Auckland/ NZ yachting.

Whats happening with the yachting in Auckland / NZ. Round North island race 3-5 entries, the squaddy need 10 to make it happen. Feeder race to BOI race week no entrys.

Seams pretty slack for the city of sails and nz in genral. Any idea what the story is, Work commitments? Recession? Cant be Arsed. ??????????????

Whats happening with the yachting in Auckland / NZ. Round North island race 3-5 entries, the squaddy need 10 to make it happen. Feeder race to BOI race week no entrys.

Seams pretty slack for the city of sails and nz in genral. Any idea what the story is, Work commitments? Recession? Cant be Arsed. ??????????????

Liking the question motorboy. your from my tribe !

my take on it is ...

YNZ could take some of thier millions and put a big stash of prize money on it.

say $40k for handicap prze

and put a new Peter Blake trophy on it for fastest time.

and for the big "enticer" a free kick in the nads for ernesto for every finisher.

that should do it!

who's in?

or they could change the cat rules to make it more affordable and more sensible :silent:

Don't be so logical! :crazy:

Do you want to attract entries ???

Bloody silly!

Liking the question motorboy. your from my tribe !

my take on it is ...

YNZ could take some of thier millions and put a big stash of prize money on it.

say $40k for handicap prze

and put a new Peter Blake trophy on it for fastest time.

and for the big "enticer" a free kick in the nads for ernesto for every finisher.

that should do it!

who's in?

Not sure Ernesto is worth a kick. Recon that pricks nut will be like a couple of soft centred chocolates. The one worth it is Brad, for a shot at his recon I would go round twice.

Maybe nobody has ISO standard drawings for their mast/keel/anything structural modifications in order to get a cat 2 cert?

There is a good race up on Saturday to Parua Bay, whangarei.

Those of then going on to BOI will leave on Sunday.

Conditions look perfect, 15-20 knot SSW.

A few years back the entries in the Parua Bay race run by the NZMYC have always outnumbered the Squaddy feeder race.

There is a good race up on Saturday to Parua Bay, whangarei.

Those of then going on to BOI will leave on Sunday.

Conditions look perfect, 15-20 knot SSW.

A few years back the entries in the Parua Bay race run by the NZMYC have always outnumbered the Squaddy feeder race.

It appears, from this thread, that the "less regulated" multi's have more ability to run (low compliance / low cost) offshore / inshore races than the "over regulated" (YNZ/, ISAF?) keel boat fleets / clubs.

[

It appears, from this thread, that the "less regulated" multi's have more ability to run (low compliance / low cost) offshore / inshore races than the "over regulated" (YNZ/, ISAF?) keel boat fleets / clubs.

Is this because a multi needs less crew? or maybee is more fun to sail so easier to find crew? Or is it because racing cuts in on family life more these days.

But how can this be, our boats are faster so we should be back sooner, is it then that as "new age guys" we are expected to be there to feed babies, change nappies and all that other womans work which we should refuse to do when we should be sailing?

Or worse still is it all the estrogin we have consumed through the food chain, is taking away our desire to sail as you get all wet and cold and can have a horrid time if it rains........the skipper yelled at me and I broke my nails

have a steak take a dump and go sailing......burp

[

Is this because a multi needs less crew? or maybee is more fun to sail so easier to find crew? Or is it because racing cuts in on family life more these days.

But how can this be, our boats are faster so we should be back sooner, is it then that as "new age guys" we are expected to be there to feed babies, change nappies and all that other womans work which we should refuse to do when we should be sailing?

Or worse still is it all the estrogin we have consumed through the food chain, is taking away our desire to sail as you get all wet and cold and can have a horrid time if it rains........the skipper yelled at me and I broke my nails

have a steak take a dump and go sailing......burp

Many a true word spoken in jest!

We need a breakaway sailing organisation with pre 1990 rules!!

Word of mouth "no rules" racing!

Bring back the danger!

I see you boys have been smoking that Te Puke thunder again,,,,an organisation dedicated to meeting the hopes and aspirations of yachties for yachties...take a deep breath and smell that coffee fellas, we have had it at various times but eventually they all succumb to beleiving they are more important than the competitors (SSANZ the latest casualty here) their ego's let them beleive they are all knowing and that they know better than their public and issue edicts by way of finalised NOR's that do not meet our hopes or needs.

The Multi boys are doing it right at the moment (cause they are on the up and are listening to their sailors,) and the skiffies are the sole outfit that can show a long history of working for their members, mostly cause they do it for themselves.

Very sad to see the cancellation of the RNI, we didn't enter mostly becasue of the length of time required to complete the race with the IRC nationals thrown in the middle which turned an event that could have been run over two weekends and 5 work days into a 2 week+ tour which meant we would probable need two or three crews to complete....a logistical nightmare, I rasied these issues with both KORC and RPNYC and was told to mind my own business. My crew have real jobs and can only take so much time off work so we pick our events.

We don't do Bay week cause we on family cruising time and enjoy the time with our family and the BMW has been such a fiasco with the competing forces and the lack of a coherent event with the fleet scattered between different classes and venues and no decent apres sailing programme as befits the what should be the nations premier regatta.

Marsh

Agree with 90% of your comments but a bit confused re SSANZ - last time I looked their events were going great guns - could you explain in more detail?

Cheers

ah the holy grail, yes my comment about SSANZ was deliberate, they were the last bastion of yachties for yachties, seamanship, upskilling etc,etc then we had the 2008 fiasco where suddenly the rules changed and it was no longer possible to race in conditions that previously had been allowed. Then last year we had the high handed lectures about no late entries and then those that dared to question the front office were told to join the committee or F off. When the leadership head down that pathway then things unravel. I have been a great supporter of SSANZ and hope they get back to the type of outfit they were in previous years, I know that most of the posters on this site will brook no crticism of SSANZ but I think they have put themselves above their members in recent times.

