A couple of Green Sailors looking for advice.

Hi,

Im currently work as a hiking/biking/rafting guide in the Grand Canyon and the Southwest US with my wife. Have been for 6 years. Not a lot of sailing opportunities in the desert. We want to learn how to sail this winter(Jan, Feb, Mar) in New Zealand and then hopefully set out on our own adventures in the S. Pacific. What courses should I take and where should I take them? Is anybody out there looking for two young Americans they want to teach how to sail in exchange for fabulous cooking, witty conversation, and tall tales of the American Southwest?

Eager to learn,

Nick and Joy

My yacht club (The Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club) in Wellington, New Zealand, has a sailing academy which runs a full range of learn to sail courses. See the Academy tab at the RPNYC website for full details. The range of courses offered include basic sailing, crewing, skippering, navigation, safety and advanced sea survival, cruising. They start from day sails on the harbour and go right up through Royal Yachting Association certification.

I know a number of people who have been through the RPNYC academy who speak of it in glowing terms. A number of our racing fleet skippers have gone from having never sailed at all, through to owning their own boats now and racing and cruising them, all via the academy.

If Wellington is in your plans (it's a great city if you ask me) I would highly recommend the RPNYC Academy.

There's a lot of people on crew.org.nz that are from Auckland. I was too until 2 1/2 years ago. The sailing in Auckland is great - it's one of the best places in the world to go sailing... but they're a bit soft up there mate. When they get gusts of 30+ knots masts fall down. If you come down here you'll learn to handle the full range of weather (it sometimes gets a bit breezy in Wellington) and you'll then be set to sail absolutely anywhere.

(please note - a large portion of that last paragraph was worded to wind the Jafas up. All good fun.)

My yacht club (The Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club) in Wellington, New Zealand, has a sailing academy which runs a full range of learn to sail courses. See the Academy tab at the RPNYC website for full details. The range of courses offered include basic sailing, crewing, skippering, navigation, safety and advanced sea survival, cruising. They start from day sails on the harbour and go right up through Royal Yachting Association certification.

I know a number of people who have been through the RPNYC academy who speak of it in glowing terms. A number of our racing fleet skippers have gone from having never sailed at all, through to owning their own boats now and racing and cruising them, all via the academy.

If Wellington is in your plans (it's a great city if you ask me) I would highly recommend the RPNYC Academy.

There's a lot of people on crew.org.nz that are from Auckland. I was too until 2 1/2 years ago. The sailing in Auckland is great - it's one of the best places in the world to go sailing... but they're a bit soft up there mate. When they get gusts of 30+ knots masts fall down. If you come down here you'll learn to handle the full range of weather (it sometimes gets a bit breezy in Wellington) and you'll then be set to sail absolutely anywhere.

(please note - a large portion of that last paragraph was worded to wind the Jafas up. All good fun.)

Hi kiwi_bardy, is this RPNYC usable for regattas all over the word? The reason I ask is that I'm hoping to get some licenses for sailing that is usable all over the word, or usable in China as well. Some regatta would request you to have a licenses while I do not have one. And I'm thinking if it is possible that I can work for some club to exchange the course and license, something like that. Sorry if my questions sound too stupid...

My yacht club (The Royal Port Nicholson Yacht Club) in Wellington, )[/size]

I should be in Wellington in December this year, while my friends are going to sail all around the world and they will stop by Wellington in December since Wellington and Xiamen are so called "friend city", they are leaving Xiamen China beginning of this Nov..

Thanks if there is any opportunities sailing related that I can get involved, I would be really appreciated.

Sorry, Nick and Joy, hope you don't mind I'm asking about this here, because of just saw bardy's reply here.

By the way, I used to do a lot of hiking in the past 9 years before I got sailing addict. :wink:

Yeah, the RPNYC suite of courses include RYA certification which is recognised internationally.

Some of the stuff is (i think) NZ specific, but Matt Wood at the academy can answer questions about international transferability etc. His contact details (email and phone) are available on the www.rpnyc.org.nz website here.

Yeah - unfortunately there is no single qualification that works all around the world. RYA is the world’s most recognised and is useful throughout most of Europe and the UK. We are an RYA powerboat school only. We are also now able to offer ICC certificates, which are becoming more and more popular around Europe.

Our practical sailing courses are from Yachting New Zealand's national sailing scheme and are really only useful for proving sea time and experience when overseas.

I would stress that almost every company that charters vessels around the world is different - in some case's our YNZ qualifications do work. The key thing is checking out the requirements of any company you are looking to use.

Cheers

Matt

Archived