Repower Lombardini??

candela

Hi,

I am looking at repowering my Whiting 29. We have looked at most of the options and are looking at the Lombardini saildrive.

Has anyone got good or bad things to say about them??

Interested to hear anything I have not managed to find any talk about them online and dont want to spent that much money without hearing something.

We currently have a Volvo sail drive so we are going to have to change the bed out but its still working out a lot cheaper to do that then stay with Volvo. I know Volvo are a good motors but they are expensive, heavy and we have found the parts to be very expensive. It is going to be a few thousand cheaper to change the bed then to stay with Volvo.

I repowered with a beta marine engine but retained the Volvo sail drive and the original engine bed. The beta came with a bell housing that bolted straight onto the sail drive and the engine came with mounts that bolted straight into the Volvo engine bed. it made for a very easy install!

I looked at lombardini and Nanni too but the install costs were all going to be higher as well as a higher purchase price.

:lol: :lol: And they think an arms war is only a AC thing.

In 2 or 3 years we'll have both a Maunder and W29 weighing in at 975kg and using TP52 rigs with 1.75mm halyards :lol:

80kg... holy shite that massive. Surely knot that much difference is there?

In the Volvo hand book it says that the complete unit is 200kg ish dry( I can't remember the exact number) and the Lombardini is 124kg ish.

It will be interesting to see what moving that kind of weight does to the boat.

In 2 or 3 years we'll have both a Maunder and W29 weighing in at 975kg and using TP52 rigs with 1.75mm halyards

2 years KM??? You told me you had the new rig coming for me :D :D

Knot quite but I do know a similar size boat has talked to someone about a carbon rig. I suspect the Minster in charge of Profit Disbursement and Shoe Acquisitions, may squash that idea though. But then he did say he was allowed to buy more boat stuff and she had brought $10 worth of plants. How he translated that into a 'I can now buy a carbon mast' I have no idea but you've gotta give him points for trying :) :)

We've got a 2 metre carbon prod on the front of Airship (Ross930).

I reckon it's conservative...

You could probably got to 3 or maybe even 3.5 metres on the front of a Whiting 29.

Those little Beta/Kubota engines can do some serious hours. We had a few in Kubota B2200 4wd tractors in the late 80's and 90's, one had done 15,000 hours and was still running sweet. As tractor power units they never ever gave a problem.

Those little Beta/Kubota engines can do some serious hours. We had a few in Kubota B2200 4wd tractors in the late 80's and 90's, one had done 15,000 hours and was still running sweet. As tractor power units they never ever gave a problem.

And knowing tractors, they would get a far harder life ( shock loading, stalling under load, etc ) than in a boat. Possibly running at far higher revs and with challenging cooling situations also.

In larger boats, I have heard brilliant things of John Deere motors - admittedly they are not ground up marine designs, but they are industrial engines, designed for max power at low RPM, and to do extended hours. I use all JD tractors, and the engines are simply stunningly reliable, robust and forgiving of abuse. Price? I believe that an 85HP JD marine motor is around $19K. Thats not a huge amount more than your Beta/Volvo/Yanmar motors, although probably weight is probably 1/2 heavier again. Suited for heavy displacement yachts, not racers!

I reckon while you are planning your modifications arms/race in the highly charged Whiting 29 competitive environment you should crouch, pause, and think before engaging...

...the TP52 rig, and the carbon prod, yes I can see how they might give positive performance gains. The stern mounted John Deere circular plow arrangement or post hole borer, or bow mounted Gallagher's hay bailer... they might actually slow you down a bit, I think.

It's a balancing act all this tractor technology...

Archived