PowerDive Hookah Dive Unit - Electric

Bullrush

I'm selling my electric PowerDive unit, as I've now got a petrol one.

This is the original model (same specs, different top, enclosed unit).

Runs on motor bike type batteries.

Perfect for shallow scallop dives, or boat cleaning.

I'm running it on smaller than recommended batteries so can only get to about 25 foot with it, (still deep enough to get the scallops at Kawau!) but with the correct batteries you are supposed to be able to get to 39ft.

Complete set up for two divers (two regs, hoses etc). Quick easy set up, as you dont need a BCD, no gear to lug around, you can be in the water in minutes. Great on the yacht, as it doesnt take up much room, and you never need to refil tanks.

Also great for kids to snorkel with on the beach, or around the rocks (with adult supervision, or course!)

It's packed in the roof at the moment, but I'll attempt to get at it for better photos.

http://www.powerdive.com.au

The new model (powersnorkel) is shown on the main web page. Mine is basically the same unit, but the original version, which has a yellow bouy, a flat white top, and is nowhere near as good looking (what a sales pitch).

Runs like a dream and is very quiet.

Price $1600.00

PM me if interested and I'll get back to you, Janine

hookah pump trade me.jpg

powerdive3.jpg

powerdive scallops.JPG

I have 2 of those, a floater and a non-floater, and can confirm they are bloody good. We also take one away when we cruz for scallop killing, bum washing and kiddy entertainment.

We often pop down to Moto one or the other and I'll park with 2-300mm under the keel. Drop a few weights in my pocket and then just walk around under the boat cleaning her. Works a treat and makes if so easy. In some spots use bare feet and they have detected a Scolly or 2 at the same time.

With the kids it keeps them amused for hours. D2 love it and she's 11yo. With the Powerdives you can tweak the hose length so they only get 6-8mts down so no worries about bends or Narks. If they are deep and you want the kids back just turn off the switch, they will pop up a minute or 2 later :)

Last summer when we had that week of stinking hot weather me and the Wa jumped over and sat in the shallows with the water a foot over our heads playing checkers. So much cooler but was hard to have a Gay of a Ciggy. Yes I did have a try at another recreational adult activity but got slapped down on that.

A very handy thing to have aboard for many reasons, both fun and serious.

OK, I'm looking for comment and opinion on which is better, the floater or the non-floater (KM, this is directed at you) and on the relative merits of electric vs petrol powered.

Obviously the electric units will be quieter, lighter and probably simpler but probably less grunty(??). No chance of getting exhaust fumes sucked down the pipe to the diver, but limited depths because of less grunt(??) and you then have to charge a battery after your diving is done. Petrol powered units would be heavier, noisier and probably more expensive(?) but with more compressor grunt and you'd have to carry around more petrol.

Is this an accurate round up?

So is the smaller, simpler electric unit that much of a limitation (particularly with a single diver only)? I'm thinking of a simpler, lighter, easier way to have a diving ability for boat cleaning, prop clearing, anode changing, etc as well as the odd foray for tasty seafood. I figure the non-floating unit could be chucked into the dink with a bod following a single diver who is plundering the underwater world, so my guess on the floater/non-floater deal is that its not really a big issue(??).

Yeap, you pretty much have it nailed Grinna.

I tend to take the non-floater away and it's fine 98% of the time but there are times the floater would open up the adventure side more. With the other you can chuck it in the ding as you say but then you can use the floater just like a non-floater anyway.

If I was to recommend one for you Grinna thinking of your planed plans I'd be speaking to Bullrush and grab that one, it does give you both options in one unit.

Hi Grinna,

The Power Dive:

Awesome floating unit as takes up little room on the yacht I often dive alone, and the bouy/unit floats above you, so the boatman/other yachts/fizz nasties know where you are (hopefully). Real quick to assemble - about 4 mins and I'm in the water. If you dont want to tow it (ie you are diving in the marina) just throw it on the dock. I run it on a small battery and get about ? odd mins/25 foot out of it. Powerdive guys said get a proper battery into it, and I should get 50 mins, and 39 foot. I only use it for the quick scallop dive, so have never bothered. I really enjoy the quietness of this unit - it also has a resovoir tank, so if the battery runs flat you have a few extra breaths. You can tell when it's running low anyway, as it's gets harder to breath...time to head up...they are retailing $2995 AUS new, manufactured in Mackay. Low maintenance too. Standard kit is set up for two divers. Parts etc, avail ex Aus and somewhere on the North Shore, NZ. (cant remember how many minutes I get out of it)

The Petrol Powered Hookah.

I've got a Brownie's Third Lung.

Petrol powered, comes standard with a setup for 3 divers.

I'm not too familier with it yet, only having dived on it last season.

Noisy, and you need to make sure there is good ventalation/wind, or you can suck in the fumes, and it IS bad.

Good points are that you have a greater depth (the petrol engines are gruntier than the electric and thus force down more air) and you can stay down longer.

They are however a lot more cumbersome. I lamented the space it takes up on the boat compared to the Powerdive. The floats and casing are huge due to the size of the engine and hard casing. Then you have to store the petrol...

I tend to just use the battery that came with the floating unit, a 35Ah glass mat one. About an hour's worth at a time, a bit less if you have a couple of suckers on it.

When I take the non-floater away I take that battery and to charge it I jumper cable off the boats battery. Knot sure how long it takes but it's knot long. I have also charged it directly off a 7.5W solar panel, took a wee while but if there is plenty of down time that works real sweet. I was going to plug it into my 40W panel but didn't have a controller so didn't want to fry it but that would work damn well I'd think.

You can use the floater as a non-floater, I have a few times. As Bullrush said, if I'm doing a bum scrub I just leave the lot in the marina trolley on the finger next to the boat. The hoses are long so no worries there.

Also as Bullrush said they are very fast to get going with, way faster than suiting up in full scuba.

I do like them a lot and if I was heading off into the deep blue cruzing I'd make sure I had one aboard, just so handy for many things.

Go rummage that couch :lol: :lol:

Bullrush - did you end up selling this puppy?

Mentioned in another post I am looking for a compressor or one these for a boys trip next year. For one of these I am happy to consider buy, hire, beg, borrow, stral, trade for rum or crayfish......

Archived