Ship hit Astrolabe Reef, Tauranga

Grinna

Thats as ugly as finelines remarks. Aussies are the first to send help with anything that happens here and we get negative comments continually from dead ugly fat politicians and people like fineline. That comment dosen't show a lot of grace and zero intelligence fineline.

Slightly different aspect to ponder.

Do we need a Poll?

Will the novelty value of Astrolabe WINE increase now that that wine has actually HIT Astrolabe REEF :?:

OR

Will the value drop because of possible water damage :?:

OR

Will the value remain the same because of screw caps :?:

OR

Will the insurers be selling it all off cheap as a "Bad Job Lot" :?:

OR

Should Astrolabe WINES double production immediately :?:

OR

Should we have a party soon to test taste any samples soon to be washed ashore :?:

Perhaps I have left a few options out :?:

Thats as ugly as finelines remarks. Aussies are the first to send help with anything that happens here and we get negative comments continually from dead ugly fat politicians and people like fineline. That comment dosen't show a lot of grace and zero intelligence fineline.

Bbay I think you are taking that a bit seriously. Its simply a reference to a Robert Muldoon quote for those that remember it. Muldoon was an ugly fat politician and is now also dead so you are quite correct. Personally I don't think I fall into the same bracket but if you think you can judge me from one quote pasted into an internet forum then go right ahead.

For your reference:

"When questioned about increased levels of emigration from New Zealand to Australia, Muldoon responded that these migrants "raised the average IQ of both countries". It appears this line was taken from a Tom Scott article published in the New Zealand Listener some months earlier.[16] However the origin of the line goes back even further, to American humorist and actor Will Rogers, see Will Rogers phenomenon."

Now... back to the topic please.

Do we need a Poll?

Will the novelty value of Astrolabe WINE increase now that that wine has actually HIT Astrolabe REEF :?:

OR

OR

OR

OR

OR

Should we have a party soon to test taste any samples soon to be washed ashore :?:

How about Astrolabe" The Reef Special" vintage '11

How about Astrolabe" The Reef Special" vintage '11

Tasting notes might include the following:

Publicly anticipated this wine struggles to deliver. With an overtone of hydrocarbons on the nose, this wine makes an impact, though experts continue to debate best handling procedures. Should cellar well, though shipments of this wine are now difficult to obtain through normal outlets although should be widely available throughout the Bay of Plenty region.

Do we need a Poll?

OR

OR

OR

OR

OR

You left out:

"Captian, that was the last of the Astrolabe."

"It's okay son, theres some more marked right here on the chart!"

In your worst drunken sailor accent of course!

Found a bird stuck in some oil near home, called the wildlife response hotline waited for 2 hours and no-one came so dug it out and took it to the Vet who cleaned it up, so much for the Army of experts on standby, man it is sticky horrible stuff.

Good on you Willow. Common sense prevails.

I really feel for you guys in Tauranga/The Mount area. When I've watched these things overseas, I've sat there and said how awful it is etc, probably much like other people have. But it is somehow distant and unreal. It's closer to home and now I feel awful about it yet I'm not actually there and my day to day life will largely be unaffected by it. But my friends in Tauranga will be very much affected by it. I wonder what us ordinary people can do to help. The authorities are saying stay away, but what should we (meaning anyone) do?

My thoughts are with you BoP folk.

The Capt has been "hidden away" because there have been threats made.

Talking to several around the country, there is a HQ Holden and/or a Monaro in a container going to Perth. A local has three containers of stock arrived, but all the Shelving is on the ship. We had an order from a Tauranga company and Mat asked how he wanted to pay, "Cash or Oil".

willow and any other marina tennats,

been thinking about the suggestion of buy an oil boom.... there might be some merit.

I believe that margin has a far bit of current which is going to cause issues but you could try this stuff http://www.processlubricants.com/produc ... p?proid=13. They float on top and should "skim" the oil off the water

I would suggest a double barrier if you can with a space between each boom and another gap to your hull. The amount getting through should decrease at each boom. They work well collecting the oil but not water which may make them useful for a reasonable length of time. I have used these products with lighter oil but not HFO, I can test it on some medium fuel oil tomorrow and see how it goes.

Do i think this will stop every bit of oil touching your pride & joy?? probably not, but with this black crap the less you have to clean the better, and they could stop a decent amount (i hope)

In theory they can be rung out and re-used, and if you go for this option I might be able to source a wringer for you, it would extend their life a bit and help keep the cost down.

