Saling the Legend

Megwyn

Finally got out for a sail again today. Took her up the harbour (or is it down?) towards Tauranga, but Mr RO kept turning back, concerned about the depth. I decided I had to go below and get the depth sounder going - but it was reading 110m and we were no where near in that much water!

DSCF0633r.jpg

Settled her on the beach at low tide, and tried to recalibrate the depth sounder. Seems to be working a little better - ie said we were in 3.9m of water when the chart plotter reckoned it was 16.4ft. (Got to figure that out too - what's with it being in feet?)

Managed to get a bit further that way, Mr RO with a bit more confidence with a chart to follow. Still we turned around well before the squeeze to Omokoroa.

Had the wee hand held GPS with me:

Max speed 14.4kt, moving aug 7.1kt - not too bad I thought for close-hauled on a 'not so windy' day!

DSCF0636r.jpg

Sexy sexy baby mine :D

M

Stop with the teasing... :lol:

awe - I have admired and coveted sexy clingon tris for years, now I finally am lucky enough to actually possess such a beautiful, poetry in motion, lady, why should I not tease? :twisted:

:clap: good on you it's nice to see her in such loved hands, i have known her since she was still been joined together in a dirty boat yard in henderson , it,s about time she had a loving owner ( i heard that the last one is a real pratt :wink: )
:clap: good on you it's nice to see her in such loved hands, i have known her since she was still been joined together in a dirty boat yard in henderson , it,s about time she had a loving owner ( i heard that the last one is a real pratt :wink: )

Ahh - so you know her from the bones up - I would be very interested in some stories bushman . . .

Looking out my windows this morning, I see that a nice steady SE breeze has now kicked in, and the sea looks a little lumpy, but the wind looks even on it.

We are off to brave the bar and see how long it takes us to get down to Tauranga, on the outside. On the nose again . . . :roll:

M

Sailing Day Number Two

Yeehaaa

Well, we headed out to cross the bar this morning under motor only as the wind was right on the nose. It didn't look too bad at first, until we got past the first bar, and out towards the second.

The waves suddenly started to look rather large. They were just breaking infront of us. I checked my navigation mark on the GPS, and we were on course. Mr RO gunned the motor, and we shot over the breaking waves.

RO went up . . . and over, then slammed into the next wave, then up, and over. SLAM. Up, and over. Slam. (you get the picture :crazy: ) "Oh shite" I was thinking to myself.

Finally we got outside the bar, and continued out, heading just off the wind. The waves felt enormous. Young Master RO was calling out "I'm shitting myself". (I felt some empathy with him at the time :shock: Managed to get the main up, but she continued to hoby horse for a while until we got out into much deeper water, then we were able to hoist the jib.

Note to self - next time, have it all ready to go before attempting a bar crossing.

From there, it was a wild ride down to just North of the Tauranga Harbour entrance. Eight tacks later, we turned to reach back.

The forecast was for 10 kts SE - I do believe it was a bit more than that to start - white horses everywhere, and the swell was over one metre. Didn't feel half as bad when we turned and were no longer beating. :lol:

Turned to a run into the bar. We could not see the entrance as there was breaking water all over it. The GPS took us right to the safe mark, and then I set the second mark. Breaking water infront of us, I double checked the second mark, and we were on a true course - there indeed was more breaking waves between us the and mark.

Motor on, and surfing at just over 9 kts, we took the second bar. The waves just ahead of us were breaking. I tried to time it to get through between the breakers. The young fella put the washboards in - just in case. Mr RO kept the engine running just fast enough so that the wave behind pushed us through, and we stayed ahead of it breaking.

Heart stopping moments later, the breaking water was behind us, and we breathed a sigh of relief. I looked across at the young fella, and he was shaking uncontrollably. With a smile on his face he said "I am shaking because I am so scared". I replied. "Me too buddy - my heart is going like crazy".

Safely home at last - now it is time for me to wash all the salt off again.

Scarey stuff this crossing bars - although Mr RO has had lots of experience in his fishing days, this was only my second and third attempts at crossing a bar - the first being on our way home last Monday.

Checking the forecasts again - BOP marine was swells of 1m, but Coromandel was 1.5m. I think it was more the later than the former. We are right on the meeting line between the two areas. Note to self - always take note of the Coromandel forecast as well!

