Ship hit Astrolabe Reef, Tauranga

Grinna

"An aerial flight this morning has identified a light oil sheen on the surface ..."

An aerial flight????? What other type of flight is there? Top class journalism!!! :clap: :roll:

No :!: :!:

There is LOW LEVEL flying and then underneath that is

RECKLESS flying followed a few seconds later by

LANDING or OH ^^%$$^^#$%^#@#%%%$ :lol:

That's gotta be a significant CLM for the Captain (assuming they didn't have a pilot on board yet that far out, but if they did, for the pilot).

Not a good thing to have on your CV.

Too far out for the pilot to be on board, even for a bigger boat like that.

Blowing 20kn now straight on shore to my place.

How heavy is fuel oil?

I assume it will dissapate over 11 miles.......

It's pretty well stuck.

If they want to take off some of the containers they will have some fun as there aren't many, if any floating cranes that can go along side.

And we a short a few barges which will be needed to cart them into Tauranga.

Is rigger up and running down there yet??

The Ships has some major Hull damage and she has taken on water. The oil is hydraulic fluid. Just how that leaked i am not sure. They seem to think the 700tonnes of Fuel oil is OK. But the Ship is very hard and fast I I think the only way they are going to get her off is to unload a fair amount of cargo.

This Ship does a weekly cycle -Napier, Tauranga, Brisbane (I don't know where else if there are other ports), so it is not as if the crew doesn't know the area, unless it is new crew perhaps.

they were in Wellington last week too.

I think it is actually 1500 tonnes of fuel oil, but those tanks are higher up so should be fine....at the moment.

No offense to the great toys the Rigger plays on but I think they will be wanting something a bit larger than that, and the list of tugs like that in NZ is pretty short (one as far as i know) so look out for a stampede of horsepower from across the Tasman. Unless Smithy drives home from work instead of flying next time....

The other alternative would be get a whole gang of NZ harbour tugs and everyone pull together, 1,2,3 HEAVY!

Removing cargo could also be a challenge, again a lack of resources here for the once or twice decade they are really needed.

Which leads back to the Tim the Toolman approach.... MORE POWER

of course a well placed offshore storm sending the right sized swell in the right direction could help a lot too

whatever happens its going to be interesting to watch, and i really hope those fuel tanks stay intact.

Just got home from work.

I have heard a fair bit about it all as I was in the office his morning :shh:

A good number of yachts out on the water this evening, frenzy was looking good from where I was sitting :)

Don't know what happened here but easy to get slack with GPS. My experience is that zoomed out a lot of detail eg dangerous rocks are not visible on the plotter. We were sailing from Cape Brett to Gt Barrier and came close to Simpsons rock off Mokes just after dark. Luckily I zoomed in just in time. Should have been checking the paper charts !

I may not be correct here, but I don't think these big ships navigate with GPS, or GPS alone. I am pretty sure they have to plot everything out onto a paper chart.

Depends on the ship and its equipment, some of the newer ones now have have official electronic charts that are considered 'paper equivalent' of course there is still depth sounder, radar etc to assist them in navigation as well.

at 22 years old this ship may still have been using paper charts, depends a bit on how generous the accountant is :lol:

Rigger will know more about this than me, but every time I've been on the bridge of a commercial ship similar to this there are both paper charts and gps based chart plotters.

I think you will also find a voyage plan on the bridge which details the courses to be sailed on a voyage, the estimated time and place of course changes. The there is the lo which should set out a history of the voyage etc.

Archived