Ship hit Astrolabe Reef, Tauranga

Grinna

After watching the news and other news type programes tonight, I think the story between the lines is that this Ship is not coming off (by Human means anyway). That it is likely going to eventually break up and that oil on the Beach is something Bay of plenty people are just going to have to get used to. Which is not going to go down well for summer.

I just hope the ship stays together druing this nasty stuff coming. They are talking a possible of 4m seas later in the week.

I hope you are wrong wheels, about the oil on the beaches part anyway pretty obvious the ship isn't going anywhere.

But just have to put up with it isn't going to cut it put the bloody captain and crew in jail until they work out who is responsible (thought the captain was ultimately responsible anyway, at least that's what we get told). I thought these guys were insured? the insurance company has to pay to get it cleaned up that's how insurance works doesn't it?

Getting tired of insurance guys they take the risk and then when it doesn't work out in their favour they just put everyone's premiums up to cover their costs there is a word for that isn't there? .........oh yeah assholes

Any punts on what actually went wrong.

How about forgot to turn left at designated waypoint?

Insurance will be interesting. I expect a lot of the insurance for this to be offshore depending on the buyers terms in their purchase contracts. The salvors will present MSC with a nice bill for the "salvage" and MSC will in turn declare a General Average, whereby all costs will be met by all parties in the journey ie most of the bill will go to the cargo owners. All of this of course is months and years away, my interest is in what they intend to do after pumpng the bunker out and actually salvaging.

There must be some frayed nerves on that ship tonight.

whereby all costs will be met by all parties in the journey ie most of the bill will go to the cargo owners.

Yes, was talking to someone in the freight forwarding industry who said that the fine print in the cargo agreement ensures that the person shipping the goods is liable for their share of damages. It would be a bugger if someone was having something shipped up from down south & didn't get full insurance!!

I hope you are wrong wheels,

Me too.

put the bloody captain and crew in jail

They kind of are. They are stuck on a ship with a permanent 11deg list.

I thought these guys were insured?

Like most companies, there is a limit to liability. Don't know how many million that is, but there is a limit.

I am getting tired of the constant ambulance at the bottom of the Hill mentality that Gvt and Insurance and Industry in NZ seems to have. It is all based on risk versus money. They all seem to be playing a game of Lotto or chance, instead of looking at the worse case scenario, which at some time is going to happen and thus have all that is needed to controll such a Catastrophy ready to go. We have an oil industry in NZ, we have Coastal shipping in some of the worst waters in the world, it is not hard to imagine that at some point in the future, this kind of thing is going to happen. The best oportunity of containing that oil was missed. Booms should have been placed around that ship and in the path of the Oil right at the beginning. It would at the least, buy time before the weather turns bad and maybe another means of collecting that oil could be created. Instead they just let it go with the attitude, it's going to happen deal with it. Well sorry Gvt, people in NZ are starting to stand up and say, "we are sick of having to just deal with it" We expect more of out Gvt. (and this is not aimed at a Political party, because they are all the same, but aimed at thoise that are elected to do a job and make the decisions on our behalf)

The worst case scenario could happen. They already have caps ready to seal off the Tanks incase the Ships starts to break up. So the worst case is the shipping breaking up and the two halves going down into that deep water and takeing the oil with it. Then we have a major, because at sometime, that oil is going to get out. Either slowly and continually, or all at once if the Hull fails in the future. Think about Peral harbour. Oil still leaks from some of those ships today.

Spot on Wheels, our elected officials are useless, while not the human tragedy of Pike River there seemed to be the same sitting on hands waiting to make sure they weren't going to be held accountable, these guys need to grow a pair and step up when these things happen get it done! Don't wait, act!

Re insurance payouts I believe the Exxon Valdeez fiasco still hasn't been completely settled, and thiis is 20 plus years later! Great if you are a lawyer, but if you were a fisherman or someone similarly affected you were sh*t out of luck!

Why would elected officials be involved? I figure somewhere in each indusry there are people employed to deal with such matters. Do you seriously think elected officials would have the necessary skillset?

There has been a breach of the hull at forrard of amidships.

The crew has been pulled off.

The outlook is not pretty, at all.

The words "total constructive loss" spring to mind.

this is geeting uglier by the hour...

Correct.

From Stuff.co.nz:

Hundreds of tonnes more oil has poured from the Rena off Tauranga as high seas forced the evacuation of the crew.

The crew were evacuated from the stricken ship by helicopter following a mayday call, as 3m swells pound the Tauranga coast.

As much as 350 tonnes of oil had escaped the ship this morning after it shifted in big seas overnight and crushed part of the reef it was stuck on.

I'm not an expert in this field, but on a scale of one to ten I reckon it's fcuked.

I imagine they would have to have everything documented and by the book for the court Hearing, so to abandon ship, they would have to give a Mayday Time. I assume anyway.

This little story related to the ship is hardcase though. A Marlborough winery has 4000 cases of Sav wine onboard, at a value of $800K. Get this, the Label of the wine is "Astrolabe". How freaky is that.

Archived