Amazing how calm it is in the harbour in comparison!

Max speed - into the wind - 14.5kt. Moving average 7.1kt

Sorry no pics today. I forgot the camera!

BTW - all on board WERE wearing their lifejackets 8)

M out :wink:

Stop it you are scaring me , ok getting down 2 it are u coming down to do the raid !! We have 15 boats so far , and it not thrusday yet , pussycat is dieing to play, it is very friendy

Multihull weekend love to have u

Come down Friday my mooring is available if need phone

0211254640 lance

Mr RO doesn't get home until around 16:30 hrs (4:30pm). That is only 1 hour off dead low tide, so we wouldn't be able to make it over the bar or through the squeeze. :cry:

So it will have to be Saturday morning. Man - would love to be in the rum race - we need some rum on the boat!

Then, even sat, I am not sure how we will get down there lol. May have to come through the gap at high tide and meet you at Omokoroa.

Happy to carry stuff for others. Looks like I will have to bring the young fella down in the car first thing, then rush back to RO to bring her down . . . play it by ear. Especially after yesterdays bar performance lol.

So yes - we are coming, just don't know when we can get there yet.

See you sometime Saturday. :wink:

M

High tide is mid day ish on Saturday we will be at omkoroa at 1100am restarting heading up 2 bowentown ,u can meet us half way !! Where r u coming from ??

High tide is mid day ish on Saturday we will be at omkoroa at 1100am restarting heading up 2 bowentown ,u can meet us half way !! Where r u coming from ??

Pio Shores.

M

Ok Lance - left a message on your mobile.

Am coming down with the Squid - or more to the point, he is coming down with me - tomorrow morning. ETA soon after lunch I guess - depending on the wind :0

If your mooring is not taken - may we use it for tomorrow night ? Please? :lol:

Soon

M

Sailing Day 6 (I think)

Headed out to the yacht about 2 hrs after high tide this morning. Set about preparing her to set sail, and slipped her mooring about 30 mins later.

Motoring out towards the entrance, and hanking on the jib on the way up the channel. We headed her into wind as we rounded the point, and hoisted the jib. The water was calm with an almost imperceptible swell. I radioed into Coastguard - they like us to let them know when we are crossing the bar here.

Set the first marker on the GPS following this until we had a visual. We were unable to see the outer bar.

(As you slide past Anzac Bay, the GPS tells you that the inner marker buoy is 1nm away, then as you pass that one, it tells you the next is another 1nm out.)

Past the first buoy and on toward the second marker buoy, seeking out the flat spots in the swell. Now we had a bit of chop - around 1/2 to 3/4 metre, and could see the waves breaking to the port and starboard of the boat.

Under motor with short tacks to keep some power in the jib, I headed us out towards the outer buoy. At 0.5nm, we were looking at breaking water almost all in front. There was a patch where it was not breaking, and it was in the direction of the marker. So I continued on. The Offender continued to take each wave at a nice 40 degree angle, we were zig zagging through the waves across the flat spots. About 0.2nm from the marker, I had a wave directly in front of me that was cresting. I sought a flat spot on it to get through, and there was none.

Bugger.

I turned her bow into the wave just as it broke over us. Time slipped into slowmo as I watched the wave crash across the boat. Mr RO crouched down into the fetal position on the cockpit floor, grabbing the sides of the hatch opening. I noted the washboards were not in. The wave smashed into the cockpit, filling it, and I watched Mr RO holding on tight as I wrestled with the helm. It felt like Atlas had a hold of the rudder and was trying to wrest the helm from me with all his might. With a death grip, I held on. Milliseconds (which felt like a lifetime) after the wave broke, the cockpit was empty and we were able to assess damage. Bow facing direct into next wave. Tick. Water below? No. Tick. Crew still here, yes, tick.

Wrestling the helm it took me milliseconds to realise the wave had knocked the outboard askew. A quick correction later, and the helm was back under my control, and we were heading out through the last few waves of the bar.

Under jib and motor we continued out until we were in clearer water, well away from the influence of the bar, before we radioed in we were clear, hoisted the main, and were able to kill the motor and get on with the real reason we were out there.

