Annual rant - lights

Fogg

Oh, and while one may be safe driving a porsche at 150 kph, it's the other road users who 'cause' the accidents by not realizing you're traveling at a ridiculous speed. "Road safety" and a "safe speed" are not variables dictated solely by arrogance and the engineering excellence of whatever penis-enlarging car you might be driving. They are also heavily influenced by the abilities of all road users you encounter to be able to predict what stupid things you and the porsche are going to to next!

Apologies to drivers of porsches who aren't compensating for other inadequacies.

Where's the apology to V8 Holden drivers with similar problems?? Huh, huh?? :D :D Usualy if I'm doing 160km, there's no-one else on the road....

Think I got the rules right here DrW :

No you can't protest the actions of a vessel outside the time they are racing unless they violate a sailing instruction, eg, some S.I.s require that you do not recross the line after you have finished. Something like failure to display appropriate lights outside of racing is a colreg issue and the domain of the harbour master or I suppose maritime police.

Also a small correction on the rules, no you are not permitted to use your motor for propulsion for any reason while racing. What may have caused you some confusion is that some clubs opt to insert clauses in their S.I.'s which allow limited use of a motor in specific circumstances. That's an exception though, the default is not and except where a specific S.I. may otherwise allow, if you use your motor for propulsion you are obligated to withdraw, even if using your motor was the only sensible and seamanlike thing to do. Only exception which I'm not so sure on is if you are rendering assistance to another vessel in distress / mob incident.

No Bogan, most racing keel boats don't have one. I cannot recall a 9.30 or 88 with one, probably is but most don't. Pretty sure they would laugh if you order one in a carbon rig for a <60ft race boat. You pass Category inspection because your white emergency nav light could be used to b compliant. I will hang it up when I start the motor. Yea right.

Pretty sure that any dark Wednesday night when everyone is motoring back in to the marina, less than 10% show a steaming light.

JH, son your chip has slipped, straiten it up before u trip over.

Possums, maybe I don't get it but it doesn't seem that complicated?

"But at night, away from the lights of the city, in a blow, with a set of unrecognisable nav lights bearing down on you" -AC 2012

f*ck AC you've been reading too much Mills and Boon, that's a bit dramatic isn't it. After all, we are just talking about the omission of a steaming light. Please!

And what is the net effect on any other users?  We recreationals all give way to large commercial and ferries anyway so no effect.   As all configurations look identical from a light perspective, from the stern quarters and you would be overtaking boat to have an issue, so no effect. Most yachties give decisive and clear avoidance when another is sailing and they are motoring, this is the only scenario where lack of a steaming light could have an effect.  

Possibly on your daaaark and stormy night somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle when someone is coming out of the mist.......and a vessel showing sailing configuration lights in your give way sector, could unnecessarily cause someone to  make a avoiding turn as they were infact motoring without a steaming light.......but it would be foolhardy to stand on, yacht or power, steaming light or not. If torches on sails haven't caused a response assume he is running you down. Of course not having ventured past North head yet this is only conjecture on my part, so all you "men of the sea" feel free to chip in.

Combine that with the fact that most of those " prima donna hard core dickwadd racing types" spend 99% of their time sailing not motoring. I certainly don't know anyone who goes motoring around in a race boat in a blow, bearing down on people for their jollies, do you?

And pw I am happy to report that since you are no longer plying the Harbour and the resultant IQ increase, most of the ferries and sailors have the courtesy and brains between them that issues are minimal, and we dickwadds have been able to substitute the energy drinks and proteen shakes with an amber liquid responsible for the wonderful shape we are in today.

So I would repeat, get a life, you are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's not like we are talking about some heinous thing like jay walking, or parking outside the dairy for two minutes without putting money in the meter or something!

Now Dr, you make a good point re other road users in the Porsche, but if they saw one they should assume it is going + 20km/hr. Or for those who have difficulty recognizing the different Marques a sensor could b fitted. Imagine, "Porsche approaching + 20k" or "Aston Martin from behind+ 30k" and even "lemon in a Morris 1300 land crab -40k". It would be a massive safety improvement, and probably singlehandedly halve the road toll.

Brilliant idea just brilliant.

Thanks for the clarification on the racing rules, Markm. As I say, it's been a while since I read any, not having entered a race for a while.

Sorry Smithy, I'll extend that apology to specifically include Holden and Ford drivers, so long as ownership of said vehicle it's not of a compensatory nature :)

Bull, it seems that your wit is only outdone by your apparent arrogance.

No one seems to have picked up on Riggers point (and quote from the rules) that yachts under 12m can use their anchor light as a steaming light (so long as they cover or disconnect the stern light).

When coming into an anchorage I have nearly collided with yachts using garden lights. They are just too dim. The ones in question would have had a range of less than 10m.

I cannot recall a 9.30 or 88 with one, probably is but most don't.
He's nearly right, about 50%, probably a bit more, of each fleet doesn't have one, me included. It appears one has never been on my mast.

Has it ever been a issue, nope. But then I do adjust my style to suit and motor feck all in open water anyway, 200mts at one go would be a lot. But a steaming light is being fitted shortly anyway, as it tis a Reg requirement and about the only one we can't comply with at the moment. Knot that anyone ever checks.

Poorly positioned, to dim and/or often over lapping Port/Stb/Stern lights I see as more of an issue. Some are shockers.

As Dr Watson suggests the likelyhood of Government regulation because of low compliance is far more important worry than anything else here. Compulsory boat registration ,boat WOF, skipper exams are all going to happen wether 5, 10, or 20years. I best way to put this restriction off is to follow the rules now. Governments are very responsive to mishaps you only have to look at cycle helmet laws, pool fences, gun licences, and lets see what comes out of Pike river and Christchurch not to mention leaky homes. A couple of good collisions and say half a dozen deaths over a summer due to incorrect or no lights and legislation will be in the House on Monday morning. I am sure you will not be half as cocky then Bull (appropriate name I must say!) And you misguided garden light fans will have a bloody site more to worry about.

It won't be a problem for Bull. He obviously sees himself as being above the law and rules, but he can't see that his attitude will eventually bring more restrictions down on all of us. It shows an absolute lack of respect for all other users and all people like him should be shown the contempt they deserve.

I cannot recall a 9.30 or 88 with one, probably is but most don't.
He's nearly right, about 50%, probably a bit more, of each fleet doesn't have one, me included. It appears one has never been on my mast.

To reiterate Riggers point (and Ellys reminder), boats under 12m don't require a dedicated steaming light because they can use their mast top anchor light as an all round white light provided they don't display a stern light at the same time. What they can't do is use a tri light at the top of the mast while motoring as the all round white light needs to be at least one metre higher than the nav lights.

Archived