a New Nelson-Taranaki Race?

RedLine

Just thinking this could be a good longish Race. Doesnt yet exist, but perhaps RPNYC/TBCC/Waikawa/Taranki boats could be interested?

Two handed would be gr8, but fully crewed would be an option. Leave Nelson on a Fri Eve, should be over in less than 24 hrs. Beer Ashore @ Taranaki on Sat Eve, then head back Wx permitting to Nelson/Waikawa/Wellington.

TBCC could run the event if there was sufficient interest sometim in March, make it an annual event if popular.

Anyone else think it might be worth a crack. Prob a Cat II race..

Redline

Nice idea... There might well be interest Stu.

Another timing possibility would be after Nelson Regatta, or after the RPNYC Nelson race... that might get more Wellington/Waikawa/Picton boats interested...

The only problem is that Port Taranaki ain't the best anchorage in the world. The moorings are in relatively shallow water and there isn't a whole lot of room without putting boats on the commercial wharf and I think they weren't to keen on that when half of thr RNI fleet came to visit.

RPNYC considered a long offshore out of Wellington up around one of the oil platforms (with the required amount of clearance distance) and back to Wellington. You could do Nelson - Wellington using a Taranaki Oil Platform as a rounding mark (to stbd).

Then you've got your nice long race, you get a good anchorage/marina, and you're closer to home (arguably) at the end of it.

Either before or After the Nelson Race, or in early/mid December... then do the RPNYC Cook Strait Classic (just before Christmas) which is the traditional "Delivery to the Sounds" race. Then you've got all of Christmas and New Years cruising in the sounds... or the Waikawa Regatta (c. January 7th/8th) before cruising to Nelson in time for the Nelson Regatta...

Hi All

I also thought that @ the end of the Nelson Regatta might be good timing for boats on the way back. That way there would already be a gaggle of Welly/Waikwa/Nelson boats around.

They run the Trans Tasman race out of Taranaki, so have laid on moorings etc before when they know there is an event on, and am sure with a bit of liason with the YC that arrangements could be made for say a dozen or so Yachts. My Previous 36 footer is permanently kept there on mooring.

I like the idea of a 24 hr race, as you can push hard, then at the other end sleep for 12 hrs!! Not sure wher to go from here. Maybe talk to Taranaki about the idea and see what they say.

Redline

Archived