Insuring Multihulls

Megwyn

A question for all you multihullers

Where would a person go to insure a multihull? I note some insurers will not touch multi's, so was wondering who you all use.

Thanks in advance :)

M

I', insured with AMI and to date no one has been able to show me a policy that is better. That being said, there is a bit of a cloud over AMI at present due to financial issues from the Christchurch earthquakes.

I', insured with AMI and to date no one has been able to show me a policy that is better. That being said, there is a bit of a cloud over AMI at present due to financial issues from the Christchurch earthquakes.

Thanks AA - just tried AMI, and moored boats are not a part of their risk assessment - only approved marinas.

I have sent off an email to Mariner Marine Insurance - thanks VB. I will see what they come back with.

Cheers :)

M

ami paid out on my claim (after a fight) but would not re insure the boat after that stating it was outside the policy scope. at the risk of suggesting someone that dose not advertise on crew PIC have been awesome to me

Also try Baileys top right, excellent feedback from Twolf. (Have you bought something?)

Come-on Megwyn - spill the beans. Let us know all about it & pics please. Knot-got pics then it's just knot real for all of us - So share c/w pics - hay? Ciao, james

ami paid out on my claim (after a fight) but would not re insure the boat after that stating it was outside the policy scope. at the risk of suggesting someone that dose not advertise on crew PIC have been awesome to me

I Second that one :-) PIC are great and infact im just in the process of moving House and Contents and other insurances to them too.

Get hold of Dan at PIC Insurance and see what he can do. Has the added bonus that they support alot of local yachting events too - BBYC Midweeks, Coastal Classic, Bay Week, BMW etc so worth looking after those that look after our sport.

This insuring caper is crazy.

I emailed several companies re insurance. I have had one response(other than the verbal from AMI) in the negative for insuring a multihull.

Indeed, I was informed that they just don't insure them.

And yet a crew member PMed me and told me that was the crowd that his multi was insured with.

Man o man, jumping through ropes and hoops here. I feel like a circus monkey!

I think I am getting to the bottom of it now. Have two companies willing to take some money off me - just need to check out the 'fine print' :)

Thanks for your help fellow crew members

M

I'm just going through this myself with the potential purchase getting a little closer.

Mariner (who I have my current boat with) will cover me and service is great. Price is good. However they wont cover capsize. Not a huge risk for the boat I am looking at but would be very expensive for me in the unlikely event it did happen.

Allianz (via Club Marine) will cover the proposed boat and don't have the capsize exclusion. However they are more expensive, and racing cover cost getting a little silly...... (ie an extra $500 to do the coastal - makes it an expensive trip!)

The problem with the main stream companys is that they don't even know what they are covering, you phone there 0800 number and talk to a lady that may have never seen a sail boat let alone know that there are different sorts. My policy with AMI covered in great detail what they were covering all in writing. But get to claim time and they were ducking hard saying that they had no idea that it was "that sort of boat" and "we would never cover that" implying that i had somehow miss lead them into taking my premiums for 3 years. It wasn't till the threat of legal action that they excepted that they didn't have a leg to stand on as the policy documents clearly stated what the boat was and how it was to be used.

I say insure with someone that knows which end of the boat is which.

BTW - Dan owns a boat (Glandestine Jet the ross 830) and is an active yachty and is pretty keen to support the Multi's and actually knows what a pitchfork or raft is!!

Love the way you think Marshy. last year was pretty good for advertising sales, if I can get 5 more new ones I'll be in a much better position to do more with the site!!!!!!! Tell everyone!!!!!!

Love the way you think Marshy. last year was pretty good for advertising sales, if I can get 5 more new ones I'll be in a much better position to do more with the site!!!!!!! Tell everyone!!!!!!

Now, if only there was somebody who had a place that sold cordage, anchors and chains .... that'd be the sort of advertisers you'd be after Squid??? :wink:

Archived