storm sail wanted

dendron

Welcome dendron.

A few more comments may help.

Luff Type = Hanks or Foil tape.

Are you wanting to set on the forestay over a furled headsail ?

OR Set on an inner forestay ? On a boom?

OR Trysail ?

Any preference for Luff or Foot lengths for sheeting angles ?

An ordinary Storm Jib that meets Yachting NZ Safety Regs (5% IGxIG),

OR a smaller Spitfire Jib (see Sir Francis Chichester sailing around the world)?

OR a larger Heavy Weather Jib?

Have you tried different sail makers or sail brokers?

Bud Nader of Doyles Nelson has a very interesting Storm Buster Jib that wraps over / around a furled headsail, empty foil, or bare wire.

Then the two clews are simply tied together to form one sail. Simple & effective for crusing and when laid flat could easily be useful as emergency hull patch cover or extra awning when anchored.

Thanks PaulR for your questions,

sorry about lack of information. Currently considering whatever turns up. I'm not sure how the boat will handle with the differing options and currently it only has a furled jib and 3 reef main with the lowest reef pointless. Ideally i'd like a trysail and storm jib, but this post is really to see if anyone has anything they don't want on offer for a good price. Your mention of a storm jib to go over existing furled jib is one of interest too. Was actually looking to get some storm gear before taking boat down to Nelson.

I'd possibly restore a previous jib rig, or beef up an inner forestay, the former being the strongest option, but a bit forward than guessing would be good. Both rigs would need work, thus any fixing system considered.

I have no expereince with this boat so some experimentation may be required before i understand what best will work. She is a very shallow draft with variable lift keel (daggar style with foil on bottom) and twin variable rudders. Thus balancing could be interesting.

From memory, luff on main is approx 17m, and there is no second track.

But since this is storm gear, there will be plenty of room everywhere.

Then next step to trawl the sail brokers etc as you suggest.

thanks for your help,

Archived