However, luck was not to be with us. The outboard was still dragging in the water. I tied myself onto the stern, and climbed into the transom well, with a bit of line in hand. Tying it around the outboard with waves breaking into the transom, I tied the outboard up, and returned to the safety of the cockpit.

Out towards the Aldermans we sailed. I saw a couple of flying fish and decided it was time to do a spot of fishing. Surrendering the helm to Mr RO, I went below and got rod and lure, then came out and dropped the lure out the back.

A pleasant 30 mins was spent sitting on the tramp, holding onto the rod, and watching for debris in the water as we sailed up and then down the coastline.

Suddenly, I felt the rod pull at me, then the line started to peel.

"I got one on" I said. Mr RO headed the Offender around into the wind to allow me to reel the line in. I could see a flash of colour in the water as the fish came closer. I am always enchanted by how beautiful fish look under water. The fish dived down, trying to escape. I reeled it in further.

The fish dashed under the stern of the boat, catching the line around the outboard. Mr RO brought her back around and the fish was under me sitting on the tramp. Only the trace was left, so I put the rod carefully on the tramp, and pulled the trace in.

A Kingi! My first ever Kingi! I pulled it in, and with my Eyeometre measured it as around 550-600mm - too small. So I carefully removed the hook, and returned the terrified creature back to its realm. In comparison to equivalent sized Kahawai, this Kingi did not fight half as much. I love the fight a Kahawai gives me!

Immediately I returned the lure to the water, in the hope of another bite - but no more luck today.

A few more sweeps up and down the coast between 3 and 4 nm off Waihi Beach, and it was about 1 1/2hrs after high tide. So we headed back towards the bar. Setting it up with both markers in a straight line ahead of us the wind was almost directly on the stern. The jib could not decide which side it wanted to fly. The main looked frighteningly close to gibing.

Washboards in, foils part down, centreboard up, and engine running, radio contact made, we headed in. Again, there was no obvious point where there was no breaking water. We had a visual on the outer buoy, so made way towards it, with the inner marker flashing at me on the GPS - direct ahead.

We took the outer buoy on the starboard side, and motor-sailed towards the second. Ahead the waves were breaking, but I saw a flat spot and headed towards it. Mr RO was at his place on the motor, and I had the helm.

Halfway through, and I look behind to see a wave bearing down on us, looking like it was about to crest.

Bugger.

"Gun it" I said. "That's all we've got babe" was the answer.

Bugger.

Fingers crossed as we keep heading towards our mark.

Suddenly the wave is behind us, and picks us up. We are surfing in at 15.4kt - our fastest speed for the day - with the wave threatening to break right behind us. Yeehaaaaa. Seconds (a lifetime) later we are through, and all the breaking water is behind us.

Sedately sail on into the harbour at 7.6kt, then drop the sails before picking up the mooring again.

Conditions on the bar today were moderate. The swell forcast for 0.5m from the NE, and the wind 10kt from the NE.

Shite - we need to keep on checking the bar out to figure out just what we can handle! Scare yourself shiteless every day :lol: :lol:

Safe home, nothing broken.

Today, I know I am alive! :D

Sailing Day 7

Went out this morning, with the plan to cross the bar, sail a bit around outside, then come back in before the tide started rushing out.

But, I was a bit slow today, so we didn't get out the door until after 9am.

Then we went up the top of the Bowentown Heads to eye up the bar. It looked ok, so thought - darn it - lets go.

Of course, we got to where she is moored, grabed the dingy, and Mr RO set to the oars (he wanted to save on greenhouse gases :lol: ). However, there was quite a headwind, and we moved oh so slowly towards the boat. But hey - we did stay dry!

Finally, we were aboard and prep started. This still takes us about 30 mins (did it take you that long Offender/AA?) to get the boat ready to go, then it's slip the mooring and motoring down the channel. Wind was on the beam, and I had to have some speed on just to keep her facing out the channel. Suddenly, the motor starts to die. Then, silence.

"Shite" I think (or some similar vernacular). Quick check of the motor, and we found the hose had come just slightly dislodged from the tank. I was at the helm, trying desperately to hold the boat steady, rudder pulled tight into the wind, we slid past a mooring, but another moored vessel was coming up. Seconds (which felt like so much longer) later the motor sprung into life again, and control was resumed at the helm.

My nerves were now feeling like unwound nylon, and as we rounded the point of Shelley Bay, the bar looked rougher than it had earlier.

