunately we missed the last Simrad due to having the boat out of the water and finding serious issues with the rudder. We are making progress on a number of different fronts in terms of RNZ prep, and the silver lining to discovering the rudder needs a rebuild is that we have found out now. As Tim put it, it doesn't matter if it disintegrates 300 miles off Westport or 300 meters off Westhaven, you got a serious problem on your hands when it happens. But with that in mind, we have some training miles to catch up on.

Once the rudder has gone back in (1-2 weeks) we are looking at replicating the Simrad course and going for a yacht. If anyone is up for another round, then we would enjoy the company and pressure of an informal race. (Thinking at this stage is probably the 8th of Oct, let me know if keen).

The real reason for the post though is that we really want to use the Coastal as a good chance to work on sleep management and running the boat in solo watches, so we are planning on rounding the finish mark and carrying on for a bit. :D

We are thinking either out to the Moks and home, or provided there isn't anything too nasty coming, or we have enough company to feel comfortable, outside barrier and home. To make it interesting, we could probably rustle up a bottle of rum or two to wager. So if anyone is doing the Coastal two handed and wants to do a few extra miles then give us a shout (full crews welcome too I guess).

Stu

As Tim put it, it doesn't matter if it disintegrates 300 miles off Westport or 300 meters off Westhaven, you got a serious problem on your hands when it happens.

I'll pick 300 miles off Westport please. Them Westhaven rocks come up very quick sometimes.

So it looks like we wont be going around barrier. Forecasts are for a very soft Saturday night and we have to be back for Sunday evening (something about a rugby game...). We are definitely still turnnig around at the end and may rond the moks to startboard. Will confirm once we have firmer weather data in 24hrs.

Sally, I'll pm you. Anyone else let us know, maybe we take our own times at Orakei to keep us focussed on the way back?

Archived