Race 4

TimW

Paddy

You know the course.

You know you did not go around McKenzie Buoy.

You are the stated navigator of Vodafone.

I'm certain you can mention this thread to Simon.

Lettervfrom RNZYS

Hi All,

Hope you are all enjoying your day.

I have been in contact with the Harbour Master and the below has been confirmed,  

McKenzie Buoy is out of position, they began to drag it back to the stated position but came across rocks on the sea bed preventing dragging. The buoy will remain in the current position until it is serviced (not yet scheduled). There is no current GPS position for the buoy,  but it is well clear of the channel. The buoy is closer to the channel than previously stated in clear water.

Flax Point buoy is currently out of the water awaiting new gear to be fitted. It is anticipated that it will be back in place late next week or the following week, weather permitting.

Hope to see you all down here tonight for Havana Club Rum Racing, looks like it will be an awesome night for racing and rum.

Happy Sailing.

Thanks,

Nicole

Nicole Manuela | Sailing Assistant | Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron

101 Curran Street, Westhaven Marina, Auckland 1101 | PO Box 46-182, Herne Bay, Auckland 1147

T: +64 9 360 6811 | M: +64 027 645 7788 | F: +64 9 360 6816 | W: http://www.rnzys.org.nz

I was wondering if some had seen this, and maybe Paddy deserved an apology?

We have withdrawn from race 4 and requested both R4and 5 are scraped as the buoy was in a significantly and materially different place causing disruption.

We have withdrawn from race 4 and requested both R4and 5 are scraped as the buoy was in a significantly and materially different place causing disruption.

That seems the fairest outcome, given the confusion for the vast majority (all?) of the fleet. What's the likelihood of it happening?

If it doesn't happen, perhaps all entrants should follow TVR's lead (kudos guys) and withdraw also - same net effect.

Full Marks to TVS for withdrawing from Race 4.

Yes that race 4 was a total shambles.

we had gone around McKenzie in its current position as early as the First race of the Commodores Cup, as also did divisions A and B.

So I knew it had moved but not exactly where it now was (in terms of specific GPS co ordinates).

whether the current location is so far away from its stated GPS position is a bit more open to conjecture,

Patrick found its new location after the RYC Wednesday race as he placed a map on the website.

So its fair to say that everyone knew its location for Race 5 and everyone went correctly around it and it caused no disruption what so ever.

It also caused no disruption and wasn't the subject of protest for any division using it on Opening Day.

You also have to raise that Orakei has also been moved from when it drifted earlier in the year.

i am happy if I have go to a protest for either Race 4 or 5 but believe in both occassions all the boats went correctly around the marks albeit that they were hard to find.

It has to be hard for the RNZYS though to introduce a protest just on a selected division when countless other boats in other divisions have used the same mark in its current location.

I don't think either race should be scrapped

tend to agree with Tim

Which bit? That it was a total shambles or that neither race should be thrown? Seems a bit of a contradiction right there!

In race 4 we went to where the mark should have been and even past it, before thinking, well might as well do the rest of the course and go for a skid. We went significantly further than any other boat and ended up DFL on handicap. It should be thrown. We shouldnt have to zigzag around the harbour looking for wayward marks, and check a little sticker to see which one it is.

The next race should also be thrown because despite everyone by then knowing the mark was AWOL there is no way a race commitee should continue to use marks in new positions without at least a notifation of the new position.

Looks to be 4oo-600m out of position to me? Significant and material enough I would have thought?

Bull I think you are putting too much on the gps positions. on the course maps it does quite clearly say gps positions are a guide only and do not use as navigation.

respect for withdrawing from the race.

One way of looking at it I suppose John.

But as we didn't go to the club after the race, we assumed the race would be thrown as the buoy was missing. And the first I heard of the commotion was the next Wednesday that there was bleating on Crew.

We have withdrawn, but I for one will be very pissed if the race doesn't get chucked. If ever there was a case where no redress can be given, but we were clearly, serverly disadvantaged.

And just quietly John, isn't there a standard protocol and timespan "others" could have used, that would have meant we would have known the race had scored, and we could have defended our actions? Protest isn't it?

Yeah you're right Bull, the rest of your fleet should have either have let you know or advise RNZYS (as I did in our fleet) if they thought there was an anomaly. Then RNZYS could have followed up or something.

At the end of the day, people need to protest rather than bleat on crew. (Guess I should take my own advice) :eh:

At the end of the day, people need to protest rather than bleat on crew.

Hell no, it's way much more fun watching you lot bitch at each other.

But you are right John, Protesting is the best way to go.

Archived