How fast can Banque Pop go

Awesome :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Phil - can you imagine averaging over 32 kts for over 24 hrs. WOW

You'd think you were in an aircraft. WOW & good on them.

'Sailing Anarchy' has a video of a whole tour of the boat - you just gota watch it - it's just the best 'eye-candy' a multihull person could ever watch.

Enjoy 'dreamer' & try & remember to measure the free-board at the front & back beams - for me - Please - - Thanks, james

When they crossed the finishing line off Brest yesterday evening at 2214hrs GMT, Loïck Peyron and his crew of thirteen on the Maxi Trimaran Banque Populaire V smashed the outright round the world record, becoming the fastest crew to sail around the world. Loïck Peyron and his crew completed their voyage in 45 days, 13 hours, 42 minutes and 53 seconds, improving on the previous record time for the Jules Verne Trophy by 2 days, 18 hours, 1 minute and 59 seconds.

Setting sail on the 22nd November 2011 and crossing the start line between Ushant off the coast of Brittany and the Lizard, the southernmost tip of Britain, the Maxi Banque Populaire V crossed the finishing line of the Jules Verne Trophy at 22:14:35 GMT (23:14:35 CET) on Friday 6th January 2012. They made it around the world in 45 days, 13 hours, 42 minutes and 53 seconds, at an average speed of 26.51 knots covering a total distance of 29,002 miles.

First reactions from Loïck Peyron

"It’s a very emotional moment and everyone is overjoyed! We’ll be celebrating this achievement amongst ourselves before returning to Brest tomorrow morning to share this amazing success with everyone. Our minds are full of fantastic images: the start, the icebergs, the albatrosses, the Kerguelen Islands... When you sail around the world in 45 days, you see a lot. The only thing we missed out on was Cape Horn, but that tiny frustration can be forgotten now that we have this record in our hands. We’re very proud. When we crossed the line, we kissed each other on the cheeks to say thanks for this little trip."

Launched in Lorient in August 2008 (Morbihan in Southern Brittany), the giant trimaran also set a series of records along the way that have already been ratified by the WSSRC (World Sailing Speed Record Council) :

- Equator–Equator record: 32 days, 11 hours, 51 minutes and 30 seconds

- Indian Ocean record (Cape Agulhas / South of Tasmania): 8 days, 7 hours, 22 minutes and 15 seconds

The winning crew in this rapid round the world voyage included Loïck Peyron (skipper), Thierry Chabagny, Florent Chastel, Thierry Dduprey du Vorsent, Kevin Escoffier, Emmanuel Le Borgne, Frédéric Le Peutrec, Jean-Baptiste Le Vaillant, Ronan Lucas, Pierre-Yves Moreau, Yvan Ravussin, Xavier Revil, Brian Thompson, Juan Vila with Marcel van Triest their router back on dry land.

Bruno Peyron present in Brest

Three times winner of the Jules Verne Trophy, Bruno Peyron was present in Brest to welcome home Loïck and congratulate the crew of Banque Populaire: "This was a great victory, after a well managed race and a fantastic route around the world. They always took the right decisions and at the right time. This was a good team effort, as the result proves, so we can but admire the performance and the way it was achieved. Loïck has won the Jules Verne Trophy that Franck (Cammas) took away from us, so the family honour has been saved. And if someone takes it away from us again, we’ll be out there to win it back. Why not together, as that would be an incredible story? More seriously, once Loïck has recovered and got some well deserved rest, he’ll be back with Energy Team and the French challenger for the 2013 America’s Cup. We will be making the most of the next few months to continue to work on the team’s performance and the communications around the project, while continuing to train. We haven’t yet decided where exactly. It may be in Valencia, where our AC45 was unloaded a few weeks ago, or Marseilles where it would be nice to compete in a match race against several other Challengers from the America's Cup, or why not back in Brittany?"

Guest Crafty 1
I'm thinking that will be a record that may stand for quite some time. Outstanding!

EE

I'm picking it will be gone within 5 years.

Guest Crafty 1

Averaged 26.7 knots around the globe! :wtf:

They averaged a faster speed than most people will will ever sail (peak/top speed) in their life.

What did they break?...

They could easily beat that record if the weather allows them to, this time around they had an amazing first half then a fairly average south pacific crossing and a bad north atlantic.

The next thing in record breaking may not be any bigger at all, but fully foiling, The Hydropter guys are working on a maxi for the Jules Vern. and we know how quick the little one goes.

i think in the next 18 months we will see speed records broken and re-broken as the ac72's hit the water and if there is not at least one thats fully foiling i'll be suprized and disappointed.

Its just an amazing achievement.

It may be broken in the future but these loonies still pushed there very fast boat to its max in the conditions they got faced with.

A better time in the same boat will probably be more down to the weather they encounter than them pushing it harder (sailing it faster).

Fully foiled may be faster but will it be reliable enough?

This BP effort certainly puts the Volvo race concept to shame, this was "around the World", not what those show ponies are doing.

Massive Ups to the whole campaign and long may the Jules Verne concept continue.

Now down to the Rum Prize Mr Squid. My Guess of 47 days 12 is just under 2 days off but I think it may well be the closest ?

Guest Crafty 1
Its just an amazing achievement.

This BP effort certainly puts the Volvo race concept to shame, this was "around the World", not what those show ponies are doing.

+1. that VOR is just "glorified advertiser exposure" and "whos got the Dosh to buy a stopover" disguised as a port to port dash.... at best!

VOR = Very Overated Race.

I'm thinking that will be a record that may stand for quite some time. Outstanding!

EE

I'm picking it will be gone within 5 years.

agree

Really - so who's going to do it? or have the funding to do it as the EU melts down progressively this year? Most of the big multi action hails from around those parts.

When you have the record would you put the time , effort and money into sharpening your pencil up and breaking your own record? - I don't think so dudes. Even if hypothetically you had better weather patterns I think it will take someone else to break it for BP to have another go.

So tell me who, is waiting in the wings to break it? Happy to be educated on that.

Guest Crafty 1

Firstly the French have plenty of money and the rich are still rich in Europe.

The big corporates still have money for campaigns like this.

Secondly, a certain Mr Russell coutts might find this right down his alley once the AC fiasco is done and dusted.

Other french Legends would like to give this a go and get the huge status it brings in france.

The chinese might even fund an attempt if apporached by the right person.

Dalton and and team Emirates / Camper would be a go for a new challenge post another loss in the AC

And they (the current holders) would have another go at the record to see if they could get it below 45 days... why not... after all thats what they do and get paid for.

Money is not the problem and designing a bigger and stronger version of the record holder is viable so it just comes down to who, when and where.

Archived