Out on the Gulf. So who is where???

wheels

Weather looking good for run to barrier tomorrow. Bon Accord had a few boats waiting for the weather to clear before we left but wasnt near full so guessing number following your plan smithy. Enjoy barrier.

Thanks ab. Yeah, full enough to have us anchored out in the middle with a westerly still blowing in here. Anchorline like a bowstring... :shock: :shock: Should swing to the SW and drop a bit according to predict wind so we should be OK. Might be a fun ride to the Barrier. Kite up with the kids as crew?? :crazy: :crazy: Maybe! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad your 'bowstring' held out. Have a 'sundowner' or (sex) for me eh, all of yous guys & dolls. Mine's vodka - crushed pineapple & ice, thanks. (lots of vodka)

OH I almost forgot to wish the 'birthday boy' a happy 67th birthday. Glad your catching up to me - eh David - or is that the mucber of tenticles a 'squid' has. Ciao mates, james

Went out for a blast on the Offender yesterday with Pedro, Megwyn and husband & offspring. Loads of fun, and nothing too exciting - no more than 15 knots - boatspeed that is!

Thanks AA (and Pedro!) - it was a blast! :thumbup: Soooo wonderful to be out on the water on a REAL yacht :wink:

Wish we had remembered the hand held GPS.

Still got a big smile on my face :D

Went out in the laser today too - wohoo - talk about flighty! I think it will be fun though. Keep me sane (ish) until we can replace our old leaner. . .

Oh - before I hijack the thread - we are nowhere near the Gulf :cry:

M

SWell can anything else go wrong with the Marshall?

Got away from Bon Accord around 0930 with a 20kn Westerly blowing. Got the main up, #3 jib, massive rip in main, just below 1st reef. Oh well. The cruising main really is no use at all now. Might get some bags made out of it!

Reefed it down one and carried on with poled out #3 and wind right up our date.. Some nice waves out by little Barrier and got some good surfs considering we had very little sail up. Wind up to 25-30 and a max speed of the day of 14.7kn!! Not bad for a single hulled lead swinger aye, AA??? Anchored in the southern half of Rarohara bay by 14.30.. Patched up the main with stickyback and Smithy's best sewing but I think it will be a reefed main all the way back.. In the meantime, enjoying the barrier. Forgot how beautiful it is out here.... Wheels, ya gotta get over here, but make it tonight before the wind change!!

Kids got their first go alone in the tender, zooming off annoying the other boats anchored up..

Wind up to 25-30 and a max speed of the day of 14.7kn!! Not bad for a single hulled lead swinger aye, AA???

Atta Boy Smithy! Would have been nice n easy too I bet.

Barrier is awesome, Looks like I won't get there til Waitangi Weekend when the WBC has it's annual race there. Enjoy.

Barrier is awesome, Looks like I won't get there til Waitangi Weekend when the WBC has it's annual race there. Enjoy.

Got any more info on the race? I was thinking about going to Gt Barrier that weekend so we might turn up for the race too...

Hey Smithy we're over opposite smokehouse bay, if you see us paddle over for a couple,

Had a great sail out today, about 30 knots as flat off as we can go, max speed of 18, 2 reefs in the main and full genoa.

As good as it gets really :thumbup:

Got any more info on the race? I was thinking about going to Gt Barrier that weekend so we might turn up for the race too...

Indeed I have. Here is the NoR.

http://www.weiti.co.nz/NoR_Pages/2011-2 ... 012_SI.htm

You are more than welcome to join in - all comers are welcome!

Hey Smithy we're over opposite smokehouse bay, if you see us paddle over for a couple,

Had a great sail out today, about 30 knots as flat off as we can go, max speed of 18, 2 reefs in the main and full genoa.

As good as it gets really :thumbup:

Woohoo. Nice speeds. We will probably come over that way this arvo bk. Maybe see you this evening.. :thumbup:

We are stuck over this side of the puddle. Darn Genset exhaust problems still. I need a workshop to fix it properly, but all my gear is at work and I can't get in. sigh... Oh well. At least we are on the boat.

We are stuck over this side of the puddle. Darn Genset exhaust problems still. I need a workshop to fix it properly, but all my gear is at work and I can't get in. sigh... Oh well. At least we are on the boat.

Ignore the genset!! :D :D :D Sail without it!

For any normal person, I would agree. But this is the problem. I suffer from sleep Apnea and I have a machine that keeps me breathing at night. It's a little power hungry and we go through ruffly 200Ahr in a 24hr period. So hence the need to charge. If I don't have the machine, I don't sleep, my wife don't sleep and while I am cool calm and mild mannered :wink: :roll: she gets as grumpy as they come :wink: :shh:

Plus I have to be able to keep the Icecream cold :wink: :lol:

Boy, I hope the weather overall was better out in the gulf than on land. From my perspective it looks like I missed one perfect night and one perfect day. That day being yesterday - the summer of '12 in Auckland. Glad I'm not out there today. Am looking forward to getting back to work - how sad is that!?!

Got an unusual email from my boss on Thursday night. "...John, could you go out and buy 2 cars for the company tomorrow please? One of them is for you.." So I did. Lots of fun spending shiploads of OPM. :thumbup:

Boy, I hope the weather overall was better out in the gulf than on land. From my perspective it looks like I missed one perfect night and one perfect day. That day being yesterday - the summer of '12 in Auckland. Glad I'm not out there today. Am looking forward to getting back to work - how sad is that!?!

Got an unusual email from my boss on Thursday night. "...John, could you go out and buy 2 cars for the company tomorrow please? One of them is for you.." So I did. Lots of fun spending shiploads of OPM. :thumbup:

Hay you 'Ato-boy' I'm inline for the bonus ha ha ha - am wishing for a Banque Populaire 5 - - 40' to 45' long =- but just as quick - - cause I would like - would LIKE to - go cruising in the SE Asian area, PLEASE - - - PLEASE - -0H I DO wish, Ciao. Enjoy cruisin' , ciao james

Decided to Leave wheels behind and head over kawau, motored all the way with the wind practically on the nose.

Holed up in north cove hiding from the wind and rain!

Still better than going to work tho!

Shane

Bit of a side issue but Nina & I were chatting after catching up with Smithy at Barrier.

Full points for balls in his choice of leaner, Ross 40, inline rig and all the associated complications wouldn't be everyone's choice of a nice easy boat to go cruising round the Gulf on with the kids, even allowing for the racing aspirations.

Bravo that Man!

:sailor:

Bit of a side issue but Nina & I were chatting after catching up with Smithy at Barrier.

Full points for balls in his choice of leaner, Ross 40, inline rig and all the associated complications wouldn't be everyone's choice of a nice easy boat to go cruising round the Gulf on with the kids, even allowing for the racing aspirations.

Bravo that Man!

:sailor:

Haha. Thanks BK.

It was certainly a major consideration when I bought it, but after doing the Simrads with Squid, much of the fear went away. Most of it is just about good planning, and the difficulties are more than compensated for by the speed the Marshall does on a passage. Also downstairs is pretty nice for a Ross 40. Not quite Bad Kitty luxury but probably 1/4 of the price, and even that was more than I could really afford!! :oops: :oops: but I did it anyway and no regrets!! The kids love it! Ziggy had the boat doing 13 kn down a wave with a reef and poled out #3 and had a big smile on his face. More fun that his opti! :D

Also the previous owners (also with 2 kids same age as mine) reckoned the runners "just added to the adventure" ...... Sure does!

Archived