Marine Medic course - coastal

If anyone is interested I am organising a Coastguard Boating Education Service Marine Medic (Coastal), [which is also NZQA units 6400, 6401, 6402, Maritime New Zealand commercial first aid and STCW Elementary] on January 20th and 21st in Auckland as part of our preps for the Round New Zealand race. Yacht Life Lines will be teaching the course. The coastal marine medic course is a 16 hour course (two days) specifically designed to teach you the skills, and give you the confidence to manage an emergency or medical event where limited equipment is available and help is up to 24 hours away. This course is big step up from your "work" first aid course, where the Ambulance is minutes away.

Also the instructors are able provide practical advise on first aid supplies. Both Rob and I have previously attended the course, and even thou our budget is tight, both believe it is well worth the time and money.

A late January course will mean the information is fresh in your mind for those doing the RNZ or going offshore in the winter.

Yacht Lifelines instructors are former special services, and are excellent with real world first aid. the modules covered are:

Trauma Identification and Assessment

Medical Emergencies

Evacuation and Medical Assistance

Casualty Resuscitation – including an introduction to Defibrillation

Managing Shock

Treating Internal & External Bleeding

Managing Torso Injuries

Managing Burns Emergencies

Managing Fractures

Managing Soft Tissue Injuries

Head, Neck, Spinal Injury Stabilisation

Managing Environmental Injuries

Managing Minor Wounds

Managing Minor Ear and Eye Injuries

The course is recognised by Coastguard see http://www.coastguard.org.nz/marine_med ... _info.html

and http://www.yachtlifeline.com/advanced-m ... --nz-only/

Maximum cost $265, if more than 10 people show up price goes down.

PM me!

Archived