Incidentally the other place we could rely on RAYC was a bit shaky for a year or two but they have listened to their base and made changes to the Gold Cup and this years offshore race in response to the feedback they had, hats off to them

ah the holy grail, yes my comment about SSANZ was deliberate, they were the last bastion of yachties for yachties, seamanship, upskilling etc,etc then we had the 2008 fiasco where suddenly the rules changed and it was no longer possible to race in conditions that previously had been allowed. Then last year we had the high handed lectures about no late entries and then those that dared to question the front office were told to join the committee or F off. When the leadership head down that pathway then things unravel. I have been a great supporter of SSANZ and hope they get back to the type of outfit they were in previous years, I know that most of the posters on this site will brook no crticism of SSANZ but I think they have put themselves above their members in recent times.

Incidentally the other place we could rely on RAYC was a bit shaky for a year or two but they have listened to their base and made changes to the Gold Cup and this years offshore race in response to the feedback they had, hats off to them

So you think YNZ is a redundant organisation that has lost contact with the sailors via the yachtclubs? (The Yacht clubs / associations that have lost contact with the sailors)

Blind leading the blind in most cases?

We don't need to look to far to see what is wrong, we have a premier regatta on our door step in AK and it can only pull in 64 entries.

Personally I think it is because 99% of boats are not race boats, but owners think that they need to win to have fun, rather than seeing the enjoyment of racing against other like boats all at the same speed.

I have no problems flaunting my dacrons, if I am in a group of like minded people. Simrad and coastal seem to be the only two events that have cracked this perception

YNZ should change their name to NZ Olympic YAchting T (thus not raising expectations that they have no intention to deliver) and let the rest of us have an organisation that is committed to meeting our needs. I am involved at various levels in other sports and while it is always easy to slag off the national body I don't think there is another national body that is held in such low esteem as YNZ is at the grass roots level. Their only interest is to meet the imperatives of their funding base (SPARC) and chase medals, because their funding is limited they are forced to pick winners and put their resources into a very narrow field. It is a shame that they have shown no interest is seeking an alternative funding base to support the grass roots of our sport.

As to the regattas yep I agree there are only 4-5 boats in most divisions that are capable of winning a major regatta, the rest of us are out there for the joy of sailing and competing at the highest level that we can. The BMW should be based at one venue with all the yachts at the venue with a decent after match day programme so that those of us who are not going to win can have a quality event that we want to support. it shoudn't be impossible to move enough boats around westhaven or gulf harbour to domocile the fleet at one venue or take the whole thing to Kawau and use Mansion House, Pah Farm or Lidgards as regatta central, even base the centreboarders at Algies and have everything from opti's, to skiffs, to sport boats, to weekend warriors to the garnd prix boats racing on the same waters (Kawau Bay and outside). If it good enough for the superyacht contingent to be able to enjoy Mansion House what about us poor people?

YNZ should change their name to NZ Olympic YAchting T (thus not raising expectations that they have no intention to deliver) and let the rest of us have an organisation that is committed to meeting our needs. I am involved at various levels in other sports and while it is always easy to slag off the national body I don't think there is another national body that is held in such low esteem as YNZ is at the grass roots level. Their only interest is to meet the imperatives of their funding base (SPARC) and chase medals, because their funding is limited they are forced to pick winners and put their resources into a very narrow field. It is a shame that they have shown no interest is seeking an alternative funding base to support the grass roots of our sport.

...enough for the superyacht contingent to be able to enjoy Mansion House what about us poor people?

Marshy. you are 100% right and i would have like to have seen SPARC reject the YNZ funding demand, after last years Olympic Failure, and just given Boarsailing some Dosh!

Imagine how hard the likes Of Brennan and Co @YNZ would have to work if they had no sparc funding and all the other yacht clubs in NZ stopped paying thier membership levi's (as the MAna Cruising Club did a few years ago)!

They would really have to listen to the clubs and sailors and reject the "denial" mode that they have been in.

It is very obvious that they work with very poor information, or ignore the facts, when "we" see the state of the sport and the membership / sailing /regatta / new boat building reductions yet they cannot see it !

This mob are charged with the growth and development of NZ yachting!

When are we going to se the growth and development?

They keep taking the BUCKS but i see no "BANG"

There needs to be some focus in NZ on the club sailor, and especially promoting keelboat sailing for the family as well as all other classes, and as a life pastime. Plus a promotion of sailing at competitive club level to keep young people in the sport. We have people go through youth schemes and if they are not in the top percentage of sailors with a professional future, they drop off, and then don't come back to the sport till later in life. Promotion of the sport as part of our culture that everyone can be involved in.

The corinthian racing of sail what you have and enjoy it is what needs to be promoted. Interesting to see how major events around the world have changed, and the need to have bigger and new yachts to be able to even enter in some cases.

Clubs and the yachting public need to promote getting boats racing, and people sailing. Yachts taking part in club events, especially regattas. Make it affordable for eveyone. The more people are involved the more they will look to take part in one or two other events a year. eg RNI other major regattas.

We need some leadership from KORC and YNZ regarding the safety regulations. This is currently in most peoples eyes the biggest hinderance to the sport being affordable. There seems to be very little dialogue from them on why and where the changes are, and where the safety regulations are heading. Currently the safety regulations are a moving target. Everytime I talk to the safety inspector regarding an event I would like to do next year, I am faced with changes to the regulations. This is getting to the why bother stage now.

Overall we need to make and promote our sport as easy, open and affordable to everyone. We need to push YNZ, MNZ and all clubs and other bodies to help us with this.

Archived