Boat Painting

shanson

I was told not to paint in the afternoon, as the night air will affect paint that hasn't had a good long drying time. It may be touch dry, but can still be affected.

I was told not to paint in the afternoon, as the night air will affect paint that hasn't had a good long drying time. It may be touch dry, but can still be affected.
:think: :think: :shh:

Being left with an inconsistant finish is often due to moisture. This is a real difficult one in NZ. Especially if you are painting down in the Marina or any where close to the water and an obvious problem anywhere in a place like Auckland being surrounded by water. Humidity is a killer. Patchy finishes is most certainly moisture. Heavier area's where there maybe a stringer or something under the surface tend to hold the warmth a little longer and will often hold the Gloss as against a thin part of the surface losing the warmth and allowing a little moisture to settle and will dull the Gloss. Thus the patchy finish.

Also rolling the paint too much and rolling in an inconsistant pattern. You can and should roll on in several directions to apply and ensure a good coverage and then roll the area in one direction to finish, or as I said in an earlier post, use a good brush and just lightly tip off in a vertical stroke, NOT horizontal. And make sure you buy good quality Rollers. Usually short map Mohair rollers, but what ever, make sure they are for solvent based paints and are good quality.

Some of the other answers have already been suggested above.

First one and the most difficult when applying by Brush, is to maintain a thin paint film. Many thin coats with proper drying time between coats is very important. And it is so tempting to apply a coat early because you feel the earlier coat is dry enough. This can trap solvent and slow the cure of the coats, which allows the surface to be suseptible to moisture for a longer period, plus the evaporating solvent cools the paint and causes moisture to form earlier than it may have otherwise. In many instances, it maybe best to take longer to apply the coats than to rush and apply too early.

Rolling the paint on helps to maintain an even film thickness. But don't get fooled into thinking you have to lay it on thick. Lay on just enough to cover and that is it.

With two pot paints, ensure you allow the required time of sitting once mixed before you apply. Usually about 10-15mins. This allows long chain molecules to start forming. Very important.

Time of day is the hardest to figure. I have heard so many theories and all are valid. But I have found the following the best. If applying a Primer or just Epoxy Resin to a Virgin ply surface, apply once the temperature of the day has stabilized or even starting to drop. A rising temp causes air to expand in the ply surface and push the coating out and bubbles to form on the surface.

Make sure the surface has had plenty of time to dry in the morning before you apply. This will ensure the surface is not too damp. If the surface feels cool to touch, it is still too damp. It may seem dry, but won't be. Trapping moisture is death to your coatings long term survival. On very very Humid days, it maybe best to not even try to paint, unless you are under cover. If at all possible, cover your hard work for the night. A stunning day may result in a very damp night and will destroy your beautiful finish.

Try not to add extra solvent or retarders unless you really have to or are experienced enough to know what you are doing. It is far better and far far easier to get the Boat in the shade or under cover if you can, than to paint in the Hot Sun. And the other point is that you can bet your bottom dollar that the Final coat will always attract the little sandflies and other little insects to creepy crawl through your stunning finish and then stick and cure in the paint surface.

Painting is easy. I got kermit so nice that I was often asked if it was a new boat. How did I do it?

It was easy, I took it to my painter gave hime a handfull (big Hand) of money and he painted it. No sweat :thumbup:

Painting is easy. I got kermit so nice that I was often asked if it was a new boat. How did I do it?

It was easy, I took it to my painter gave hime a handfull (big Hand) of money and he painted it. No sweat :thumbup:

:silent: :silent: :wtf: and... look at the value that handfull of expense has added to your boat!

If you earn over $25 per hour and can do overtime then working the equivilant hours that you would have spent sanding and painting your boat would pay for the pro to do it!... and without the loss of you mind!, Finger prints, Crew, wife, children, hair, life...

unless of course you enjoy it and know what you are doing.

after all the difference between a pro and a jock is only the labour (and less of it because they will spray it!)

Do the maths

I think that the math would scare me, :o as much as I enjoyed helping with the sanding etc (and that was so I could claim some ownership) If I was to do the job myself, it would have taken twice as long, most likley would have had to pay someone to fix the screw ups.

I do beleive in "sticking to your knitting"

If this is your sort on thing and you think you can do a good job, Then do it.

Otherwise save your self a heart attack, pay someone. :thumbup:

:silent: :silent: :wtf: and... look at the value that handfull of expense has added to your boat!

If you earn over $25 per hour and can do overtime then working the equivilant hours that you would have spent sanding and painting your boat would pay for the pro to do it!... and without the loss of you mind!, Finger prints, Crew, wife, children, hair, life...

unless of course you enjoy it and know what you are doing.

after all the difference between a pro and a jock is only the labour (and less of it because they will spray it!)

Do the maths

My wife tends to apply a different logic, something about the 5-10K and Jewellery! :roll: :roll:

STS I believe you are restoring/building a boat, are you planning to paint it yourself?

SHANE

What is it with wifes and boats?...

Don't get married!... they want ownership of all the good spaces on the property... sheds, garages, gardens, lawns, loo's, ...

Half completed projects on the lawn are a big Eye sore! Yet there are heaps of them all around NZ!

Having all the spray gear and a ventilated booth set up in one of the garages makes it easy for me!

In preference i would not to brush paint anything larger than a cupboard door!

Also a real pro is often faster because he will have pro gear. Like sanders that rip the old paint off much faster than handyman stuff. Even the more expensive supposedly Commercial stuff. You don't know what you are missing till you use an expensive Festool sander or expensive Air sander etc. And then there is the spray painting guns. Much faster and far more professional finish from the pro guy. (hopefully) Most amatures can not compete with the big air systems with air dryers and the flash guns and so on. There is nothing more frustrating than having a perfect finish on your last coat and then a drip of water comes out onto the surface.

A drip of sweat is more frustrating Wheels.

or a drip of condensation from the mask is a real winner too :evil: ... out with the air gun!

but worse of all is being supplied the wrong hardener in the rightly labled can!

and waiting waiting waiting :crazy: :shock:

then removing :twisted:

then phone call! :twisted: :twisted:

"-Insert Rocket launcher aimed at certain paint factory! here-"

At least you had someone to blame. I know of someone that sprayed on a complete coat and then realised he had forgotten the hardener.

Waiting.... waiting..... waiting....still waiting...

are we there yet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

... waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waitingwaiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waitingwaiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waitingwaiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting waiting...

nearly there... waiting for this global warming to kick in!... that should cure it :lol: :lol: :lol:

heard of people forgetting hardener when spraying furniture. also heard they fixed it sometimes by putting in extra hardener in the next coat...must have been a very thin coat of paint.

we aren't that foolish at work.

we wouldn't be caught dead brushing a cupboard door unless it was antiquing stain

Yep it looks like I'm going to chicken out and do something similar, Can anyone recommend a good (and cheap) painter?

SHANE

You already know what is wrong with this sentence!

good (and cheap)

In my experience, (albeit further north) they are all very much aware you that will probably be ringing two or three others for estimates and consequently the prices will come out pretty even. In fact once you take into account the cost of the materials and time spent masking-up etc, you will probably find you wouldn't want to attempt it for what they are making out of it.

Guessing that you already have the boat out of the water somewhere so unless you are planning to truck it to someone else's yard for the paintjob, the "resident" (or nearest) painter will have an advantage already having their equipment and team in close proximity.

Archived