A Class Racing

Nate

We've had some good A sailing down in chch this last week. 15 knots on the harbour, 3 of us out. I'm still getting used to my old/new boat as well, but murray and john are being great helps. I did break my dolphin stirker on saturday though, so I've gota pull it all apart agian a construct a new one. I tell you what, the rig goes loss when theres not dolphin striker

Awesome about the sailing, are there any pictures?

The striker situation is difficult, I don't want one so I am going to get a carbon beam made up because I find it a hassle when it comes to putting the boat on the trailer. Foils are the other thing I am thinking about doing. I have a short board with a very big cord that really sucks once the boat speed gets to 12 knots, I can feel the boat struggling.

Don't have any pictures of the sailing unfortunately, but heaps of pictures of the boat on NZADC. Yeh I would like carbon beams, but they are down the list a fair way on things I would like. I'm currently running old paper tiger boards which are quite narrow, but I have molds for new ones when I get round to finishing them

details ar in the KZ149 blog on NZADC website. Mold is milled MDF at mo, needs a sand and fibre glass and prep, then should be good to pop out boards, think it will be a winter project once I finish insulating the house. The foils are assy shape, 200mm chord and up to 1.5m long. Not sure if they'll be any good or not, but I spent so much time getting them made that I may as well finish them and make some boards.

I have 3 rigs, my carbon one and one of the ally ones is 9 meters and the other alloy rig has a weird base on it thats 200mm high. not sure if anyone has different heights...

9m is pretty standard. Some of the older rigs were about 400mm longer I think, but they seem to have settled around 9m now. There's not limit of rig height, just on sail area (which takes into account wingmast area). Means you have a rig about the same size as a ross780 I think

Went out for a sail on Saturday. Unfortunately I didn't have time to race so I toke my sister out for a ride. There were 3 other A's out (2xDNA's and ASG3), they all looked bloody good going round the coarse. Was a perfect day for it.

post-10432-141887199769.jpg

Nice, thats a pretty good turn out! Conditions were good on sat, was a bit windier up the harbour. This weekend looks crap though, so back to the big boats for me.

Great day out yesterday. Had 5-8kts (could've done with a couple more). Nice Autumn day. Had 5 A-class out with a bunch of trailer sailors and Keelboats going round the same track.

We are now up to 7 A-class in Christchurch that will be racing regularly and we're looking to add a few more to that.

Does anyone know of any broken carbon masts lying around? Or unbroken ones for that matter, I want to upgrade.

We also had an awesome day on Saturday up here in Auckland, 4 of us went out and it was a great learning curve with a lot of help from Bruce and Finn and Mike was on fire!, breeze got up to about 20 plus knots seeing me capsize twice and one other doing a spectacular pitchpole.

Nice Matty, I still havent put the boat over (really should at some point). They really do get fun when the wind gets up, especially as you round the top mark

So what's happening around the country. We had 4 A's out racing today in chch. Was a good 10-15 knots north east.

Upcoming big regattas down here are the south island then canterbury champs, then early next year the nationals.

Many northerners coming down to visit for nationals?

Archived