Young 88 Nationals 2010

Lots of the 88s have been fully-rod (except backstays of course) for years.

Two very separate arguments though:

a) are boltcutters the best way of dealing with a fallen rig? Arguably no

B) however, the Y88 Association having agreed and made it known that boats shall meet the requirements of Cat 4 when racing (with a couple of specified exceptions), it makes sense for everyone to race with their boats in the same state, regardless of their view of the usefulness of the individual items. Or, as has recently been the case with holding tanks, push for a class-wide change involving a vote by all owners and amendment of the rules.

Ever tried cutting rod rigging with boltcutters? There's no way I could do it as I ain't built like Erle Williams!!

We cut rod all the time with bolt cutters in the rig shed, Small rod like up to about -15 is do-able easy enough, The cutters only need to go through about halfway before it shears off anyhow.

"Murky" Where are you getting that from, Fish? I agree with your logic and have been on board when a rigger tidied up a felled rig in a matter of minutes with hammer, punch and pliers, so would always choose that method myself.

But the written version doesn't seem to allow that discretion.

Thats interesting. "Shall" is fairly difficult to argue with.

The first part of the requirement says you require "adequate" equipment. The second part then prescribes the equipment, which makes the first part of the statement pointless.

I agree with Murky on both counts, I wouldn't use bolt cutters, but there is no discretion.

If the class association has afirmed the requirement, prescriptively, then you need it :(

I have to say im a wee bit stiff and sore today......

Great weekend sailing, some very very close racing and mint conditions. We missed out on 3rd place although going into the last race we were still in 3rd and only 2 points off 2nd, but we stuffed it up and had our worst race!

We had some very tight racing with the danger zone but they just got the better of us. we really needed adjustable jib tracks instead of the pinstop cars so we could change gears better in the changable conditions instead of having to wait untill we tacked to change the car positions. but we made the most of what we had and hiked our asses off!

Sunday morning involved a slightly early start so we could make up some bracing below decks to support the middle 2 stanchins that were starting to crack the deck. a jigsaw, a sheet of Ply wood and some good old kiwi Ingenuity and we were away.

i have to say, its still the best keelboat sailing in NZ by a very long way.

IMG00170-20100418-0737.jpg

IMG00169-20100418-0735.jpg

IMG00168-20100418-0734.jpg

There is no shame at all in having to slot in behind the Danger Zone, especially in a boat that has not previously rated as of the top names.

Any gossip or carnage (other than your stanchions)? I see from the results that Mindbender was a DNF in the first race and then didn't come back out.

it certainly was a weekend for working the lifelines, the hip bones are a wee bit sore today.

Good work on the running repairs booboo, but surely if the bracing is going where it looks like its going it will stop the stanchions bending inwards, not outwards, if that's the case, i think i can see where it might have gone wrong for the sonic??

Towing cars would be on our wish list for the gear changes too, but we had some more fundamental tuning issues to deal with on flashback. Some rigging was replaced before Easter after an incident in the last sprint races, it took us until Sunday morning to get the rig back how we wanted, and then the no1, also pretty wrecked from the same incident, gave up completely just before the 1st start, so we had to use the No3 in pretty marginal conditions. But man what a difference!!! consistent back end of the fleet to consistent top 5, a weekend for what might have been.

Great racing as always though, and an excellently run series.

i felt a little for one of the event sponsors at the prize giving, not really on to be high jacked like that, but i guess when a sailmaker sponsors an event they're putting themselves on the line...

some good picks at luvmyboat.com

there are some good pics at crew.org, but they are of last year's event.

there are also some at another website which when I posted their name, its was automatically changed to crew.org.....

Didn't realise this place indulged in automated censoring...... ??????

there are some good pics at crew.org, but they are of last year's event.

there are also some at another website which when I posted their name, its was automatically changed to crew.org.....

Didn't realise this place indulged in automated censoring...... ??????

Neither did I - can you PM me the details please.

HAHAHAHA, didn't know that was still there. That other site had a bad habit of logging in to our forums and writing posts like "hey there's this really cool site you should check out called...... so I set up that to change the name to Crew.org.nz every time it appeared. I eventually banned them and forgot about it. Till Now.

it certainly was a weekend for working the lifelines, the hip bones are a wee bit sore today.

Good work on the running repairs booboo, but surely if the bracing is going where it looks like its going it will stop the stanchions bending inwards, not outwards, if that's the case, i think i can see where it might have gone wrong for the sonic??

Yes they were broken in from the 3 of us pushing ourselves out on the top lifeline after the tacks, almost to the point where you could just about get it to hit the cabintop!

Archived