immarsat or iridium

so can any one tell me How good the immarsat phones are at the bottom of the south island and does the fact that they have to be pointed at the sky in the right direction etc etc affect there performance enough that its a faulty set up? especially very far south?

My requirements are to be able to text easy and phone call in emergency and recieve texts back.

I will not need internet.

The models I have in mind are the basic immarsat pro $1200 and $250 gets 200mins credit or the iridium 9555 that is $2300 and $500 for 200 mins credit. Figures are approx.

now I have used the iridium 9555 heaps including internet and its been good but I have to be tighter than ever before and was interested to see what other peoples experiences have been with the immarsat pro.

Thanks Skins.

Unless some one has one to rent cheap or sell in the next week. Required for round new zealand. If so please call skins 021656394.

Thanks

Hi Chris

I think i would go with what you know, you can purchcase secound hand of trade me or rent, I have just purchased from trade me and are now looking into cost to run it etc

Chris,

I suggest you should contact Peter Nally at Wright Technology. He is a world of knowledge about all satellite connections. Also Wright provide airtime for both so are happy to discuss the pros and cons. We are using an Iridium 9500 with an external high gain antenna, this version of phone by Motorola looks like the 70's brick, but my particular one has been used south of 67S with great results. The are pretty cheap second hand as they are the 1st model of phone.

From the inmarsat systems I have worked with , even the massive ship ones, inmarsat is unreliable even in the northern Southern Ocean.

Sally

I'm going to give Wright Tech a call but what is the general consensus here? Inmarsat or Iridium? Has anyone had any real difficulties with either system?

Chris,

The are pretty cheap second hand as they are the 1st model of phone.

How cheap? and where is the best place to pick up one of these cheap ugly second hand gizmos? They sound like just the ticket!

So my immarsat I had lined up just fell through any way.

Where do you find these mythical things on trade me?

i have looked for 3 months and am yet to find 1.

iridium is so much more expensive as far as I can see.

3 of the 4 rental places I found didn't even bother to call me back.

any cell number sally? I take it they are in christchurch?

Tried to call but no answer.

Still got a lot of salesman saying how good immarsat is down there but REALLY?

Archived