Cost of lift out and hardstand for a 40 footer..

....well by now you probaly know that I am interested in real numbers...

The insurance question didnt get a lot of anwsers...

SO...what do you pay for a lift...blast ...and weekly hardstand.

Just as important....can you do the work yourself....and live aboard.

To put this into perspective...try about $300 a day in Sydney Harbour...and I am pretty sure that you wont be allowed to be a liveaboard....

..and that seems to be the last marina willing to do it....

Number one rule ???? DONT BREAK DOWN if you are a liveaboard in Sydney.

This is a real situation so if you know any differant...

(oh the joys of a calculator...I just worked out that I have spent way more than 15 768 Hours SLEEPING on my boat : ) .....)

working on it...hhhmmm seems the calculator has a flat battery...

...no my boat not broke !..

Costs are from a recent discusion with a mate from Sydney.

I am about to get hauled (in an hours time) for a fraction of the Sydney costs. Mid $600 for haul and blast and about $130 per week for the hardstanding..

To put it into perspective , I just had a another friend tell me of $1000 a day with fines of $25000 per can of paint if you use the wrong stuff...in the good old us of a..

I just have a general interest in the cost of boat ownership...

CCYC members get a $175 lift, blast and splash deal at Westpark. I think a haul-out, storage for a week and splash is around $500 - $600. No problems with living on board

Im living in Sydney at present with my boat back in AKL as the holiday crash pad. I looked at bringing her over here, but marina costs etc are right up there. Rushcutters Bay is about NZD$800-900 per week and the water nazis wont let you do any maintanence on your boat while its in the water.

The cruising is far better in NZ as well

...all good...

the more input the better.

I think that we are a little to quiet about our real costs...and I dont understand why ...

Scared of the missus ?...worried that you have the cheapest deal in town and they will stick their prices up straight away ?

truth is i think there is a lie about boat ownership and quite a few people are paying WAY more than is reasonable..

I dont belive in 'Elite" crap with boat ownership...and until people start to say what charges are realy happeneing then nothing will change.

Ok kids...you can by a cheap bomb...go fang it up through the forests for a few bucks..all legal...

...but boats ? forget it....WAY to expensive.

Its a life style thing. Once you are in your life style moulds. It could be a simple as replacing your car every 6 years not 3.

I raced sports cars for years and was away almost every 2nd weekend. When I stopped I thought the boat was cheap.

Marina fees have close to doubled in 9 years.

I've just been on the hard at Napier. 32 foot yacht. $200 haulout and back in. $21 per day. OK to live aboard. In Gisborne haulout $380, $41 per day and a very industrial setup so not pleasant to live aboard.

Napier Yacht Club are great to deal with. Great facility and friendly folks. I really enjoyed my time there.

Panmure Yacht & Boating Club has a haulout yard/ slipway on the Tamaki River. Members rates are Haulout $50 and storeage at $8 per day if you have your own cradle or plus $40 to use a club pool cradle relaunching $50

Waterblaster and air compresser onsite. E contact- info@pybc.org.nz

Non members are welcome, surcharge applies but it is better to join up.

The Club has a full sailing programme summer & winter, Coming up is the Classic Quarter & Half Ton series, Annual 2 handed 3 legged races. monthly fishing comps, and our Centennial party in March 2012

necromancing the thread...

Any info on haul outs in the South Auckland / East Auckland area?  Brooklands in Clevedon can't handle our 10m, 1.7m draft keeler, so I'm looking for a haul out and hardstand for waterblast, sand and antifoul action.  I have a pwtrol waterblaster, just need 230v supply for sanding and painting (airless spray). 

Other side of the world. Lift and drop inside 3 days, 270 euro. Yearly berth fee €2380. Lift 200, no daily charge is you’re an annual berth holder. Back in 200. Stands 1buck a day. 
live aboard no problem. Grid is also free as a yearly berth holder. 

Grid use appear to be banned around NZ except for a very light rub with a sponge, Whatever is attached to the hull must be removed and captured to a sludge tank.

I wonder if any of the folk proposing and enforcing this sort of official behaviour have ever watched a mussel harvester in action, the amount of mud, marine debris, fan worms (perhaps) etc. etc. that are gushing off the harvester back into the sea are exactly the same as could be hanging off the bottom of any yacht on the grid, With perhaps a smidgen of antifoul that might be removed in the cleaning process. Given that the dumbed down properties of antifoul available today is the reason you are on the grid in the first place, would generally have bugger all effect on the flora and fauna no matter where the grid is. 

Oh also, the very wise Northland Regional Council (NRC.) will be diving on any and perhaps all vessels in the Kaipara harbour over the coming summer. Done by an in-house "team"?? up for open tender?? who knows.

Their (NRC's) "new castle" is being built in Dargaville, ostensibly to house the 2 NRC workers who had to travel from Whangarei each day. ( and they probably still will as that is obviously where they live). Funded by long suffering Northland ratepayers, who were never asked. this is a council that expressed itself as open and transparent, I was therefore quite surprised that when I asked a question re the above process, I was told I would have to go through the Official information act, open, transparent, I don't think so!!

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, aardvarkash10 said:

necromancing the thread...

Any info on haul outs in the South Auckland / East Auckland area?  Brooklands in Clevedon can't handle our 10m, 1.7m draft keeler, so I'm looking for a haul out and hardstand for waterblast, sand and antifoul action.  I have a pwtrol waterblaster, just need 230v supply for sanding and painting (airless spray). 

I'm a similar size and also looking. People are pretty booked up at the moment. 

I'll come alongside and we can do both boats together. Easier with an extra hand!

• Like 1

You could try Panmure Yacht & boating club. They used to haul non members but you go to the back of the queue and get hauled when no members waiting. Good facilities. Don't know where you are moored but PYBC would be worth joining for the facilities. Have a good racing programe as well.

• Like 1

others that come to mind

Commercial - Half Moon bay and Pine Harbour

Surprised you cannot come out at Brooklands, I think there is another slipway further up the Wairoa but do not know draft

Shelly Beach BC - members only, maybe join for the long term

BBYC - not sure if members only?

Is the slip beside the old Panmure bridge still functioning? Not sure with the highway expansion

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Steve Pope said:

Grid use appear to be banned around NZ except for a very light rub with a sponge, Whatever is attached to the hull must be removed and captured to a sludge tank.

I wonder if any of the folk proposing and enforcing this sort of official behaviour have ever watched a mussel harvester in action, the amount of mud, marine debris, fan worms (perhaps) etc. etc. that are gushing off the harvester back into the sea are exactly the same as could be hanging off the bottom of any yacht on the grid, With perhaps a smidgen of antifoul that might be removed in the cleaning process. Given that the dumbed down properties of antifoul available today is the reason you are on the grid in the first place, would generally have bugger all effect on the flora and fauna no matter where the grid is. 

Oh also, the very wise Northland Regional Council (NRC.) will be diving on any and perhaps all vessels in the Kaipara harbour over the coming summer. Done by an in-house "team"?? up for open tender?? who knows.

Their (NRC's) "new castle" is being built in Dargaville, ostensibly to house the 2 NRC workers who had to travel from Whangarei each day. ( and they probably still will as that is obviously where they live). Funded by long suffering Northland ratepayers, who were never asked. this is a council that expressed itself as open and transparent, I was therefore quite surprised that when I asked a question re the above process, I was told I would have to go through the Official information act, open, transparent, I don't think so!!

Pretty annoying all of that and one of the reasons we have sold our boat after 18 years, the costs keep going up and up with little justification. A real shame what these leeches are doing to destroy a great Kiwi tradition.

• Upvote 1