"Lets just stay inside today hun" I said. (I know I need to cross the bar often, so I can learn it in all it's moods, but after Mondays fun, I felt I could do without that extra excitement today.)

So we went for a sail down the harbour, and down the channel that runs close to Matakana Island. The Offender was sailing beautifully, and we went as far as the last port cone. I passed that sitting on 11.2kt, and the numbers on the depth sounder were dropping. So I called a tack, and we rounded back up the channel, on the nose.

Out in a few tacks, and up towards the harbour transit marker, and some gusts came through. I watched the GPS as it started to climb. "Foil down please" I hollered into the wind as we climbed past 13kt. Holding onto her, with full main and jib, I watched the GPS climb to 17.1kt. Woohooo - we were flying. I was nearly delivering brown stuff into my pants, pipi bed to my port, land to my starboard, land dead ahead. We were bearing down on the transit marker so fast, the only way to slow down was to "TACK" I called.

Round and heading back down the harbour again, I headed us into the wind and feathered the jib while Mr RO reefed the main. Back under sail, and the wind was still giving us a hiding, so we reefed the jib as well.

Finally feeling like the helm was under control, we sailed down the main channel towards Omokoroa, and tacked again at the second starboard marker, and headed back towards home.

The wind was on the nose, as I feathered the sails into the gusting wind. The gusts up to about 30-35kt - but in the harbour the waves never get up too high - maybe 30cm - so the Offender really didn't notice the waves. I noticed the wind though! It felt like we were going slow and getting hammered, but the GPS was giving a reading of 9 - 10kts, which I felt was perfectly respectable.

Down with the main, and we sailed under jib until we were nearly into the ebbing tide, then the iron sail was turned on as I motor sailed her in. Caught in a cross wind and cross tide coming up to the narrow entrance to our home channel, I was fighting to keep her on course. The lee was huge as I crawled more sideways towards the port marker than forwards. Needing more helm control, we dropped the jib motoring up to the mooring, and picked it up on the first pass, letting the wind blow us on.

Phew - water depth 1.2m - so up with the rudder quick before she hits the bottom as we swing around into the wind, and up with the centreboard that we had left down for a bit more control coming in.

Another exciting sail. I would have chewed nails today if I had have been able to take a hand off the helm. :lol:

I hope our next time out is a nice leisurely sail. Not looking good for tomorrow. We were hoping to go to Mayor Island for our first overnighter - but 20kt gusting 30kt on a broad reach, in 1 meter swells might not be the leisurely sail I was hoping for. :crazy:

Sailing Days 8 & 9

We headed out yesterday morning, an hour before high tide, across a slight bar, and into about 20-25kt winds - from the SW. I timed us to get out over the bar from the mooring - it took 19 minutes. Main and jib were hoisted with a reef in each on the way out, so were already deployed by the time we had crossed the bar.

We pointed straight at Mayor Island, and were disappointed to see the jib start to do the 'gibe talking' thing. So we had to tack down wind towards our destination.

After about 30 minutes, the old fella took the helm, so I decided to put out a lure. I mean, I may as well be useful huh? I selected my favorite feather lure, threw it over the back, and settled onto the tramp. Kicking back, enjoying the day, I kept watch for Rena debris, and settled into 'the zone'. Five minutes later, pulling just over 9kts, there was a tug on the rod, then it peeled off. "I got one on" I said. "Again". :thumbup:

The old fella rolled his eyes, and said "Ok. I'll slow us down. But we are going to go faster before we go slower".

So he rounded us to windward, and suddenly we were hit by the full force of the wind and the swell. :sick: I diligently wound in the line, fighting the beasty on the end, waiting to see what we had. I pulled it up over the stern beam, and onto the tramp - the young fella handed me a knife. "Thanks hun" I said, "but I will bring it down into the cockpit". So I dehooked it ( a tuna) and with a firm hold, I carried it into the cockpit, and ickied it.

By the time I had gutted and bled it - there was blood everywhere, so I threw everything I could into the bucket that was on standby in the back of the cockpit ( :shh: David) and climbed back into the well for a clean up. Meantime, the old fella had us back on course and things were a bit more comfortable.

