Auckland Plan: Harbour plan makes more room for boats and bo

rigger

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10753760

Building a third Viaduct Basin to accommodate a growing fleet of fishing boats and yachts is among 40 projects included in the draft waterfront plan.

Extending the Halsey St Wharf further past the end of Princes Wharf is one of the bolder ideas to emerge in the 30-year plan being developed alongside the Auckland Plan and the city centre masterplan.

Another uncosted "aspirational" project is to create an island off Westhaven Marina, built from dredgings, around which people could live on boats.

WA20newPlaces.jpg

I looked at the draft waterfront plan and wondered what drugs the authors were on and where could i get them.

There seems to be a mania for filling in bits of the harbour, for example the extension to the halsey street wharf and the artists commune planed for the outer reaches of westhaven.

And this is on top of POAL's long term plan to reclaim the area between fergusson wharves and the bledisloe terminal.

if all of these plans come to fruitition the waitemata will become a muddy creek.

Hmmm- So I wonder what will become of low cost boat berthage without piles at westhaven.....

All the old Mooring areas have been ruined by fast ferrys and the number of other motor boats caning up and down the harbour.

Having a mooring could become more popular in the future?

Archived