If a few owners got together you should be able to drive the price down too. (hopefully)

good luck

A prominent NZ boat builder just finished a sweeper boat for Sydney harbour. Sadly it's been shipped over or we could have used that to skim off the grunge maybe.

A side effect of this is NZ is about to or probably has, run out of a lot of the bigger gear. They are scrounging whatever they can from where ever they can. We've high speeded all the big gear we had left down there just like most others. There is going to be some downstream effects for a quite a long while in areas many won't have thought about. We are on stand by to over night fly in some gear from Seattle and that is gonna cost someone LARGE.

Even simple things like one outfit we work with having 3 containers of gear to unload but all the racking it was supposed to be put on is sitting on a reef so they are fecked and now getting grief from the shipping company who wants their containers back and the local council who don't like them sitting on the footpath. It's about to cost them a fair few bucks by the looks.

The ship is rooted and sure looks like it'll be 2 halves shortly. This is going to go on for a long while yet.

We are on stand by to over night fly in some gear from Seattle and that is gonna cost someone LARGE.

Same sucker that's picking up after leaky homes, finance companies, the Canterbury earthquake and the now-empty EQC, AMI Insurance, the shortfall on the RWC, the captain and crew of this sorry piece of wreckage and whatever else I have forgotten. :evil:

Please administer my share of the rogering gently.

Thanks to all our Auckland friends for all thoughts about the disaster here in BOP. Yes our marina and Tga yacht club have been wonderful in keeping us all updated etc. It is really hard for everything to sink in.

What with the massive loss of marine life and a lot more to come, the pollution on the coastal beaches and now the harbour. Not to mention the economic impact.

It is difficult to think about our own expensive boat sitting in the marina and what it the oil could do to the paint job etc. etc.

It did hit home our personal impact on all this, when we got the email about our options.

1. Lift boat out. A bit hard to lift all the boats out of the marina.

2. Move boat out of area. Not in this weather!

3. Put a boom around your boat. Where do you get one of those from quickly? Oil already sighted in the harbour is it too late? We have lightened the boat so more antifoul out of water. So any water/oil splashes hopefully land on antifoul paint. Anchor & 70 mtrs chain now sitting on the bottom of marina. This lifted bow up and couple of inches but stern still a bit low. At the moment water is not splashing onto gloss paint. All we can really do at this stage. I'm injured and can't lift anything and Ray has been busy rewiring the salt water pools to stop the salt water from entering the pools. They have only just reopened can't have them breaking down again. Might be the only place we can swim this summer.

All this because, (my theory anyway). A bunch of foreign seafarers decided to throw a birthday party for the captain, forgot the rumbline from White to A bouy has a bloody great reef in the way. Most likely missed out the waypoint that goes on the outside of the reef, because they were behind time to get into port. Time is money so they cut a corner. With the Autopilot on, a few miles still to go till meeting with the pilot, left the bridge, to attend said party. No one was checking the chart plotter or keeping watch, as who else would bigger than them would be out at sea at 2am in the morning. And they say New Zealanders have a "it'll never happen to us attitude"

Lets face it over the years how many stories have you heard of yachts at sea trying to radio up a ship passing close by and not got a reply!!!

Anyway back in little old Tauranga ,still in the anger phase moving towards acceptance phase but along way off the optimism phase.

Latest email from the Marina

The Marina Staff have been busy today making oil spill

> plugs to go between every float on the northern breakwater

> , they are now all in place and an oil boom has been made

> to go across the Marina entrance.

>

>

> We will put the oil spill plugs between every float on the

> southern breakwater tomorrow as the advice we have from

> Environment Bay of Plenty is that the oil should not come

> to the Marina overnight.

>

>

> NEW EXCLUSION ZONES

>

>

> Please be advised effected today 1400 hours the exclusion

> zone has been extended from Rabbit Island through to

> Matata Beach and out beyond the Rena due to oil and

> shipping containers. It will remain in force till further

> notice.

>

> BERTH NO.5 PORT OF TAURANGA

>

>

> Just another reminder to stay at least 60 metres clear at

> all times and pass with NO wake.

>

>

>

> We will endeavour to keep you updated as we receive

> information.

>

Been thinking if it was at my marina..how to protect my boat quickly and cheaply..

Buy enough guttering round drain pipe to build a floating box section around my boat, join the four corners with 90 degree bends...solvent cement it all together.

Course you would have to assemble it at berth but its doable i think

If probability of oil going under frame then a short curtain of canvas hung over the pipe and weighted with lead sinkers should help..

Well just a thought..may not be 100% effective if the marina is subject to a lot of wave action.

Its no longer a question of if its going to break and sink..just when.

Archived