Should professionals/amateurs be split?

An interesting comment. 2 actually.

From SA front page.

SA: Assuming you can sell the boat, what's next for you?

NC: I'd like to stay with the Mini-Maxis, it's really a great fleet. The owner/driver rule gives people like me a class to go sail in without having to race against all the Cup guys. So hopefully we'll go back to McConaghy's to build our fifth boat and race her next year in Europe.

SA: Speaking of the Cup, what would it take to get you involved as a Challenger?

NC: If there was a high performance option for the cup that was affordable for someone like me, of course I'd be keen to get involved! So long as anything I did wouldn't disrupt what Team New Zealand is doing now.

04/28/10

I would also have taken into account the comment that followed those two:

SA: So you're a fan?

NC: A huge fan, of course I am - a thousand per cent. They're great guys, all mates of mine, and many of them sail on my boat.

So although he counts himself as an owner-driver, the crew is absolutely as professional as they come.

Good point Mr M.

Interesting that a dude of his experience, resources and even with a full pro crew, sees a difference between a total pro boat and a owner driver driven one though. I wouldn't have expected that myself or at least knot from him.

As you say, again it highlights the grey areas either side of the definitions.

He doesn't meet the criteria for a professional - most likely because he is paying everyone else to turn up but not himself! Also I am sure there is no offense in saying he wouldn't be at the standard of, say, a Russell Coutts.

And yet you wouldn't exactly call him an amateur either. :problem:

Good point Mr M.

Interesting that a dude of his experience, resources and even with a full pro crew, sees a difference between a total pro boat and a owner driver driven one though. I wouldn't have expected that myself or at least knot from him.

So ....Berterelli and Elison are not Pro then - even with all the Pro level sailing they have done....because- in Berterellis case he was the"owner/driver".

NC's comments lose some credibility there as an Owner driver surrounded by Pro's.

I can think of a rather nice Gold boat thats often sailed in a similar mode....

I'nm hoping this conversation doesn't end up with me having to double my crews salaries....

I'nm hoping this conversation doesn't end up with me having to double my crews salaries....

So just how much is double nothing? :crazy:

We have to bring our own rum and now rum for Toles as well?? :?

Interesting with Lazza and Bertie though. I suppose they pay rather than get paid so they don't count, just like NC. None of their 'jobs' would qualify I'd think. Cars, drugs and software.

Oh hang on a sec. Drugs, TNZ crew...... hmmmm.... only a tenuous link at best I suppose ;)

Archived