Ship hit Astrolabe Reef, Tauranga

Grinna

Went out for a look today and it is a hive of inactivity.

A few MNZ boats in the marina but they look pretty small.

A Navy patrol boat and perhaps a dive tender? alongside at the Mount as well.

I saw a couple of big fenders, chain wrapped, about 6m long by 3m diameter heading this way by truck yesterday.

I understand the delays in rounding up the equipment required but it is really sad to see this good weather slipping by.

Our nations leader is out for a look tomorrow I understand.

Scallops in great nick at Motiti though.

Yeah sorry Grant, I try not to be an armchair Admiral, but this situation easily brings out the panic when we don't understand. Plus it doesn't help when the Media throw in wrong info also.

definitely wasn't singling you out, and besides your comments are pretty sensible and reasonable, unlike some of the rubbish floating around.

Trying to win the media battle is always an issue.

Part of the problem is we don't have enough of these..... if this was an annual occurrence there would be justification for $20+m worth of tugs, barges etc lying around with full crews playing cards waiting for the next job, I think we are better off with fewer accidents....

Grant don't you think all the conjecture floating around is due to the lack of any real information coming from authorities, this is a pristine area of coast and there are plenty of people who are very concerned about what is happening out there that fact that it will be 5 days before anything will happen is shameful.

Grant don't you think all the conjecture floating around is due to the lack of any real information coming from authorities, this is a pristine area of coast and there are plenty of people who are very concerned about what is happening out there that fact that it will be 5 days before anything will happen is shameful.

yep definitely a factor! i am definitely not trying to say this is a perfect response, and for any major incident of this type getting the message out is a problem.

The truth of the situation will lie in between the conjecture and the official word, from what i have seen (& I haven't seen all the medai coverage) i feel that MNZ etc should be pushing what is happening more, I thought one news tonight was starting to get on the right track actually being able to show some gear and guys in overalls, pity it is still dry but i understand that is first job tomorrow.

Personally i would have thought some steps should have been put in motion sooner. Trucking a whole heap of stuff to the port and then only using half of it is a better option than not having the stuff you need at the time it would be most use.

I see the bunker barge will now be there tomorrow not Monday so that is definitely a move in the right direction.

I agree about the local concerns, if they lose even half of that oil it is going to a huge mess, and again you are right about getting the comms right might help ally that. Unfortunate truth is if they don't get the oil out of the ship it is going to get messy, very messy.

Hell I could be as wrong as it gets, you read this http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/sp ... pabilities

and I start to think i'm defending the undefendable. Only thing is I know a lot of the people involved and they will not be sitting on their hands doing nothing, just hoping they are on the right track...

Hey that's good news about the barge I heard the oil leak has slowed lets hope the pumping operation can still go ahead with the bigger swells forecast.

Have a race on tomorrow outside the harbour so hope we don't get back with black streaks all down the hull.

hope we don't get back with black streaks all down the hull.

DO NOT get it on your hull!

I was talking to an engineer this morning that works with fuel oil much lighter than that, he found the best stuff to clean it off his hands was lube oil :shock:

Think of it like having to clean road tar of the car in summer :thumbdown:

Not really in the job description.

I'm currently getting to know how things work and gettting 'signed off' on one of the tugs here.

Cannot give out information much, but things in the public domain I can pass on - like Marine traffic

I'll be fairly quiet for the next few months a there is a lot for me to adapt to here.

Yes great stuff but every thing disappears when it gets around the East Cape the reappears when it gets near Napier.

Hmmm, "the darkside", "the Deadzone", our "Devils Sea", Our "Burmuda Triangle".

Happy to get corrected about this but I think shipping , through the net, report the various details of other shipping but not enough ships in our area for this to work. No shore stations here.

More here http://sunlive.co.nz/news/17236-oil-washes-up-on-mount-main-beach.html

Just the beginning I'm afraid, the wind is forecast to start going west again on Thursday but it is only a matter of time before it gets into the harbour and we are seemingly helpless to do anything about it.

A very bad look with all the overseas vistors here at the moment. :thumbdown:

After watching the news and other news type programes tonight, I think the story between the lines is that this Ship is not coming off (by Human means anyway). That it is likely going to eventually break up and that oil on the Beach is something Bay of plenty people are just going to have to get used to. Which is not going to go down well for summer.

I just hope the ship stays together druing this nasty stuff coming. They are talking a possible of 4m seas later in the week.

Happy to get corrected about this but I think shipping , through the net, report the various details of other shipping but not enough ships in our area for this to work. No shore stations here.

As far as I know most of the data on MarineTraffic.com comes via shore stations - that data comes from the ships own AIS units

As far as I know most of the data on MarineTraffic.com comes via shore stations - that data comes from the ships own AIS units

Hey Rigger

That's correct, usually from amateur AIS receiver, there pretty easy to setup with a AIS receiver or the right type of radio and a PC.

Thats why their is a dead zone there, nobody has set one up.

SHANE

Archived