Race 4

TimW

What a great night it was last evening.

Brilliant conditions.

So, McKenzie has definitely been moved but it is still the next mark along from Saltworks.

I think everyone ended up going around it (maybe not Vodafone who seemed to go outside it in both directions?)

We had a new official top speed of 27 knots with the new board in :)

Brilliant conditions.

Bollocks.

It was shithouse conditions. So gusty.

And that ship just screwed us over big time. Was quite surprised to see the deeds and attitude cutting in front of it.

Why was vodaphone so slow?

Pretty gusty coming up from oraki but the rest of the race was awesome.

I think a couple of the boats need new course sheets. the attitude and one of the GBE's decided not to go around northern leading like the rest of us did. i couldn't work out how they got into us so quick.

Well Booger you did pretty well then if you did the full course and the others didn't. I notified race committee that some didn't, but didn't know who, but looks like no action was taken.

Never mind, you screamed away right from the start, and so a win well deserved.

Timberwolf really does look stunning, went past us with us battling the chop, on the reach, and they slid past smooth a silk at twice the speed.

Also 888 looked awesome neck and neck with Vodafone, sort of feel like a horse drawn cart plodding along the middle lane of a highway, with Ferraris passing both sides.

C'mon Clipper, that was GGRREEAATT conditions, absolutely loved it.

My humble machine needs those conditions, the gusts were just turbo charges for us, and after we got into the swing of things was absolutely loving the gusts.

The start (once again) was a bit average, but if I can be off the container terminal with TWU on one side, DD and I think Attitude on the other, I'm having a great race. A tad tight with the kite, but we stayed upright at least.

C'mon Clipper, that was GGRREEAATT conditions, absolutely loved it.

Outside of North head, yes, awesome.

in the harbour, sh*t as always.

I hate auckland harbour as a place to sail (from north head in)

Man, am I grumpy this morning. Think I must be missing the boat. leaving her for 2 months! what was I thinking?

Thanks john, we had a great start we must have been bloody close to over, and went stright to the little kite. I was a little surprised to look around to find nearly everyone else on jibs. we even rechecked the course to make sure we hadn't missed something. We did have some quite hairy moments with ferry wakes down towards Devenport. just made it a little more exciting. Easily crossing infront of timberwolf and teiping on port at ruff rock was definitely a high light.

The boys on attitude know they missed northern leading and i am sure they will withdraw from the race.

creepy broke their forestay. did very well to finish.

ken, if you don't like those conditions on auckland harbour you are doing the multihull sailing thing all wrong, it was awesome !

john, we were right on 22-24 knots the whole time along there beside you, was a really great ride, we actually caught up to and passed taeping before we got to orakei only for them to weasel back past us and beat us by 14 seconds.

bit disappointing if people do the wrong course and admit it to you but then don't withdraw.

its hard to protest if you aren't sure yourself so you have to rely on other peoples conscience.

its not the rc fault they can't see who has gone around the correct buoys

was a good send. sail choice was easy. Vodafone should pull out for not rounding the mark. We had to undo ourselves and round it. was very confusing.

How does vodafone win on handicap when

a) we passed them down wind (never ever done that before)

B) they have to sail way further because of the ship

c) they get stuck in irons for 5 mins by wharf bouy.

What do we have to do!!

So where is McKenzie Bouy?

Saw Saltworks SE of Rangi light. Ok.

But no McKenzie which should be NW of Rangi Light.

Has there been a notice posted saying its disappeared / moved?

Booger is right - we (Attitude) only found out we missed NL back at the marina as we were using last years course sheets - both hulls had 2010 course sheets in them still ! And i have retired / withdrawn from the race stating that we missed the mark. Bit of a bugger as we were going ok upwind too ! Bit gusty though i agree.

was a good send. sail choice was easy. Vodafone should pull out for not rounding the mark. We had to undo ourselves and round it. was very confusing.

How does vodafone win on handicap when

a) we passed them down wind (never ever done that before)

B) they have to sail way further because of the ship

c) they get stuck in irons for 5 mins by wharf bouy.

What do we have to do!!

Ha ha!

The handicapper could be forgiven for thinking u r fast!

Fast downhill but not flash uphill eh?

You need to talk to Simon about his sand bagging all the time.

He deserves the odd handicap win for all the effort he puts into slowing the boat down :lol:

So where is McKenzie Bouy?

Saw Saltworks SE of Rangi light. Ok.

But no McKenzie which should be NW of Rangi Light.

Has there been a notice posted saying its disappeared / moved?

We were confused too. the mark off rangi light is mackenze. I have just typed in the coordinates from the squdron website on my gps and it puts mackense almost due west of rangi light. So the mark we went around was correct. to back this up mackenzie is sponsored by ocean photography and that was the sticker on the mark we went around. Saltworks is way back from rangi light. I think the 8.5's went around it. here is the link to the gps position. I think you will find the position has not changed since the sailing instructions were issued but it has changed from last year agreed.

http://www.rnzys.org.nz/Sailing/Courses ... fault.aspx

this means vodafone did not complete the course. We will accept your withdrawl! :wave: :wave:

feel sorry for you Clipper, after a race like that, the next day is spent reminiscing on the highlights, the close encounters and the occasional brilliances that emanate from a decision. It never is quite as satisfying on somebody else's boat.

Was it Whio that was the other boat that didn't do the full course cos he pulled out?

Paddy

I must give you a half harted appology. The guy reading the results at prizegiving last night read out VF got the double. looking at the results just now on the squaddy site you got DFL on handicap which makes way more sense. sorry chap!

36 46.84S

174 49.05E

The above are the coordinates from the Harbour Masters info sheet. and as published in the squady course info.

That position is WNW, just out side Rangi light.

Where is it published that the Bouy has been moved?

The mark you went around is South of Rangi light eh?

Na I put the mark due west of rangi. Despite it being probably 100-200m out of position due to maybe drifting or incorrect placement the fact of the mater is you failed to round the mark.

Archived