Ship hit Astrolabe Reef, Tauranga

Grinna

Since I'm planning an east coast cruise in Bintang over the next month or so I'm watching out for

news of containers - lost overboard, recovered, or missing.

The last report I saw (a couople of weeks ago, was salutary

Ninety-eight containers had fallen overboard prior to the wreck breaking in half and an estimated 150 fell after the split.

To date, Braemar Howell has recovered 65 of the containers lost from the water and shoreline.

Also now see reports of foodstuffs ex Rena washing up near Gisborne!

Anyone got more up to date information?

Might be worth sending a PM to Willow or others in Tauranga.

The official counts always seem to include a pretty generous "unknown" element, which is clearly a bit more important to those who are trying not to come into contact with even a single one of them. :wtf:

I heard yesterday that they had removed a Container full of Mussels. Hmmm, Mussels sitting for 5 months in a container. I wonder if the container walked off the ship and swam itself to shore?? :problem:

Interesting that the guilty pleas in Tauranga today are reported on-line by stuff.co.nz, DominionPost and even on the front page of the Guardian newspaper website in the UK - but nothing - not a sausage - on the NZ Herald website that I can find. Why does Auckland put up with having the equivalent of the "News of the World" rubbish paper as its main newspaper?

edit: I just found it right down near the bottom.

Why does Auckland put up with having the equivalent of the "News of the World" rubbish paper as its main newspaper?

Wishfull thinking. If only NZ Herald was as good as the NOTW at least we'd get some hard-hitting stories and investigative journalism that struck fear into the hearts of public servants - and kept them honest.

Instead we get journalism with less drive than a one-legged slug.

Instead we get journalism with less drive than a one-legged slug.

Come on!!! We get the best journalistic content that could lazily be derived from Wikipedia, Google and Ask Jeeves. :lol:

You guys are very hard on Granny. I mean to say, Whalerider left doggy poo on her rented apartments carpet and big jurassic things had big fleas. You can't beat that for news.

Did you read the article in the Herald about Auckland Council's plan to raise their debt limit from 175% of annual revenue to 275%? Probably not, since afaik they haven't published one. I guess it's not newsworthy. More here if you're interested.

latest tug and barge that will work on the Rena removal arrived today.

Apparently no New Zealanders will be employeed on the tug as according to the owners there are no New Zealanders qualified to drive the 36 year old tug.

2012_09_12, .jpg

Will need to in a few years due to some changes.

Almost ended up on a similar tug to that one but the company laid it up permanantly for some reason... ended up working in a ship yard on new builds for awhile.

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/news/medi ... 21002a.asp

2 October 2012

The New Zealand Government and Daina Shipping Company (owner of the MV Rena) have reached a comprehensive financial settlement in respect of matters arising from the ship's grounding on 5 October 2011.

Keith Manch, Director of Maritime New Zealand, confirmed that Daina Shipping Company will pay $27.6 million to settle the claims of the Crown and public bodies including Maritime NZ, Bay of Plenty District Health Board, Environmental Protection Agency, the Minister of Local Government (signing as the territorial authority for Motiti island), and the New Zealand Transport Agency.

"This was a very complex negotiation given the range of issues and parties involved, and represents a good outcome for New Zealanders," said Mr Manch. "As with any settlement it is about finding a solution that both sides can live with, and I would like to acknowledge the constructive approach taken by Daina Shipping Company and their continuing commitment to meet their obligations under New Zealand law."

The settlement also recognises that Daina Shipping Company and The Swedish Club (the Rena's insurers) are currently investigating the environmental, social, cultural and economic impacts of different options for dealing with the wreck. In the event that they decide to apply for, are granted, and use a resource consent to leave part of the wreck in place, Daina Shipping Company will make an additional payment of $10.4 million to the Crown, reflecting their reduced salvage costs.

Konstantinos Zacharatos, on behalf of Daina Shipping Company, said: "We have always sought to work closely with the New Zealand authorities to address all aspects of this serious incident. This settlement is a vital step forward in our progressive resolution of all the issues, and I want to thank the New Zealand authorities for all of their work that has gone into achieving this outcome."

Honestly Wheels I do not know.

Just looking at a few things:

- The salvor paid for the Awanuia, Go Canopus, Wakakume, sea tow 60, PB Katea, SMit Borneo, tug Singapore.... and possibly a few more.

- Not sure who is paying Braemar Howells/Unimar in regards to beach / island clean up

- I guess the cost of the Navy assets involved will be included under what the taxpayer pays for.

Some of the figures I have heard are stupidly high and probably included an estimate of what the Salvor / Owner has been paying for already.

It would be good to see an accurate report of Govt expenses rellating to Rena.

It would be good to see an accurate report of money spent in NZ by Salvors / Rena owners.

Archived