Ship hit Astrolabe Reef, Tauranga

Grinna

Is there or should there be a lighted marker (or maybe a lighthouse) on the reef? look like it is just in the middle of the ocean. I suppose the reef is well marked now!

Yes this sort of thing is what very early on coined the phrase "gps assisted groundings". I feel for the people of BoP.

its is possible that they didn't have this level of technology on board.....

as to the 'insurance scam' theory, a ship like that would be quick and easy to cut up for scrap, way better option for the owner they trying to slide something smelly past their P&I Club.

I haven't seen the specific of the deficiency list for this one but having a list of "must fix in xx months" is pretty common. If the faults are too glaring, like bow fell off or "why does that lifeboat have holes in it?", they tend to detain them in port until its fixed. Some of the deficiencies can be seriously minor too, like couldn't find the record of when the toilet was last cleaned....

In the case of a fishing boat one good detention order is usually the end of the boat every moving again, but that's another story...

There was a list of things needing to be fremedied, made at various Ports as part of normal operation. The "bad" chart was for China and not related to NZ. Other issues were minor and just normal occurances for shipping.

Just got an email

"Tauranga Bridge Marina Limited have requested that in the event of oil entering Tauranga Harbour that oil spill equipment be available for deployment to protect all boats in the marina.

Should the Regional Council and Maritime New Zealand oil spill response team be over whelmed with demand, we are also looking at other options.

You should now start looking at your options to protect your vessel which may include:

Lifting your boat out of the water.

Taking your boat out of the area.

Purchasing oil spill booms to encapsulate your boat in your berth.

We cannot advise you which of these options works best for you personally but it’s time to start thinking about it."

Just got an email

"Tauranga Bridge Marina Limited have requested that in the event of oil entering Tauranga Harbour that oil spill equipment be available for deployment to protect all boats in the marina.

Should the Regional Council and Maritime New Zealand oil spill response team be over whelmed with demand, we are also looking at other options.

You should now start looking at your options to protect your vessel which may include:

We cannot advise you which of these options works best for you personally but it’s time to start thinking about it."

and the following e-mail .... "marina increase boat lifting and storage charges..." no?

I can take a guess at which option would work best, I don't think its the second 2.

It is not actually a Greek Ship. It is Greek Port registered. It is owned by a Jewish company, although both Brothers that founded the company are now dead.

It is Greek owned and operated:-

COSTAMARE SHIPPING COMPANY S.A.

60, Zephyrou Street & Syngrou Avenue

17564 Athens, Greece

But registered in Liberia

Ummm, 2 to 3 Thousand containers of 20 and 40 tonne. You ain't going to drag anything off a rock once you stack that much on.

A big lift crane left Oz yesterday. They reckon it will be here Wednesday, although that would make it one hell of a fast ship.

Don't need to drag the other one off. Just get the containers off the leaking ship and get that off. The main priority is to stop the oil leak. The other ship will be completely drained of oil as not to leak anywhere so who cares how long it as to sit out there after that. Just an idea.

Local hotels had bugger all business during the RWC but now that some prick parked a boat on a brick no accommodation in Tauranga. Found one place and had go get a full unit so at least it's helping some of the locals.

Wind is forecast to go East tomorrow so only a matter of time before oil is brought in on the tide, gut wrenching and infuriating at the same time, I grew up sailing on this harbour and to see this happening just outrages me. Just a shame. :(

Tauranga Harbour & Matakana Island_lg.jpg

croppedimage310233-Tauranga-Moana.jpg

Ummm, how many boats in Tauranga?

Taking boat out of area in 5m seas and 30kt winds??

Ever tried purchasing an oil boom???

I think they are stuck between a rock and an Oil spill.

It is not actually a Greek Ship. It is Greek Port registered. It is owned by a Jewish company, although both Brothers that founded the company are now dead.

Yep sorry David, I ahd that wrong, but if you read my post further down, I have all the correct details.

All the containers of Chemicals are of low risk as long as the Chemicals remain contained. Pollution iof them in concentration would be the biggest fear, but the containers should hold it all. If the Chemicals all got to mix together, then that could be interesting. Ferrosilica is not harmful on it's own. It releases a very small amount of Hydrogen very slowly if it gets wet. But if it comes into contact with a strong Alkaline, then it violently reacts and gives of huge quantities of Hydrogen. It used to be used a long time ago to quickly fill Balloons with hydrogen.

We can stop worrying about how they're going to get the containers off:

LATEST: Seventy containers have fallen off the striken ship Rena, which is gushing oil off the Tauranga coast.

Some containers lost now.

I wonder if the plan is to hope not too much danage till tomorrow?Then let the wind go to the west and blow the oil to Chile? In reality there doesn't seem to be much else to do.

Archived