You never know

Fogg

Saildrive leg seals. The big ones that need replacing every 7-10 yrs (estimates vary but insurers are known to favour 7 yrs otherwise expect a tough time if they fail and you've exceeded this). But on the other hand I've heard them still going strong after twice that time.

A friend just replaced his after 12 yrs and was glad that he did - it was well worn down. I hadn't touched mine since buying AC 7 yrs ago and suspected it was the original, making it up to 17yrs old - so time to bite the bullet.

Well, it has provisionally gone smoothly (engine removed from mounts, saildrive leg extracted etc) and the new seals are in. But I say provisionally because I haven't yet relaunched to confirm the new seals don't leak.

But interesting thing is that the two 'old' seals now sitting in the boot of my car look perfectly fine. Sure, a couple of marks here and there, but they essentially look solid and strong and as a good as new. So god knows how much longer they might have lasted.

So nothing new really new learned from this other than the 7yr insurance 'rule' is probably highly cautious and 10yrs is probably still safe unless you've abused your saildrive e.g. accidently positioned the crane strops underneath it and lifted the boat - as I've seen a couple of times.

Anyway, the new ones are date stamped and if I still own AC in 7yrs time I'll probably repalce them again then, just for peace of mind.

The expensive parts were the 2 major diaphragms $590 + $280 = $870. Then the usual other bits for a normal saildrive leg service (o rings, oil etc).

It requires removal of the saildrive leg which in turn requires releasing the engine from it's mounts and disconnecting several major systems.

For an engineer familiar with the process it takes 6-8 hours all up, so cost depends on whether you can do it yourself or whether (like me) you need to pay someone else to do it for you at the going rate typically $80-90 / hr.

So for me, I'm looking at total cost of about $2k based on around $1k parts, ~$700 labour + GST etc. But that should be it for another 7-10 yrs and it is date stamped so any potential new buyer of AC will know how long they have before incurring this cost again.

Yeah I wonder too. It's years since I had a shaft drive and when I did it never needed a major overhaul, just a bit of grease now and again. But presumably there is a big service point for them too?

More expensive than a shaft, but there are some major benifits also, mostly in the installation. Being able to keep the engine well aft, especially in a flat'ish hull etc. There should also be no prop walk due to the horizontal shaft.

Just replaced my seals and thrust bearings in my shaft installation last year.
I like shaft drive
But you still get transverse thrust
....I love my shaft drive....bone dry and no vibation ! :D

This thread is starting to look like people are just pinching excerpts from a Mills N Boon 'Adult Edition'.

Mills and Boon? Whats that some sort of winch?

G'day It's a forward lower wench, multi-speed, bi-directional top-loading handle, is it not; thought you'd have known that. Ciao. james

Archived