So it was serious clean up mode. I mean, it's fine fishing off the super yacht - but my goodness, don't leave blood all over her! By the time I was finished, you would never have guessed that the cockpit had looked like a slaughter house just minutes earlier. The young fella wrapped the fish up, and put it in the cool bin.

Three long and lazy gibes later, we look into a bay and say - "Oh - there it is. That's SE Bay isn't it?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

So a quick gibe later we were Flying into SE Bay at 11.2kt.

"Reduce sail!", and the old fella starts the OB and runs forward to drop the jib, then drops the main. Under motor only, the sea is rocking us like I used to rock the ol' rocking horse at my great grandmothers house - full on. The lee from the wind has me almost heading sideways into the bay.

Into the shelter of the bay, and we looked around us at the splendid beauty before us. Exquisite. Only one other yacht at anchor, so we almost had full choice of an anchorage. Next we were putting along, and I was waiting for the signal from the anchor man, and the motor just died. So down with the anchor and I was over the back trying to restart the motor (after checking all the fuel lines).

Once the anchor was safely set, we tidied up the boat, and I set to making lunch. Fresh delicious shushimi was on the menu thanks to my earlier efforts. The young fella said "Yuck. I like to eat my food warm". So I trimmed off the bits that are less enjoyable raw, and we cooked those for him, while we enjoyed the shushimi ourselves.

After lunch, a lovely afternoon was spent just lazing about the boat making the most of the comfort that she offers. The only down side being the boat was dry. :evil: No - one (read the old fella) had brought the booze!

We watched another yacht come in. He was ducking and diving all over the place as he dropped his sails. I said to the old fella "We must have looked a bit like that ourselves as we came in". The other yacht also had some lee, and was rocking like a crazed kid on a rocking horse.

It was such a glorious day inside the bay, that I decided I needed to go for a swim. We rowed into shore, and swam the dingy back. Then I decided it was time I overcame my fear of diving into the sea off the back of the boat - something I have never done. Yes - I always gently lower myself off the back. I actually hate putting my face under the water - a fear I have had since a child and nearly drowned 4 times over 2 summers when trying to swim in the sea.

In all honesty - it did take me one hour, standing there, trying to psyche myself up to dive in. But I did it! Finally, I dived in, and swam around. Then I got out and dived in off the ama.

Yes! The fear is concured. (I hate having fears - conquered my fear of heights by fruit-picking years ago - from the top of a 10ft ladder, my fear of enclosed spaces I challenged by going caving. So it feels good to have conquered another).

I can't wait to dive off the back for a swim again!

We met up with another sailor from Tauranga, and shared after-dinner coke and chips with him aboard the Offender - he had come away on a dry weekend also. Go figure! Short of being able to turn my hand to turning water into wine - we were stuck.

Top speed yesterday - 13.3kt.

We awoke this morning before the horizon showed a glimmer of the new day, and prepared to leave for home. A cup of coffee each, and everything stowed, we weighed the anchor about 6:30am, slipping quietly out of the bay - even before the charter fishing boats headed out.

Dawn shone its golden light on the beautiful morning as we hoisted the sails, and headed around the point to face home.

The wind was just S of SE - and had been giving a nice send into the bay overnight which helped me drop off to sleep everytime something woke me, and just right to give us a beam reach home.

I set a course for a close reach - to give me room if the wind changed, and we were off on our way at a good pace. 9.2kt was out best speed for the first 1/2 of the sail back.

With me at the helm, the old fella went below and cooked us bacon and eggs for breakfast. Then he took the helm so I could eat it! (He is good to me).

10nm down the track, the wind had all but died, and was cycling around, heading us off. We pulled in the sails hard, and added the iron sail to the wardrobe. Throwing in a couple more tacks, we finally reached the bar 1hr 20 mins before high tide, and crossed a flat bar.

Ahh - so nice to have a couple of good experiences on the bar after the last few!

Home, and safe. An awesome over-nighter, and the first time we have been out to the Mayor together. Both of us have been there before, the old fella on fishing charters, and me several times on a 50ft launch - many years ago. It was the young fella's first time there, and he was amazed at how clear the water was, and the glass-like black obsidian surrounding the bay.

We are looking forward to our next excursion out there. Next time we will try and tee it up that we can go for a walk to the lake, so the young fella can see the obsidian in all its glory.

M out.

Archived